Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
wiredgeorge

I have all incandescent bulbs in my old trailer and none dim when all are turned on. My converter works all the time; does not kick on and off and don't see the value in making the effort in changing out all 12V light fixtures and bulbs. We stay on shore power pretty much all the time and would expect that if I were running the lights solely on battery for a period without being on shore power they would dim. If you have checked the voltage out of your converter then the battery is about the only thing that might make lights dim or a bad connection between converter and battery.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #22
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter1406 View Post
Thank you all for your comments.

Yes the fan turns on in the converter.

I am getting 13.6 V with the battery disconnected.

When it starts dimming for me is having around 7 of the 2 bulb light fixtures on. Or 4-5 of the 2 bulb light fixtures with the furnace on.

I installed a Everstart MAXX Deep cycle battery. 845 Marine CCA and 114 AH at 1 Amp.
On your next battery replacement you want a true deep cycle battery. If the battery has any kind of cold cranking amps (CCA) listed, it’s a dual purpose battery. You want a true deep cycle battery like a Trojan brand or similar. These are often listed as golf cart batteries. They have heavier plates, more charge cycles, and usually longer warranty, and last far longer than dual purpose batteries especially if they are properly maintained. Many people use two 6volt batteries in series to obtain more AH. Many of these folks do a fair amount of boondocking. If you are like me and always hooked up to 50 amp service except while traveling a 100-150 AH battery should be sufficient. I run a 12v compressor type refrigerator plus the other parasitic loads while traveling and draw 9-12 AH during that time and get about 7-8 AH from my truck, so I still draw 3-5 AH from my battery. I have plenty of reserve from my 150 AH battery. Batteries are limited on how much discharge they can produce, so you might want to check what the limit is on your new battery, but it should be able to handle your load. LED bulbs are the way to go.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:08 AM   #23
SR71 Jet Mech

Don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned yet but it definitely appears to be a voltage drop. I’d check grounds at frame.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, light, lights