Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
trainshop

Question Dry camping

Can anyone comment from experence about dry camping with a cougar 26bhs or any other keystone??? how,s the insulation,,ventilation battery use ect
thanks
trainshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainshop View Post
Can anyone comment from experence about dry camping with a cougar 26bhs or any other keystone??? how,s the insulation,,ventilation battery use ect
thanks
Very little difference from any other manufacturer's RV's.

Battery use is not a trailer issue; it is 110% dependent on how you do things.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Nimbus

Funny you should ask about dry camping. My wife & I are taking our 2013 Cougar 21' on our first trip into the Cascade Mts. The first two nights will be dry camping at a National Forest site. This is our first RV so we'll see how it goes. With the night temps in the upper 50's it should be fine with no AC.

The third night will be at an RV park in the Skagit area where we'll have hook-ups.

I plan to purchase a generator that has the power to run the AC etc.

We'll return & report!
Nimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
azlee56

I love dry camping as a woman. The thing to watch for is what do you want to do. I like to watch movies, so the generator has to be there. I do that in early afternoon, then I sit out and about. You have to watch the fresh water and be careful with the black water. I will do dishes once a day or every two days.

The battery is what makes it or breaks it. We have one light on and shutoff others, in the winter and the furnace is running, we recharge.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
randy69

Dry Camping

We dry camp most of the time. Boys ride in the sand and I lke to drink beer. We run our generator from 8:00 am to 12:00 sometimes. At night we watch movies outside on the side of the trailer. We only use our battries with out gen occasionaly. Also if you haven't dry camp very much make sure you unplug the trailer from the truck. This will save truck battery in case you rundown the rv's. The truck battery can be plugged back in to start the gen or if no gen you can start the truck and charge rv battries. Back to the first question, the insulation in my opinion sucks, And the ventalation is good in the bathroom and in the garage. The hood fan don't know, I always cook out side on a coleman propane stove in the mornings. and a BBQ. at night.
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
flc

When dry camping I always have two batteries and a Honda 2000i. I'm not interested in TV so mostly use the generator sparingly to keep everything charged up. I haven't dry camped yet in my new trailer but other Keystones I used have been as good as anything else on insulation. One thing, older trailers kitchen hoods vented outside. Most new ones don't - they just move it around. I installed a Fantastic Vent fan in my kitchen vent opening and it was a very good move - even when not cooking.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
28Bunkhouse

Dry camping

Up here in the great White North we do a lot of camping with no hook ups to power or water. Use your electrical appliances judisciously, even then in about two days you will need to charge your battery(ies) As others have said a generator is a good idea, if you want to use air you will need at least a 3000 watt unit. If you have the money change your light bulbs to LED, they are pricey though.

Regards Brian

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
f6bits

I’m surprised that nobody has said much about water and waste. That’s the killer for me. Or the time it was 25 degrees out and the furnace ran our single 12V battery in a hurry, but that’s another story.

We have 30 gallon tanks (fresh, grey, black). I can refill fresh from water cans if there’s a water supply nearby. Black lasts a week (or more). Grey fills up in a hurry because I haven’t mastered it yet. I can get by with a minimal shower and so can the wife. But limited showers and the need to wash baby bottles and cookware fill up the grey in a few days. So I have a portable tank if we have to dump, but that only works if we’re near a dump station.

Next time we dry camp, it’ll be in a mild climate with a nearby water supply and dump station. And our 2000W generator.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
randy69

grey water filling up too quick

I agree with that one. How do you master that shower head? Turn the hot on and all you get is cold water for a while. And when you stop the shower head to soap. Try to push it back on for the temp you had set it for. Oweee that burns. There are some campgrounds going to Big Bear that let you dump your grey water. But they want you to use a garden hose and water the bushes. That's kinda neet

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
mikell

I used to use a 5 gallon tomato buckert to collect the grey water in. Had to dig a little hole so it would fit under the pipe but worked fine. End of the week rinsed the bucked and filled in the hole. left the valve full open then a short piece of garden hose so it didn't make noise running into the bucket.

