Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #1
Z71

Keystone Cougar Pin Box access

I am trying to add a small solar panel to the top of my pin box on my 24RDS Cougar but have yet to find a way to get the wiring back to the batteries in the front compartment.

I looked under the bed all the way in the front of the unit but saw no access there.

Has anyone taken this project on and been successful? There has got to be a way considering the trailer connect cable goes up into the pin box then back into the trailer. So far the solution escapes me, any suggestions? I would just add a solar panel but I am in covered storage and only the pin box see's any real sun. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well on our 2005 Copper Canyon, I wanted to add backup lights, no wire available. I tugged on one of the wires where they came into the front compartment, and it moved at the pin box end. I detached it at the pin box and tied a replacement wire and the new wire for backup lights. Then gently pulled in the new wires. The connection needs to be very secure, and taped and tapered to pull through the space.
This worked well for me, your results may vary!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:41 AM   #3
dutchmensport

My Montana High Country has a rear back door on the opposite side. When we first purchased it we had an awning installed over that door. We also had lights installed and all the switches were installed in the back of the camper (bedroom).

The wiring, of course was 12 volt to power the lights and the electric awning. Now, I did not do this work myself. My dealer did the work as part of the initial purchase package. So, what they did, they ran the electric line along the frame, not inside the under belly. Running in the underbelly would have meant dropping the chloroplast and I certainly understand why they did not want to do that.

When I got the camper back I looked at how they ran the wires. they just draped the wires and used a few zip ties to hold it in place. They fed it through the J-panel (the outside skirting) and just let it kind of rest there. The way they did it was OK, except where it passed over the tires. I was concerned about that. All I could see was the wires dropping and getting tangled in the wheels.

I found a crevace where the wire could be tucked in and I tucked the wire in it. However, there was no way to tie it in. So I picked up a couple tubes of original Liquid Nails and simply pumped that crevace full of Liquid Nails which, when dried, now holds the wire in place, away from the tires, no danger of falling or getting tangled in the wheels.

As far as the rest of the wire, it's still laying on the bottom of that J-panel. I can't reach it to tack it down, but there is nothing there to disturb it anyway.

So maybe that is an alternative way to run the wire. Pass it along the outside of your trailer frame where you can actually reach and then tack it in place with zip ties or something like liquid nails.

If the wire was installed inside the underbelly, more than likely it would be resting on the bottom of the chloroplast too, or suspended from the frame with zip ties or some kind of hook with a screw.

This work was done on mine almost 4 years ago, and the Liquid Nails has held up just fine. I've not had even a hint of problems with the wire. And oh... I also spray painted the Liquid Nails after it dried so it wouldn't stand out. It's spray painted black with original Rust-o-lium. Looking at the tires, you'll never see the wire.

Maybe something like this would work for you.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:55 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you trying to put a little solar panel on the top of the pin box? If you are have you considered how sunlight it will be exposed to and how little power it will produce?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:05 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Z71,

Considering your camper is under cover, rather than attempting to install a small panel on your pin box and feeding the wire through the camper, have you considered a self-standing solar panel and just run the wire where you need it. Of course, when you travel, you'll have to unhook it.

Something like this? You can simply put it on the floor of your shelter, under the pin box in the sun light. It would be a larger panel too, giving you a little more wattage to keep your batteries topped off while in storage. It' just a thought?

Something like this - Click Here
Old 04-19-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Z71

I realize that a small panel the size of the top of the pin box won't generate much power and a portable panel would be a much better solution for keeping the batteries juiced up.

Unfortunately the unit is in one of those covered storage facilities where things like portable solar panels are destine to wander off unfortunately.

After spending some time with a fish tape I was able to snake the charge wires to the pin box from the front compartment and install the small solar panel.

The pin box panel gets sun from sunrise until about noon while the 5th wheel is in storage, not optimal but its better then nothing!

Well, that it for now but I plan on adding 2 200w panels and a xantrex 2000 sine wave inverter down the road. I may also add a third battery.

I doubt the roof panels will provide anything to keep the batteries charged since they will not be in direct sunlight and when the unit is in storage.

I hoping they will be sufficient to provide whats needed (along with a small generator) when camping off the grid. We will grow the system as needed to suit our needs.

Tags
cougar, keystone