Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #1
Z71

Creating a network in my RV

In my 24RDS I have 2 Wifi Compatible TV's. Most of the time these work great but sometimes the Park Wifi sucks or requires logging into there wifi system using a browser page which the TV's don't have.

I initially thought adding the Wingard gateway might be a solution but it seems so many have said it's not worth the cost or added expense of a 4g/5g account it requires. Spotty service, streaming problems, on an on so that's out. I already have T-mobile 4g and the ability to create a hotspot but find most of the time this doesn't work well for streaming video.

Another option would be to get a portable dish satellite and use an old 211k but I want to dump Dish network this year at the end of my contract so that won't fly.

What would be the hot setup is a box or something that you could attach to the park wifi, then propagate to a dhcp wifi router that you could assign to the TV's, then once the main box has connected to the park wifi all you would need to do is turn on the TV's, do a channel scan and your done.

Perhaps thinking outside of the box like this is wishful but I am sure some networking genius could do it...
Old 09-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

As we have traveled the country (and parts of Canada) this summer, we found that most park wifi systems can’t or won’t support streaming, not even Sirius/XM on one of our phones. We have a cellular booster (no monthly cost) and a 5G capable wifi hotspot ($10/month) on our unlimited plan and that works well for us even when we were traveling north of the border.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #3
DonP

We also have 2 tv's in our 26RBSWE, so far using our ATT hotspot has worked great when we are not boondocking with the Forest Service. I have Roko's on both tvs, they access my hotspot. Just switched to Verizon (Visible) works great here in Reno we'll see what happens next week on the Oregon coast. Maybe it's a T-Mobile issue, when we had T-Mobile, I had spotty service around town even.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

In my 24RDS I have 2 Wifi Compatible TV's. Most of the time these work great but sometimes the Park Wifi sucks or requires logging into there wifi system using a browser page which the TV's don't have.

You don't list brand or model so a general observation. A lot of tvs with wifi connections will have avaliable a browser function via a wigit or an app. Most Samsungs have a "smart hub" with widgets. Vizio uses a similar configuration but I can recall what it's called. You may have done this already but often you can find how yo access a browser by Google the TV model number and browser as keywords.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
jsb5717

I have a King KWM1000 WiFiMax Router/Range Extender that can amplify any WiFi signal it can find. Sometimes I have done well with campground WiFi but often have connected to my Xfinity hotspot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, based on many reviews on this and the Montana forum I have just purchased a Visible phone and plan that I hope will improve overall connectivity. I will connect the King to that and give it a try.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I have a King KWM1000 WiFiMax Router/Range Extender that can amplify any WiFi signal it can find. Sometimes I have done well with campground WiFi but often have connected to my Xfinity hotspot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, based on many reviews on this and the Montana forum I have just purchased a Visible phone and plan that I hope will improve overall connectivity. I will connect the King to that and give it a try.
Granted I don't fully understand wifi/cell service, but I don't understand how connecting the King Router is going to enhance connectivity unless it will boost a bar signal on your phone a level so you can stream with. Since I've started streaming tv, I have not even attempted to connect to a campground's wifi service. After our upcoming Oregon trip, I will let everyone know how the Visible phone worked.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Granted I don't fully understand wifi/cell service, but I don't understand how connecting the King Router is going to enhance connectivity unless it will boost a bar signal on your phone a level so you can stream with. Since I've started streaming tv, I have not even attempted to connect to a campground's wifi service. After our upcoming Oregon trip, I will let everyone know how the Visible phone worked.
The 'issue' with Visible service, is that only one device can connect to the Visible hotspot you enable on your phone. If your plan is to simultaneously connect multiple devices, you must connect your hotspot to a router and then all devices connect to the router.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Lots of opinions... I decided to dump Dish TV due to the ever rising cost and losing channels. Here is what I did; added an external WiFi & 4G antenna and routers... I look at campgroundreviews and pic camp grounds that seem to have good WiFi and if that fails, I have unlimited 4G data with Consumer Cellular via AT&T towers. I chose CC because AT&T tends to have much better signals than Verizon in our area. I have a Roku box on our television. If the campground has WiFi passworded, I bring it up on my laptop for login then use the hotspot.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50959
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #9
Z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

You don't list brand or model so a general observation. A lot of tvs with wifi connections will have avaliable a browser function via a wigit or an app. Most Samsungs have a "smart hub" with widgets. Vizio uses a similar configuration but I can recall what it's called. You may have done this already but often you can find how yo access a browser by Google the TV model number and browser as keywords.

