Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
DocData757

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
I cannot say this for all Alpine models or for all Keystone models . . .

On the 2011 Alpine 3640RL model, the Lippert I-beam frame upon which the RV is constructed, there is an empty (unused) shock bracket located behind the port front tire and the starboard rear tire. If one starts changing tire profile or rim size, this bracket may or may not be a problem. I would encourage one to check the clearance between this bracket and the tire accordingly.

Ron
Can you post a photo showing what you are talking about? I see nothing on mine that would interfere with the tire. The closest I come to structural part is the bracket the holds the folding steps and a half in increase in radius should not cause any issue there.

Thanks,
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
DocData757

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
I personally went with the Maxxis because I have a 2102 Alpine and because of the weight I did not have much of a choice without going to different rim size. Did not want the Goodyear Marathon or Carlise. Too much bad press.

I recently had a blowout with the Towmax tires. Caused 2.5K in damage.......... Not overloaded, correct tire pressure, drove under 65, and they were only 10 months old. Now I am going to monitor with TST TPMS.

Everyone has to make the choice. If these do not work I will buy Rickson 17.5 rims and some G rated tires. Then install shock on my 5th so it does not shake apart.
Could you make a point to keep us up to date on your experience with the Maxxis tires? $800 vs $2400 (for the 17.5 tires plus rims) is a lot of difference.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
chivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
Could you make a point to keep us up to date on your experience with the Maxxis tires? $800 vs $2400 (for the 17.5 tires plus rims) is a lot of difference.

Thanks

I will. Unfortunately, I live in California and the $800.00 is actually $1,000.00. I was going to the Ricksons but the $2,400.00 plus installation of the shocks were more than I could bear. I just put on Rickson 19.5 rims and tires on the truck to the tune of 3K.

I am getting the Maxxis installed Saturday and then Sunday installing the TST TPMS. Maiden voyage about a week later.
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
golfpro

I understand from other forums that carlisle tires are making tires in the USA now. I would check the tire casing before I paid for them.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
geo

Quote:
Can you post a photo showing what you are talking about? I see nothing on mine that would interfere with the tire. The closest I come to structural part is the bracket the holds the folding steps and a half in increase in radius should not cause any issue there.

Thanks,
Dave -

Sure. I can post a couple. I have one pic from a member Alpinecummin. I'll take a pic of mine when I'm over there tomorrow and post it too. Try to have them online tomorrow night.

Have you considered the Goodyear G614? They can run at LRE (80#) per Goodyear's instruction. Just a thought.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
DocData757

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Have you considered the Goodyear G614? They can run at LRE (80#) per Goodyear's instruction. Just a thought.

Ron
I'm just starting to get my head into this tire game and right now its going in circles.

Question... would the LT235/85R16 G Goodyear 614's require new rims?

Dave
Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #27
geo

Quote:
I'm just starting to get my head into this tire game and right now its going in circles.

Question... would the LT235/85R16 G Goodyear 614's require new rims?

Dave
Dave,

They did not require new rims on my 2011 3640RL. I did get new metal valve stems, and balancing, of course. Per Goodyear's specs, I'm running them at LRE.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
DocData757

I didn't see that pressure setting on the GY website. Did it come with the tires? If not, where did you find that number?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
geo

Quote:
I didn't see that pressure setting on the GY website. Did it come with the tires? If not, where did you find that number?

Thanks
Dave -

Go to http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-...n-loading.aspx, and on the right, click on "Download Load Weight Inflation Table". It's a pdf file.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
DocData757

Excellent! It looks like I would need 95 psi to get the weight handling capacity to match the certification tag on the Alpine. 80psi give 3042 but as said previously, the Cert tag shows 3420. Are the rims on the Alpine rated for that much pressure?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
geo

Quote:
Excellent! It looks like I would need 95 psi to get the weight handling capacity to match the certification tag on the Alpine. 80psi give 3042 but as said previously, the Cert tag shows 3420. Are the rims on the Alpine rated for that much pressure?
Dave -

Mine were. I know another 3640RL owner who also had the higher pressure rims. As others have said, "Your mileage may vary", so it's time for the flashlight and a crawl to the underbelly!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
DocData757

Crawling is not a problem. Where do I look?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
geo

Quote:
Crawling is not a problem. Where do I look?
Dave -

From one of our members, Alpinecummin: "I had the same question on my Alpine rims and I contacted Keystone to see if the rims were rated at 80 or 110 psi. They could not answer the question so they gave me the number to their vendor. I contacted the vendor and they told me to look on the backside of the rim for a stamp. If 3250 was stamped on the rim it was a 80 psi "E" rated rim. If 3750 was stamped on the rim it is 110 psi "G" rated rim."

As far as the shock brackets, here's a couple of pictures. The starboard picture was taken from the rear looking forward, and the port picture is taken from the front looking rearward.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starboard.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1516  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #34
DocData757

Ok, lets see if I can ask this correctly...

Take a tire like the 614 that is LRG but can be run at different pressures for different LR's.
What is the effect in running it at a lower pressure with weight on it higher than the associated LR for that psi but not anywhere near the upper LR of G?

Tire is a LRG. Running at LRE (which says 3042 per tire) with actual weight of 3400 per tire.

????

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
DocData757

Not making much progress. My rims are stamped '865' on all of them on the side edge of the rim and that is the only numbers I can find on it.

BTW, I have those shock absorber brackets There are a total of 4, one per tire.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #36
geo

Quote:
Not making much progress. My rims are stamped '865' on all of them on the side edge of the rim and that is the only numbers I can find on it.

Dave -

Well, first off I think I can say we have some differences between our Alpine models. I know that can be classified as "Duh"! Al and I only have one shock bracket per side, not two (or one per tire). The "865" I can't help with either. Might be a call to Keystone Customer Service or the rim manufacturer?

For your previous question . . . not really sure on the question. I'm a little surprised that CW hasn't answered. One definite item, you probably should get your RV weighed, per axle, to know for sure the load you are placing on each axle. (Tire pressures should match per axle, and in this case, probably across axles.) Some places will give you the weight per tire. I know the Escapees do this at Livingston, TX and their ralleys with SmartWeight. It is the air pressure that actually supports the load, the tire just acts to contain that air pressure. But containing that pressure can be a challenge with the stresses placed on the tire, etc. Run the tire with too little air pressure, or too much air pressure - problems! As CW has mentioned and is within his blog (which is very good!), some tire manufacturers do have inflation tables and different load ratings for their tires. The Alpine does have a high "personal load" capability, right around 3000 pounds! So depending upon what you have in the way of personal items/food/etc. . . need to get a good weight reading. If the inflation matches the weight load, then the tire will be running down the road within the correct "foot print" and specs. As I said before, my tires were about 10 degreesF cooler than the old TowMax on a recent trip.

If I remember correctly, forum member mhs4771 ran G614s on their previous Montana and the present Thor RV. You might PM them and ask about long term usage and their experience.

Overall, however, I believe that all of us could benefit by pulling in to the CAT Scales and getting weighed, or visiting an Escapees function and getting a SmartWeight. I tend to doubt if many of us know the exact (or even approximate) weight of what is following us down the road.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #37
chivas

Well I installed the Maxxis tires this weekend and the TPMS and everything looks good. I am going on a short trip this weekend. While installing the tires look what was on the inside of one of my TowMax tires. A golf ball size bubble. Do not know how I missed that. The TPMS system seems to be about 1.7 psig higher than my calibrated gauge.

On another note, my 2012 Alpine aluminum rims were stamped, "Max Load 3580". The Maxxis tire is rated for 3420 at 80psig. I am not worried because I have weighed everything and I doubt the trailer police will care.

Trailer axles while attached to truck 11,300--2825 per tire
Total weight of trailer not attached to truck 14,140
Trailer hitch weight 2,840

I almost went to the Goodyear 614's but was concerned about shaking the camper apart. Plus I do not have shocks and I would recommend it to anyone who runs the 614s to install shocks. I did not want to create another problem years down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1517  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #38
chivas

Quote:

You might have to remove the tire to see it. It will be stamped on the inside of one of the spokes.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #39
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
Well I installed the Maxxis tires this weekend and the TPMS and everything looks good. I am going on a short trip this weekend. While installing the tires look what was on the inside of one of my TowMax tires. A golf ball size bubble.

You probably just saved yourself enough (from your next trip when the tire would have blown) to pay for the Maxxis.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
DocData757

Ok... making some progress. My rims have...

MAX LOAD
3580 LBS

...cast into the metal on the backside of one of the spokes.

So, if I am understanding all this, I should be able to change to 614's on my existing rims, inflate to 95# for LRF and get the proper foot print and load capacity.

Yes?