Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2022, 05:33 AM   #1
almarc3

Unhappy water check valves between the outside water and the fresh water tank

I have a 2013 Outback TB310 that my community water supply keeps leaking into my fresh water tank. Where are the water check valves located????? How difficult is it to replace these?? I've been shutting of my water supply and using my water pump to pumpout ther freshwater tank. Can't do that forever!!!
almarc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:16 AM   #2
dutchmensport

I don't think there is a check valve. The water pump itself is the check valve.

For what it's worth, in the last 20 years of travel trailer and fifth wheel ownership, I've never hooked up directly to shore water. I may attach my hose, but it's not turned on. I have always filled my fresh water tank and pumped water from there.

There's no threat of over pressure, and if a leak is sprung, or a drippy faucet, or the water heater drips a bit, or the water heater overheats and spews out the pressure relief valve, or any water loss anywhere, the water pump will kick on. If it kicks on and spurts on and off, I know water is dripping somewhere. If attached and working through shore water, you'll never, ever know there is a problem until your floor is rotted out.

Nothing wrong with using the on-board fresh water pump.

But, in every situation I've ever read on this and other camping RV forums, when water is filling into the fresh water tank, it's always the water pump failing.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Not always the water pump. It's very common in certiam models that have one hose connection and a valve body to select between city water and fresh tank fill for the valve to leak. Folks often make the misteak of leaving the water on and turning the valve. The water pressure can "blow out" the O ring from the valve causing it to bypass.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #4
ChuckS

You can quickly isolate your issue on your Outback if it has the water panel fill shown in the image I have attached from a 2013...

The check valve on the head of the pump prevents water from back flowing from the city water feed and overfilling the fresh water tank...

1st image is the typical water connection and fresh water tank fill on the 2013 Outback .. image from Trekwood..

2nd image is the shureflo water pump... image from trekwood.. locate the fresh water tank supply line ( the one with the arrow pointing in ) and with city water and water pump turned off remove the IN line to the pump head...

Now slowly turn the city water on a bit and observe if water flows out of the IN connection that you just removed from the pump ( on the pump itself )

If YES then the internal check valve on that pump head is not sealing and allowing city water to bypass thru the head and back into the fresh water tank..

see attached PDF I put together to give you a better overview and how you can resolve the issue at hand
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shurflo 4008 water pump check valve.pdf (848.7 KB, 961 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have a quality water pressure regulator on the city water hose? If the city water pressure is excessivly high it can ccause havoc with the water system. I've seen water pressure oner 100 psi before and my regulator reduces it to my desired setting between 45 to 50 psi.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
1tenor

You can replace the check valve in the pump. You don't have to replace the pump. Often, these get clogged with debris from the tank when the holes were drilled for the various connections. I'd recommend installing a filter between the tank and the pump to keep it from happening again.
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
bobbecky

We had that problem some years ago and I solved the problem by installing an inline check valve on the pressure side of the pump in the PEX line. I've since replaced the pump due to another issue, and left the check valve in place as it does not restrict the water flow from the pump. In the photo, it is the brass fitting above the pump and is a sharkbite type fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new check valve.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	39162  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
almarc3

water check valves between the outside water and the fresh water tank

thank you all for your informative replies....in particular: Chuck S!!! Your explanation, photos, diagrams, and the pdf explained very clearly with excellent examples. I now have the parts recommended on order, and look forward to tackling the installation!!
Again, thx to everyone for your help!!
Old 04-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
ssthrd

There should be a check valve right behind the city water connection in your water hook up enclosure. You might want to check the link for how to fix it.

If you remove the screen and see a white plastic rod, that will be the check valve.

Hope this helps.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssthrd View Post

There should be a check valve right behind the city water connection in your water hook up enclosure. You might want to check the link for how to fix it.

If you remove the screen and see a white plastic rod, that will be the check valve.

Hope this helps.
That check valve is to prevent water from flowing out of the inlet when the pump is running. It has nothing to do with the OP's issue of water bypassing the pump and filling the fresh water pump.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #11
ssthrd

On the rigs that I have had, when the city connection is active, the check valve closes to prevent city water from going into the fresh water tank. Without a city connection, the check valve allows water through to get to the appurtenances in the RV.
Edit. If the o-ring on the check valve is damaged or worn out, some city water will pass thru and go to the fresh water tank, and eventually fill it if the valve is noy replaced.

2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 04-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #12
ssthrd

My apologies to you flybouy. I looked up my pump and there is indeed a check valve in it.

I stand corrected.

2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 04-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
My apologies to you flybouy. I looked up my pump and there is indeed a check valve in it.

I stand corrected.
No problems. The plumbing in most of these units look like something you'd see in a mad scientist lab in a horror movie!
Old 04-07-2022, 04:48 AM   #14
ChuckS

Quote:
On the rigs that I have had, when the city connection is active, the check valve closes to prevent city water from going into the fresh water tank. Without a city connection, the check valve allows water through to get to the appurtenances in the RV.
Edit. If the o-ring on the check valve is damaged or worn out, some city water will pass thru and go to the fresh water tank, and eventually fill it if the valve is noy replaced.
My current RV originally came with the Andersen 4 way valve assy that had a separate selection for City water and a selection for tank fill.. The valve cartridge was notorious for internal o ring failures and would allow water to bypass from the valve and back fill the fresh water tank..

HOWEVER . it also has an internal check valve in the water pump head to prevent backfill of fresh water tank

The common TIE IN for BOTH CITY and Fresh water tank water under pressure is via a T fitting that is COMMON to both sides of the system...

That is why the check valve in the pump head is key to prevent backflow...

Andersen redesigned the 4 way plastic setup to an all brass 3 way... this can still backflow past the water pump check valve if it stuck open allowing fresh water tank to overfill..

Another key reason why you never leave tour RV unattended with the water turned on...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:27 AM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We had that problem some years ago and I solved the problem by installing an inline check valve on the pressure side of the pump in the PEX line. I've since replaced the pump due to another issue, and left the check valve in place as it does not restrict the water flow from the pump. In the photo, it is the brass fitting above the pump and is a sharkbite type fitting.
I did this has well and it has worked perfectly.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #16
almarc3

well, I feel helpless. I cannot find where the water pump is.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by almarc3 View Post
well, I feel helpless. I cannot find where the water pump is.
You can often locate it by turning it on and listen for the sound.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:10 PM   #18
almarc3

I have tried repeatedly to listen...but I cannot locate the blasted thing.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #19
ssthrd

Just an idea, but in my last two TT,s, the pump was near the fresh water tank which makes sense, and the tank was under the galley sink. Maybe find where the fresh water filler is and start there. Hopefully the tank will not be far away, and the pump as well.

Not hearing it run would be a good thing for most I think! lol.

2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Old 04-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #20
almarc3

FOUND IT!!!!! the water pump was under the storage compartment below my TV!!! naturally it was by the floor and almost impossible to gyrate myself to uncouple it....but SUCCESS is a wonderful feeling. thx to all who provided thoughts and suggestions!!!! I now have a new water pump that doesn't leak or backwash throught the valve!!!!

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water