Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Kathy D

Air Mattress on Couch

We have a 2010 Keystone Cougar 322QBS with the hide away bed/air mattress. The first year and a half was good and it held up. This year it has started to leak. We have taken it off the couch and sprayed it with a water hose to find leaks. (patched to very small holes, not sure if that was the problem) This mattress still leaks. I have went out and bought a coleman air mattress from Target. It stayed up for two nights and now it leaks!! I would love to get rid of this couch and have the couch that was in our flagstaff (fold out bed with mattress- not an air mattress).
Any suggestions??? The bunkhouse does get used, but it's not as comfortable for older people (other family members that are in thier mid 20's) to sleep in the bunks. I'm so frustrated!!
2010 Cougar 322QBS
Kathy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The first time we used our air mattress it leaked. For us, it wasn't the mattress body, but the outlet port at the foot of the bed. There is a silicone ring gasket in the lid of that valve that is prone to leak. If you read the instructions that came with the mattress, you'll find a procedure for reseating the silicone ring. For us, it made a leaking night's sleep turn into a week at a time without having to refill the mattress.

If you can't find the booklet, let me know and I'll post the reseating instructions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Kathy D

When we picked up our camper and did the PDI there wasn't even an air mattress on the couch. They went and took one out of another camper and put in ours. We did not get any instructions or patches! That air mattress has the built in pump. The one from Target I'm still working with. If I don't get it figured out by the end of this trip, I'll return it when we get home and figure something else out.

Thanks
2010 Cougar 322QBS
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you're very frustrated at your "aerobed" mattress so you went to Target and bought a Coleman mattress. You may be interested to know that Coleman manufactures Aerobed. They are all made by the same company.

Here is a link to repair of the outlet valve. I can't post the pictures, but you can go to this link and see the entire repair procedure to clean/reseat your valve. The instructions describe a "black valve" the same procedure applies to the white and the cream colored valves. On mine, this completely fixed the problem. Hope it helps you.

http://www.aerobed.com/Assets/manual...structions.pdf

In the owner's manual, there's a caution that says DON'T INFLATE THE BED WHEN COLD AS IT MAY CAUSE LEAKS..........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Kathy D

I am very frustrated. I think I figured out the coleman air mattress I bought from Target. I don't think I had the valve completly closed and that's where the air was escaping during the night. The kids say that mattress is not as comfortable as the one that came with the camper. Just wish I could figure that one out. It was so much easier to work with.
2010 Cougar 322QBS
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
OhhWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy D View Post
I am very frustrated. I think I figured out the coleman air mattress I bought from Target. I don't think I had the valve completly closed and that's where the air was escaping during the night. The kids say that mattress is not as comfortable as the one that came with the camper. Just wish I could figure that one out. It was so much easier to work with.
Did you happen to read the post(s) above?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Firecapt

We have the same air mattress that we use in our stick house when our Son has a friend over for a sleep-over. We had the same problem with the valve. We have replaced two of them.

The second one seems to have done the trick but I'm not going to hold my breath

When we replace this one we will be going to Costco and purchasing one of their air beds; better quality and an unconditional guarantee.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote