Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2022, 10:23 AM   #1
innersjan

towing a swivelwheel platform behind a Cougar fith wheel

has anyone attached a swivelwheel tow platfofm to their fith wheel Cougars 290RLS?
innersjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First welcome to the forum. The answers to your question come from several "directions"...

First, if your location is correct and you're in Maryland, then "double towing/triple towing" (having more than ONE trailer behind a tow vehicle) is not permitted there. In fact, it's not permitted in any state on the eastern seaboard.

There is some "discussion" about a swivel wheel trailer not being a "separate trailer" and some of the manufacturers of those types of trailers do advertise them as such. Several states, however, don't take that same view and have declared them as not permitted by their state laws. So, if you do proceed, I'd get with the state police (not a local rookie cop) and get a definitive answer regarding YOUR state. I'd get that opinion in writing because sooner or later, someone is going to stop you and state that you're violating a law. Not having something to back you up will result in a "bucketload of undoing" come Monday morning, that is IF you can get that same someone who told you it was OK to commit to providing the documentation in the face of a ticket rather than when providing an opinion.....

Second, depending on which model swivel wheel trailer you're considering and the specific fifth wheel you have, you may violate your maximum hitch weight as most fifth wheel hitches start around 14K, 15K or 16K. So, verify your hitch capacities as well as the fifth wheel capacity.

Third, your pinbox is also rated and you'll need to verify it as well as the hitch.

Fourth, depending on your fifth wheel axles/tires and trailer frame, you may not have enough weight to carry the additional weight that the swivel trailer puts on your fifth wheel frame.

Fifth, many of the states (west of the eastern seaboard) that do allow towing two trailers will require a specific endorsement to you rdriver's license, additional insurance etc. The all have a maximum rig length as well. Most of them limit the total rig length to 65', while a couple allow 70 or 75' maximum and a very few limit the total length to 60 or 63'. So make sure that even if you are permitted to tow two trailers, that you meet the requirements for rig length as well.

Michigan allow me to double tow, the limit is 75' and I have all the endorsements and insurance as well as meet the specific "crazy hitch requirements" for the second trailer.

So, find someone in your "state enforcement arm" and see if it's even legal for you to put a swivel wheel trailer on the road behind your fifth wheel.

Most state police headquarters departments have a website with a "contact us" section where the general public can ask a question and get an "official response from the department". That may be a good place to start, by asking if it's legal in Maryland to connect a swivel wheel trailer behind a fifth wheel and tow it on the public roads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
bgrhrdt

Ask what time it is and someone will tell you how to build s clock.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
bsmith0404

In short, yes I do and I love it.

I have a 39’ Alpine and the swivel wheel keeps me under 65’. Unused to tow a 10’ trailer behind and that put me over. The swivel wheel will add less than 6’ total length. As for the hitch, you need to get a different hitch built. The swivel wheel uses a double receiver. I actually built a triple receiver for mine to allow me to tow a regular trailer or add a cargo tray or bike rack if I want. Here’s some pics of what I’ve done. The pics of the receiver aren’t great, but you can see what I’m talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E598EFDF-9748-445D-9A62-5661F39B0BBB.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	38992   Click image for larger version

Name:	D221FD6F-2FEF-49CC-B2F0-AE6F08383ED8.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	38993   Click image for larger version

Name:	46639B8D-A9BB-4B93-9D2B-B358EC30E5BC.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	38994   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB74C2C3-8DE8-4511-9AAF-F15141007273.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	38995  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
travelin texans

I'd take John's advice to find out from some one that knows for sure legally BEFORE purchasing!!...
There are those that tow one with a modified 3/4 truck, that thinks it's a 1 ton, behind a 17k 5th wheel, no problems & love it!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:50 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd take John's advice to find out from some one that knows for sure legally BEFORE purchasing!!...
There are those that tow one with a modified 3/4 truck, that thinks it's a 1 ton, behind a 17k 5th wheel, no problems & love it!
Really? I’d like to see that. Do you have any pics or are you just speaking in general? I’m not sure the relevance to the OP and what he plans to load on it, but if someone is worried about weight, the swivel wheel is a great option. It’s much lighter than a traditional trailer.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:17 AM   #7
Javi

Please forward your itinerary if you plan to visit Texas, I've had to dodge more than one of those little bitty wheels in years past... They got a nasty habit of flying off at 65-70 mph..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:26 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Please forward your itinerary if you plan to visit Texas, I've had to dodge more than one of those little bitty wheels in years past... They got a nasty habit of flying off at 65-70 mph..
That I have never seen. I’ve seen a lot of trailer tires on the road, have seen many RVs lose a wheel/hub assembly. Haven’t seen the little 8” boat trailer tires before. I’m sure it happens though, just like anything else.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:37 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
That I have never seen. I’ve seen a lot of trailer tires on the road, have seen many RVs lose a wheel/hub assembly. Haven’t seen the little 8” boat trailer tires before. I’m sure it happens though, just like anything else.
I see very feww of the 8-12 inch boat trailer tires on the road any more.. but once upon a time they were very popular... and it was very common to see one go flying down the road when the bearings blew.. but you don't see a lot of 14 foot flat bottoms being towed anymore either
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:45 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Yeah, they definitely turn some RPMs, good reason for quality bearings and good bearing maintenance. They’re still used a lot up north on snowmobile trailers.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 03-29-2022, 06:58 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

I have a 4' x 8' tilt bed utility trailer with 8" wheels. I use it for getting mulch and running to the landfill. Wouldn't think of dragging it at 60 + mph. In years gone by I've seen plenty of small boats on light weight trailers, utility trailers, and pop up campers (Coleman used golf cart sized tires atnone time) on the side of the road. Tire would survive but those " bicycle sized" wheel bearing wouldn't. It's not just the speed but also the absolute beating those bearings take bouncing down the road like tin cans tied to a "just married" sign.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Guess all the people up north with double snowmobile trailers are screwed. Would be a dang high trailer to get a full flatbed over the top of 15” wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07E0A1AD-01C3-4A9F-B86F-1B34347704E0.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	39012  
Old 03-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

To "get back on track" (somewhat), the OP's first consideration "should be" whether it's even legal to use such a "add on trailer called a dolly or something else" in Maryland.

