Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
Nvstg8u

Lightbulb Deep Cycle Batteries, does the RV charge correctly

So I have been doing research, after I upgraded my rig to 4 golf cart deep cycle batteries. And it seems they like to be charged a specific way. Does anyone know if the stock convertor detects that they are deep cycle, and charges correctly? It seems my rig never goes above 13.3 volts, and you are supposed to charge these at 14.2-14.7 volts. Amps looked good on the rig, pulling 40 amp charge after draining 10 amps per hour for 24 hours.... I have been looking at a Schumacher SC1281 as a stand alone charger, rather than try to upgrade my converter.... Here is a link
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC...eanenergysm-20

Thanks for any and all input/opinions!!!
Nvstg8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:41 PM   #2
LHaven

If you go to User CP / Settings & Options / Edit Signature, and add the year and model of your unit and tow vehicle, somebody here will probably know what your "stock converter" is likely to be and what it can do.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It takes a bit of study to understand how the WFCO converter/charger works and more important, WHY it works the way it does.

You can download the WFCO Theory of Operation manual here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...eration-v2.pdf

And you can download the WFCO FAQ section here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/faq/#tab-631086271d8e6

Essentially, in the FAQ section, the "experts that built the converter/charger" state that you won't be able to measure the 14.4 VDC being applied to the battery during BULK CHARGE. And, in the theory of operation document, they explain "why" it works the way it does....

I have 2 GC2 batteries and my WFCO 8955 charges them with no problems. I'd suspect that with your 4 GC2 batteries, given the extra amperage you can store and use, the "recharge time" would be two times greater than my recharge time. Otherwise, your OEM charger is adequate to keep your battery bank charged, it'll just take more time due to the amount of energy you store/use/replace in the battery bank....

As a "caution", don't rely on a bigger and faster charger without taking into consideration all of the issues you'll encounter.... As an example, higher amperage charge increases the "battery gassing potential" and that can lead to not only "dry batteries" but also to outgassing which can lead to corrosion in/around the battery compartment, as well as the increased risk of explosion from the battery gasses, if contained in a confined space.....

Adding more batteries allows for more energy stored and longer discharge times which equates to more days of boondocking before they are depleted. There isn't a "quick and easy" means to recharge them safely while preserving their reliability. Just as it takes more time to discharge them, it also takes more time to recharge them (without damage)....

I don't know of any "sure fire shortcut to recharge them in the field in a few minutes"....

I'd also suspect that your WFCO, while a "mule not a sports car" is capable of doing the job safely and effectively while protecting your investment from the potential for damage from the "rapid charging profiles" of some of the more expensive charger systems that weren't specifically designed for RV use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
Nvstg8u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It takes a bit of study to understand how the WFCO converter/charger works and more important, WHY it works the way it does.

You can download the WFCO Theory of Operation manual here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...eration-v2.pdf

And you can download the WFCO FAQ section here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/faq/#tab-631086271d8e6

Essentially, in the FAQ section, the "experts that built the converter/charger" state that you won't be able to measure the 14.4 VDC being applied to the battery during BULK CHARGE. And, in the theory of operation document, they explain "why" it works the way it does....

I have 2 GC2 batteries and my WFCO 8955 charges them with no problems. I'd suspect that with your 4 GC2 batteries, given the extra amperage you can store and use, the "recharge time" would be two times greater than my recharge time. Otherwise, your OEM charger is adequate to keep your battery bank charged, it'll just take more time due to the amount of energy you store/use/replace in the battery bank....

As a "caution", don't rely on a bigger and faster charger without taking into consideration all of the issues you'll encounter.... As an example, higher amperage charge increases the "battery gassing potential" and that can lead to not only "dry batteries" but also to outgassing which can lead to corrosion in/around the battery compartment, as well as the increased risk of explosion from the battery gasses, if contained in a confined space.....

Adding more batteries allows for more energy stored and longer discharge times which equates to more days of boondocking before they are depleted. There isn't a "quick and easy" means to recharge them safely while preserving their reliability. Just as it takes more time to discharge them, it also takes more time to recharge them (without damage)....

I don't know of any "sure fire shortcut to recharge them in the field in a few minutes"....

I'd also suspect that your WFCO, while a "mule not a sports car" is capable of doing the job safely and effectively while protecting your investment from the potential for damage from the "rapid charging profiles" of some of the more expensive charger systems that weren't specifically designed for RV use.
Thank you so much for all the info! 35 year employee for the local power company, so although I'm not as familiar with DC as I am AC, the documents made perfect sense! I knew recharging them in a few minutes was never going to happen, my test, 10 amps over 24 hours, was meant to drain my batteries by 50%, I have a total of 455ah... Based on voltage at the end of the test, 12.1, I assumed I did drain the batteries by 50%. And I was very happy to see the convertor charge at 40 amps!! And now I understand why I wasn't seeing 14.4 volts!! I'm very happy with the stock converter now!! Thanks again!!
Nvstg8u is offline   Reply With Quote