Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
NCKman

Premiere 31BHPR vs Sunset Trail Reserve 31BH

We are deciding this week. We are down to a 2013 Keystone Premiere 31BHPR or 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 31BH

Price is not an issue, within $1000.00

Features we like on the Sunset Trail:

Larger Queen Bed
TV Mounted Higher
Fireplace
Dinette Table seems better quality, more comfortable sitting area
Door to Bunkhouse
Paint Scheme
Pull Out Sofa bed in living area
2 year warranty (vs 1 on Premiere)

Features we like on the Premiere

Bunk Room Layout, Full cushion bed in Bunk house, queen size for adults
Larger Pantry
Outdoor Kitchen Layout
400 lbs lighter then Sunset

The Sunset Trail has more features that we like, however, we felt it might not be as well constructed.

We noticed rippled wall paper over the kitchen sink, the bunk house door would not latch, caulking around the wood on the entertainment center. The jacknife couch in the bunk house was not very comfortable and we could not get it to fold back up. We also found the expandable blinds in the master bedroom hard to latch and suspect they would be quickly replaced with regular curtains. Don't like the bumper mounted Grill in the ODK.

The Premier had a lot of selling features - flush lighting, frameless windows, large storage area, however, not sure of the value of those.
When researching the Premiere, noticed posts about bent axels. Also noticed that the carrying weight is doubled in the Sunset (2600 vs 1300) which makes us question if the Sunset is built better from that perspective. Premier uses cable for slideout, Sunset uses gear / track.

Ultralight is important to us, which is why we are looking at these units.

By all outward appearances, the Sunset Trail seems to be the higher end trailer, however, since the price is so close, we are wondering if
we are missing something.

Anyone have any input?
NCKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
snow

We just purchased a 31 bhpr and it's been great we only had it out three short trips and been in and out of it so much in the driveway it's not funny we have had no issues with the slide out ,that's one ? I asked about cable vs rack and they said its been performing ok , I guess we will see , we're getting ready to go on a long trip this Thursday , but for now I would go with the 31 bhpr ,the outdoor kitchen is great that was the selling point for us and also the bunk room is perfect . The only complaint I have so far is its so high off the ground that it rocks a lot but I'm getting ready to fix that with x chocks I hope . Good luck with whichever one you get let me know if you have any more ?s on the bullet⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
NCKman

Smile Update

Here is a quick update ...

We decided to go with the Sunset Trail Reserve, picking it up tomorrow and will do a test trip this weekend.

Both campers were very nice. The main item in the Premier that kept drawing us back was the queen size fold out cushion bed in the bunkhouse (Sunset has a Jackknife couch) for the occasional trip that we have other adults with us, however, we decided that we could do without that.

In addition to the items mentioned in this thread, the main items that we noticed were:

Number of outlets - this is important to us as we have multiple cell phones, tablets, laptops and sometimes work from the campground. The Premier had 1 outlet in the master, one outlet in the bunk house, one under the kitchen cabinets, and 1 in the bathroom (facing the outside door, so you might not leave items plugged in if in the way). The Sunset has a bunch - 2 in the Bedroom (with corner shelves to store your electronics, 2 in the living area (1 next to couch, 1 next to dinette), 1 under Kitchen cabinet, 2 in Bunk Area, 1 in bathroom. Advantage Sunset

Bunks in Sunset are rated at 300 lbs, Premier has one at 150 lbs, one at 250. Advantage Sunset

More storage are in outdoor kitchen on Sunset since the grill in mounted on the bumper. Advantage Sunset

Queen bed in Master is 6" longer in Sunset, no feet hanging off the ends. Advantage Sunset

The Premier had a larger kitchen pantry (no pantry, just drawers under the fridge in the Sunset). Additionally, the closet in the living area (across from the bathroom door) is a full closet in the Premier (can be used as a wardrobe), it is two seperate units on the Sunset so it would be hard to hang clothes. Advantage Premier

The quality of the drawers in the Premier appeared to better constructed then the Sunset, which seemed to have more play and lighter material. Cabinets and drawer quality was item we ran across in other forum posts. Advantage Premier, but crossing our fingers that not an issue on the Sunset
The Sunset has side access to the storage area under the dinette seats, Permier did not. Advantage Sunset.

Bells and Whistles (on the models we looked at) - as mentioned in my original post, lighting in the Premier looked very nice (flush mounts) and there was a unique look with the frameless windows. It also included a small flat screen in the bunk area. Sunset has synthetic leather couches, fireplace, bronze colored fixtures in kitchen / bathroom, and electric jacks. Price difference of $1000.00. Advantage (IMO) Sunset

Customer Support - Owners of Crossroad brands (sunset) really came out in support of their camper and the quality of factory support when needed. Hopefully we won't need it, and I'm sure the dealer plays a big role in this, but Advantage Sunset.

As you can see, we spent quite a bit of time thinking about this. The Sunset just more well thought out and the additional bells and whistles are a plus. We are looking forward to many fun camping trips in it!
NCKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for the update and, by all accounts, you've certainly done your homework and have given both units a good going over. For you, the Sunset works best and that is what counts! Enjoy your soon-to-be new TT and you are most welcome to stay with us and take part in the forum even though you've decided to go with another brand.
Enjoy and travel safely.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
KanTC

Congrats on your decision, and your new Sunset Trail.

A 60x80 master bed was a "must have" for us too, that's one reason we chose our Laredo.

One important thing to keep in mind -- IF your trailer has 30 amp service -- regardless of the number of outlets available, you'll probably need
to limit the number of 'electrical items' being used at the same time with the A/C... otherwise you'll over-load the breaker.

Here's one thread, and I know there's a more recent one too (but I couldn't find it ):
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3054

Your Sunset owners manual will likely have a similar list of appliance 'amps used'.

Enjoy your new trailer, and happy trails!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
snow

Hope you enjoy your new RV I'm sure it will be fine after you add your personnel touches , I know what you mean about the bed I wish mine was another 6" or so but we only use it at night to sleep Ha!Ha, we are at Bethpage campground as we speak and there is a sunset a couple of streets up looks really nice , enjoy ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Tags
31bhpr