Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #1
cowensmi

2013 Keystone Cougar XLite 28RBS

Hey everyone. Can someone tell me more about the slideout on this model? I have owned it just over a year. I believe it is a Lippert hydraulic system.

I have not had any trouble with it, but I dread the thought of a failure while camping where I cannot slide it in or out. I am unsure of how one would get it back in or out manually. I have watched a number of youtube videos but I don’t think those systems are like this one.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
cowensmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First let’s see if we can figure out what type of slide you have.

When you operate the slide do you hear a pump running or an electric motor? There is a different sound.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:16 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I've never seen a Cougar XLite or Half Ton model with hydraulics. All that I've seen have either electric ram, cable or Schwentek slides. XLite and hydraulic don't go "hand in hand" because hydraulic systems are much heavier than electric systems. XLite more or less defeats hydraulic use.

If you've not had any problems, and it's a 2013 model, I'd say that you likely won't have any problems as long as you keep the seals clean and the slides properly adjusted.

There is no adjustment required as long as the slides are "square when open" and "close fully at the top and bottom".

Are you having any problems with "straining motor sounds, knocking or grinding during operation? If not, I'd say you're OK, just keep an eye open for any subtle changes in speed, abnormal sounds or changes in slide position when open or closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've watched 3 videos of that trailer and I don't see cable or schwintek apparatus on the slide. I think we can also rule out hydraulic so that would leave the electric ram.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:11 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ Yep, Here's a snippet from one video of that model. The rams from the electric ram slide are clearly visible under the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COUGAR SLIDE TYPE.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	40621  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowensmi View Post
Hey everyone. Can someone tell me more about the slideout on this model? I have owned it just over a year. I believe it is a Lippert hydraulic system.

I have not had any trouble with it, but I dread the thought of a failure while camping where I cannot slide it in or out. I am unsure of how one would get it back in or out manually. I have watched a number of youtube videos but I don’t think those systems are like this one.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
John called your slide type a "ram slide". This type slide uses a small 12V electric motor connected to two wires that go to the rocker switch which deploys/retracts the slide. The motor has a bevel gear which meshes with the gears on the ram which is a long tube where the tube moves the slide over teeth on that long square shaft seen in John's picture. At the opposite end of the slide motor from the direction the slide travels is a rod with a nut on the end. If you turn this nut, depending on clockwise or counterclockwise, it will open/close the slide.

I had to do this recently when my slide motor bevel gears failed and had to slightly lift my very long slideout to get it started to retract the slide. I used a jack and some cribbing and once it comes in a few inches, the slide can be retracted without the lift. It took me over an hour to manually retract. I have a post on replacement of the slide motor and how it was done in the Repair and Maintenance forum:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=51545

Another thread showing the stripped gears, etc.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=51506

This "ram slide" affair was made by Lippert on my camper. The replacement motor was a generic bought on Amazon. Last, some campers actually have a hole adjacent to the nut you turn in the skirting and a tool to crank the nut from the outside. My camper does not as the motor has the camper steps on the outside adjacent so it must be done flat on my back and there is not much room for anything other than a box wrench. I tried using an air wrench but it didn't have enough torque to turn the nut. I have since lubed the teeth that the thing travels over and the slide moves more easily.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:23 PM   #7
cowensmi

Thanks everyone, very helpful. Yes it has that ram shaft set up so that must be it. I just assumed it was hydraulic because of the way it looks. I will check out those links. It does look like it would be a miserable job to manually move it in or out, but at least I would know how to do it.
cowensmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone