Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2022, 05:46 PM   #1
sparticus1701

Driver's side wheel fender skirt keeps breaking

I have a 2017 Keystone Bullet 36' travel trailer. You can see in the attached picture that because of wind during trips, the driver side wheel fender skirt has cracked and broken off.

I have already replaced it once for the same problem. Even with the aluminum supports, it seems that where it comes down in the middle just flaps in the breeze until the plastic breaks.

To me this feels like poor design, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or found a solution to this problem. I've been looking for another style of fender, but haven't located one that I think would fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220305_114515_01.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	38666
sparticus1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
German Shepherd Guy

Yea, I have found cracks in my 26RBPR and secured them with large washers around the screws. I think the only permanent fix would be to fabricate new ones out of aluminum, copper or steel. No support and a bad design.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticus1701 View Post
I have a 2017 Keystone Bullet 36' travel trailer. You can see in the attached picture that because of wind during trips, the driver side wheel fender skirt has cracked and broken off.

I have already replaced it once for the same problem. Even with the aluminum supports, it seems that where it comes down in the middle just flaps in the breeze until the plastic breaks.

To me this feels like poor design, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or found a solution to this problem. I've been looking for another style of fender, but haven't located one that I think would fit.

Attachment 38666

It is a poor, cheap design...but it is what it is.

I suspect the #1 problem with your repeated fender failures is not tightening the retaining screws often...religiously. All of them need to have some sort of medium put behind them to hold them...they will back out. If you watch them closely (every trip/while on the trip) you will see they back out and the plastic holes around the screws will start to fracture then break if you don't stay on top of it.

If you look closely at those "supports" they are nothing more than some thin aluminum strips bent to "sort of" keep the fender supported...they don't. All my fenders get removed, sealant removed then put back in place with butyl tape at the front end to help it stick, all screws removed, finish washers painted black placed under them and a dash of sealant/adhesive put on the screw/hole when I put it back...no more problems.

Like you I had fender failures; blowing off on the side of the road, flopping out going down the road, broken pieces left on the side of the trailer. That is what happened with the first trailer I experienced that with. Found my process and it hasn't happened again...I DO have to retighten screws from time to time. Even gave a brand new fender given to me under warranty back to the service manager when I bought a new trailer....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Just curious, are those the original trailer tires? If they are at 5 years or possibly older you're running on borrowed time. Especially with Trailer Kings. As for the flapping, I'd look at bridging the two vertical braces with aluminum or even treated wood and running 2 screws into it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I failed to add in my post #3; build your own struts in addition to the factory ones; they are weak. I used 1" aluminum stock and bent them to fit from the bottom of the floor to where they attach to the fender - reinforce everything. Also look at the brace attachments at the floor, mine were always loose until I got in the middle of it.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #6
Gary R.

The skirts on our Alpine did the same thing, and one actually broke while cruising down the highway.

I replaced the so-called "supports" the factory supplied, and fashioned some aluminum stock, like Danny did. I also chucked the self-tapping screws in favor of stainless screws, washers and self-locking nuts. I did paint them black, too. No more loose screws to fall out, and the skirts don't flap as much as before.

Cheers!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:40 AM   #7
slow

Here are a few ideas that work to resolve the broken skirt issue: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=25243
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticus1701 View Post

I don't see any screw holes in your brackets, maybe too small to see in the picture. I would figure a diagonal brace to the bottom of the legs then screw it all together. With your spread axles that divider is very wide and very flimsy, it needs solid support.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:28 AM   #9
ChuckS

You can also repair the cracks and keep using the fender skirt and correct the fender bracing as others have shown...

JB Plastic Bond ( not JB Weld) will make a permanent repair to cracks in the fender skirting... Simply stop drill the cracks, apply a coat of the mixed plastic bond on the front side and dress it up and apply on the backside of the crack

You can use a thin piece of metal on the backside of the crack and apply over the area with the same plastic bond...

Once cured then light sand the exterior to blend in the repair and touch up with matching spray paint...

I've done this on both fender skirts on My Alpine.. Not gonna buy new skirts.. The repairs are on their second and third year....