One TV is an LG and it has kinda of browser which sometimes you can get to work and enter the RV parks password, the other is a Visio, no luck with that one, it wants you to enter in the password when you actually select the Wifi, if its a 2 step login your just screwed.

There are some apps you can download through the Visio apps store, one is a google addon browser but that is flaky at best.

Another trick I have used is to take my Ipad, and get validated, then copy the IP and Gateway assigned to the Ipad and put that into the TV manually and get it to work. But that only works if the park does not record the MAC address of the device. Personally I would rather sit outside with a drink and enjoy the scenery but the wifey MUST have TV, lol
Old 09-09-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

IMO the first thing I'd do is forget about depending on any RV park wifi. The services range from "maybe" to pathetic. There are a few that have spent mega bucks on heavy duty wifi but their pricing reflects it. Others give you slow wifi and prohibit streaming still others give you slow wifi (no streaming) with the option of "upgrading" with the provider; Tengonet comes to mind as I've seen it in more and more places.

I use the Visible hotspot with a portable router. Works just fine as it rides the Verizon network. Your T-mobile problems are probably due to the T mobile coverage.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:35 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
What would be the hot setup is a box or something that you could attach to the park wifi, then propagate to a dhcp wifi router that you could assign to the TV's, then once the main box has connected to the park wifi all you would need to do is turn on the TV's, do a channel scan and your done.

Perhaps thinking outside of the box like this is wishful but I am sure some networking genius could do it...
Why, thank you... in fact, I did!

I've had this set up for a decade or so, from my last rig. The flat square unit on top is directional. I screwed it onto a bookend so I could aim it freely (it's weatherproof and on a long cable, so I could run it onto the roof if need be). it's made to pump signal for over a mile in free air and runs $40 MSR. The little box is a home access point, runs $45 MSR and powers the other one over one of its ports, so there's only one power plug (and the units work just as well on 12VDC if the need arises).

Everything in the rig (including inCommand) connects to the home AP with the same SSID and password no matter where we are. When we arrive at a CG, we point the flat unit at the nearest CG AP, log into it, and tell it the SSID and password of the CG system (it has a stored repertoire of about 100 SSID/password pairs from old CGs we've stayed at, we just change the password if they do) and then we're off and running. If the CG has a login screen, we take care of it from a phone or computer, then all the other devices won't be bothered.

If the CG has no WiFi, the flat unit knows how to connect to our phone's hotspot instead.

All the units are 2.4MHz, because it is more ubiquitous in campgrounds and has better propagation. The little AP's radio is throttled way down so it doesn't reach out much past our own rig.

But the downside of all this is that most low to mid-end CGs really aren't paying much attention to providing WiFi service anymore because "everybody has phones and hotspots." Rural areas have a hard time getting enough bulk bandwidth to deliver even 5Mbps to individual campers, while each of their phones can deliver them 40Mbps in the same spot.

So although it's an ultimately flexible unit, it's nearly a dinosaur now. It's nice to have in cell dead zones (like Monument Valley, for my carrier), but there's usually always a superior alternative these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	41533  
Old 09-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #12
LHaven

Oh yeah... the other downside is that if you're at a site where each user is throttled to (say) 5Mbps, your whole rig gets throttled to 5Mbps, because as far as the CG is concerned, you're "one user."
Old 09-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
DonP

Your absolutely correct unless both you and your wife have separate lines. On visible you cannot share data or accounts etc, so I run 1 tv and she runs the other.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #14
Shedboy

"What would be the hot setup is a box or something that you could attach to the park wifi, then propagate to a dhcp wifi router that you could assign to the TV's, then once the main box has connected to the park wifi all you would need to do is turn on the TV's, do a channel scan and your done."

CHECK OUT
https://ccrane.com/wifi-internet/?sort=featured&page=2

I have similar setup as WiredGeorge plus the above CCrane vertical and parabolic antenna WiFi systems.
Have onboard PC + 2 Roku "smart" TVs. Use for RV based multi-state home/office.

Agree w ditch Dish TV
Have a roof mounted Winegard Travlr DISH TV, it's a wonderful piece of technology, useful when boondocking where WiFi is absent (only Satellite).
New technology STARLINK low orbit WiFi satellite technology is now available, expensive but appears to fit your situation.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #15
haulinit

Starlink now has a service for RVs. You can start it and stop it as needed. Once I got mine, I ditched the cell plan I had for my router (two different SIM cards). Starlink is also supposed to work when in motion.

For those times when I’m not using SL, I use the hotspot on my AT&T account. I only stream TV. I haven’t had satellite tv for quite awhile.
2021 Fuzion 428 Toy Hauler
haulinit is offline   Reply With Quote