I had a friend that had 40 acres next to state land in Michigan. Went there one weekend and a group had cut the fence and moved on to the back of his property. Called the DNR and they kicked them off but as they left they opened their tanks and drained them. Called the DNR and they were arrested a few miles away and all 3 rigs impounded truck 5th wheel and everything in them. Probably didn't think it was so funny when they paid $15000 to clean up their mess and get their rigs back
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
randy69

One bad apple

If dry camping areas all let you dump grey water with out making a mess. Some idiot will dump there black. So no dumping for anybody. And yes I talk to some of those idiots. They think is funny, It screws it up for everbody.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

Mikel that is some story. don't ya just love it when the good guy wins
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

One way to save on "gray water space" is to wash dishes outside. If you have an outside shower, put a small table with a couple of dish pans on it next to the shower. Hot and cold running water, wash the dishes, and when you're done, just like any other "outside water" just dump the dishpans under a bush. That's what we'd do is we were tent camping, and it doesn't hurt the environment. Also, it's pretty easy to shower outside if you build a small wooden platform to stand on. Use the outside shower, wet down, (wearing a bathing suit please) soap up, rinse off. No water into the gray tank, and you get clean to boot.

Of course, in Michigan, with our sandy soil, drainage is good, so there's hardly ever (usually never) a problem with mud. Your experience may be different where there's more clay in the soil.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Paper plates and Grilling are your best grey water beaters. The shower outside also is a good one. If you need to conserve your fresh water you can recycle your grey water, even for toilet use. Black water tank you can help along by not putting paper products into the tank and using alternate facilities.

Travelling with two ladies I can get 6 to 8 days easily between tank dumps. Everyone needs to be careful.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Benrubid

I noticed above that randy69 said that they run their generated from 8:00 to 12:00. I have never had a camper with a generator before. I have a onan 5000. Do I need to turn it off periodically, or does it turn itself off and on by itself? Can I run it continuously. Looking for advise. Thanks

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Benrubid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

The hours of use of generators in campgrounds, both public and private, are often regulated by the management or park officials. Personally, I've never come across a campground that allows generators to be run until 12 (midnight).
Having a generator running at that hour is, IMO, poor campground etiquette and having a generator running constantly from 8 am 'till 10 pm doesn't show a great deal of respect for your fellow campers either.

Out of consideration for your camping neighbours, I would like to see anyone running a generator to shut them down periodically. If you happen to notice that your neighbours are away, that would be a good time to have them running.

As you can probably guess I'm not a huge fan of generators but have learned "not to sweat the small stuff" and try to ignore them. I realize that, for some, watching TV for most of the day and making use of all the other household appliances while away camping is just part of their camping lifestyle. Having said that, I would expect those that do enjoy these things to also think about being considerate of their neighbours.

The noise level also depends to a large degree on the type of generator you have. Some are noisier than others while others are not that noticeable. If you plan on getting one and if you can afford a Honda, for example, then I would tend to go with that - simply because of the noise factor.

Not sure if generators turn themselves on and off by themselves but I wouldn't think so. Some have remote/electric starts.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
azlee56

I know our generator doesn't shut itself off (or didn't, it got stolen). Normally when dry camping we will only turn it on to recharge the batteries after everyone is out and about. We turn it on for an hour or so and then shut if off. We also have a trickle solar battery charger that will stay on it to keep it up somewhat (80.00 kind). However in the mid evening we like to watch a movie so about 7:00 we run it while watching one movie and then it is off. So far the other campers are happy.

During the cold months we camp we might have to turn it on a little earlier in the morning, but since it isn't a honda (or wasn't) we also put up some stuff to muffle the sound, but always we know that not everyone wakes up at 5:00 am.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
SAD
Permanent User Ban

When we dry camp, we use the generator for about an hour in the morning - coffee, recharge batteries, and a bit of news.

Again at lunch for 30-45 mins.

That's about it for the day.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Benrubid

Fully understand Festus2, and that makes sense, but I assume that you are not dry camping during 100 degree weather, or how do you stay cool. We try and be out and about most of the day, but I do not think I could deal with that high of heat and not want to run the A/C for a good amount of time

2012 Fuzion 322
2012 F350 Dually
Benrubid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

Dario -
Where we live 100 degree weather would almost never happen - low 90's maybe but that would be about it and for a very short period of time. When we do venture out in the summer and are in areas where temps like that are the norm, we would never be dry camping and would head for campgrounds that have hookups.
We plan our trips so that we stay away from regions that are typically hot during the summer months and instead try to head for areas that are somewhat cooler and A/C may not be necessary to keep cool. Needless to say, we've never been to Texas ( sorry geo)or any of those states whose summer temps are typically in the 90's or 100's. We'll save those trips for times of the year when the temps are cooler!
I agree that you certainly wouldn't want to be camping in 100 degree temps without A/C and if a generator is the only way to run the A/C, then you don't have any other option and you wouldn't get any static from me!