Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #1
Andrew262BH

newbie here on the idea of rock guards

hello all- even a year in and I feel that I know less than when I started

- due to DOT rules in states that we may want to travel in (new England)
we are wanting to put mudflaps on the 2021 262 bh

do I get ones that are traditional mudflap (attached to the wheel wells)
or do I get a rock guard that goes across the entire back of the trailer mounted on the bumper (?) where i hae my spare tire?

thanks
Andrew262BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:30 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew262BH View Post
hello all- even a year in and I feel that I know less than when I started

- due to DOT rules in states that we may want to travel in (new England)
we are wanting to put mudflaps on the 2021 262 bh

do I get ones that are traditional mudflap (attached to the wheel wells)
or do I get a rock guard that goes across the entire back of the trailer mounted on the bumper (?) where i hae my spare tire?

thanks

i believe the DOT rules are for motorized vehicles…mud flaps for dually trucks both private and commercial in some states but not for private trailers
also maybe mudflaps for class A,B and C rvs
mud flaps are probably required for commercial trailers,semi trailers or equipment trailers

if fifth wheels and travel trailers were required to have them i would think the dealers would have to install them on new units to pass inspection those states.

i’m sure some people have installed them to keep there trailer clean but i don’t believe it’s required anywhere
Old 10-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I think you will find Jasin is correct and you aren't "required" legally to have them on the RV. Now if you just want them and you have a receiver I would get something like Rock Tamers. I have Husky receiver mounted flaps and they have been great but don't think they make them anymore.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:13 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Adding mudflaps across the entire rear of the trailer won't do anything to protect your equipment, just those who are "tailgating you".. All it "does for you" is increase cost and add weight to your trailer cargo and reduces the payload capacity.

Depending on your slide configuration, you may find that any mudflap would have to be mounted to the slide, not to the actual trailer chassis because on many trailers, the slide is either a part or the entire wheelwell for that side of the trailer or a part of that side.

I'd be much more concerned with protecting the DARCO liner that is at the top of the wheelwell than protecting traffic behind the trailer. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Why would you want mudflaps on a camping trailer? The tires are under the fenders/walls so damage to those surfaces are unlikely. The rear tires are so far forward of the rear bumber that anything the tires may kick up won't be very high off the pavement.

If you're thinking about DOT (rules for commercial trucks and trailers) then you're comparing apples to cannonballs. RV trailer tires, unlike large commercial trailers, don't have wide ribs between the traed or large lugs that can pick up larger stones and eject them at sharp angles.

I belive some states require dually pick up to have mudflaps because dually tires can trap larger rocks in between the two tires which can fling a large rock like a shot put up in the air. That is not a concern with a single wheel rear axle.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:24 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I've never heard of such a requirement for RV trailers. But, if you want to install mud flaps on your trailer, do it at the wheel well location. You are just wasting time and money putting one across the back of the RV. Some folks with motor home RV (Class A's and some C's) put them on the rear. Their tires fit closer to the rear than a travel trailer or fifth wheel. I still think, flaps at the wheel wells will do better, if you are still going to install something. The closer to the wheels something is installed, is less of a chance for a rock to fling out in weird directions, other than straight backwards.

Tags