How it attaches, how it performs is essentially irrelevant if he can't hook it up to his fifth wheel and leave his driveway without risking a ticket or being "stranded on the side of the road with orders not to proceed with his rig before unhitching and parking one of his two "tow behind vehicles".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:23 PM   #14
vampress_me

Quote:
Guess all the people up north with double snowmobile trailers are screwed. Would be a dang high trailer to get a full flatbed over the top of 15” wheels.
Yep. It’s great fun to flag down guys on the interstate in ND, MT, etc with their snowmobile trailer bearing smoking away. We’ve done it a few times in the years going back and forth to MT from MN. Others that don’t want to pay attention to you pointing at their trailer while next to them? Well, I figured they would understand in a few miles what we were pointing at…

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Yep. It’s great fun to flag down guys on the interstate in ND, MT, etc with their snowmobile trailer bearing smoking away. We’ve done it a few times in the years going back and forth to MT from MN. Others that don’t want to pay attention to you pointing at their trailer while next to them? Well, I figured they would understand in a few miles what we were pointing at…

That's what I've seen as well. I guess if you sprayed that 8" wheel with WD40 at every gas stop it would be a.....15" wheel?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:52 PM   #16
bsmith0404

I’ve seen plenty of people with 15 and 16” wheels lose bearings as well. I guess we all need trailers with 20” wheels. On second thought, better go to 24” just to make sure. Do smaller wheels turn more RPMs, absolutely,, but proper maintenance goes a long way on any trailer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 03-30-2022, 02:14 AM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To "get back on track" (somewhat), the OP's first consideration "should be" whether it's even legal to use such a "add on trailer called a dolly or something else" in Maryland.

How it attaches, how it performs is essentially irrelevant if he can't hook it up to his fifth wheel and leave his driveway without risking a ticket or being "stranded on the side of the road with orders not to proceed with his rig before unhitching and parking one of his two "tow behind vehicles".....
A few years back I looked into getting a Swivel Wheel. I contacted the FL DOT Police talked to a Captain about it she said it was considered triple hauling by the State and that she wished it wasn't because she and her family were also campers and had to take an TV and additional trailer with their Golf cart and other stuff.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:44 AM   #18
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by innersjan View Post
has anyone attached a swivelwheel tow platfofm to their fith wheel Cougars 290RLS?
Hope you got some of the answers you were looking for..

Have I seen the Swivel wheel units behind fifth wheels? Yes, I have several times

I own two motorcycles .. one of the a Goldwing.. We always would like to have it with us when out with the fifth wheel..

I had the pleasure to actually talk to a few folks that were using the setup or the Idaho Tote and after talking with them, seeing the setup and watching them load and unload I just decided we will ride our Goldwing when at home and not try and take it with us behind the fifth wheel..

I just can't get past the "Small wheels" knowing what RPMs they have to be winding up at when I am towing 62 mph...

One of the features I do like about both setups is that you can back the thing up without issue because it is an extension to the frame the way it os mounted

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:26 AM   #19
bsmith0404

Some other points I should have mentioned. Yes, the ability to back up is very convenient. Also, because of the way it attaches, I don’t have another trailer tracking inside the turn of the 5th wheel which makes it easier to get into some places, but it does add a little extra tail swing. I use 10’ loading ramps to flatten the angle for loading and unloading since it is quite a bit higher than a trailer deck. The added height has advantages though. Some places i go the back of the trailer would drag, that’s not an issue with the swivel wheel. The torsion bar suspension does a great job of absorbing the bumps, I still get some bounce, but I’d say it no worse than my utility trailer. Personally, I’ve been very happy with it, have not had any problems and have talked to several other people that said the same. Hopefully, you will be able to tow one in your area, I’m sure you’d be happy with it as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #20
Nitehawk

Quote:
Some other points I should have mentioned. Yes, the ability to back up is very convenient. Also, because of the way it attaches, I don’t have another trailer tracking inside the turn of the 5th wheel which makes it easier to get into some places, but it does add a little extra tail swing. I use 10’ loading ramps to flatten the angle for loading and unloading since it is quite a bit higher than a trailer deck. The added height has advantages though. Some places i go the back of the trailer would drag, that’s not an issue with the swivel wheel. The torsion bar suspension does a great job of absorbing the bumps, I still get some bounce, but I’d say it no worse than my utility trailer. Personally, I’ve been very happy with it, have not had any problems and have talked to several other people that said the same. Hopefully, you will be able to tow one in your area, I’m sure you’d be happy with it as well.
If it is legal in my state am I allowed to use it in a state where it is illegal.?
I know driving vehicles with in my permit class are valid in places where if I resided in other state it is not I seem to be OK or rather no one has told me I was breaking the law.,
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, tow, towing