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:59 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
The skirts on our Alpine did the same thing, and one actually broke while cruising down the highway.

I replaced the so-called "supports" the factory supplied, and fashioned some aluminum stock, like Danny did. I also chucked the self-tapping screws in favor of stainless screws, washers and self-locking nuts. I did paint them black, too. No more loose screws to fall out, and the skirts don't flap as much as before.

Cheers!

I failed to mention in my previous post that something needs to be done with the self tapping Robertson square drive screws or they just keep coming loose. The stainless screws/washers/nylock nuts are a good option. I have also used 8x32 speed and spring nuts on those Robertson screws;

https://www.grainger.com/product/1LB...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-spr...SABEgKLqfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group...31890488&psc=1

I carry a Robertson screw driver in the truck and one at the entry door of the trailer. I check those skirts periodically during a trip, at the end and before I leave to tighten any that might be a bit loose. My first skirt disappeared 42 miles into the maiden voyage of a brand new trailer. Others flopped in the wind,cracked etc. Got a brand new one (not for this trailer) sitting in the box in a barn they were so problematic.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #11
jxnbbl

Same as sourdough. Our first trip I looked out of my mirror and noticed it flapping...fixed it every stop (tightened the remaining) until our first 2 night stay on our journey. Then bought bolts to replace the self tapping screws and used those about 8 per side and filled in the remaining with the self tapping screws left over. Only 1/2 -2/3rds of the possible connection points were actually used.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #12
08quadram

My old Passport did that. The way the fenders are made does not allow for the screws to sit tightly to the trailer. The fender has a lip at the edge. Over time the pressure from the screws causes cracks at the holes and eventually braking(in my case). I installed small rubber grommets between the fender and body. This allowed me to tighten the screws without putting too much pressure on the fenders.

I also added braces underneath ro help with flex from the wind.

Luckily I've had no issues yet with my 2020 Bullet other than a couple of loose screws. It is on my list of things to do this summer.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
My old Passport did that. The way the fenders are made does not allow for the screws to sit tightly to the trailer. The fender has a lip at the edge. Over time the pressure from the screws causes cracks at the holes and eventually braking(in my case). I installed small rubber grommets between the fender and body. This allowed me to tighten the screws without putting too much pressure on the fenders.

I also added braces underneath ro help with flex from the wind.

Luckily I've had no issues yet with my 2020 Bullet other than a couple of loose screws. It is on my list of things to do this summer.

I've not used the rubber grommets. I bought finishing washers (rounded, rolled edges), painted them black to match and put them under the screws to spread the force because as you said, the screws alone will crack that plastic - and that's where the JB Weld/Plastic Mend comes in.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've not used the rubber grommets. I bought finishing washers (rounded, rolled edges), painted them black to match and put them under the screws to spread the force because as you said, the screws alone will crack that plastic - and that's where the JB Weld/Plastic Mend comes in.
The fender on the roadside on our unit is mounted to a slideout. The back 6" or so floats in the air unsupported beyond the slide out. The day I brought it home I could see it fluttering in the wind. The first thing I did when I got home was mix some JB Weld and slap it on a paint stirring stick. Clampped it on until it set. I thought "I'll have to get some aluminum and make a stifner. That was 10 yrs ago and it's still on there, still doing it's job.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #15
markdol1

Wink breaking fender skirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Here are a few ideas that work to resolve the broken skirt issue: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=25243
this is EXACTLY what i did to mine .thanks slow ,be sure to use silicone sealant on reinstalling screws!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #16
daveinaz

Like others have said, we had the same problem with our Montana — looked in the mirror and saw it flapping away. I replaced some screws with nut and bolts, put larger flat washers on the bolt to spread the force on the plastic fender, and bent those factory “supports” outward so they actually apply pressure to the fender to keep it from flapping around.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #17
Todd 423

I replaced mine with Al, that's what Luxe uses.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #18
Cfilipiak

Fenders failing

Same problem. The screws keep stripping out of the holes. Plastic cracks. Like everything else on my Cougar bunkhouse travel trailer, one word summed it up, CHEAP!
Cfilipiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #19
jasin1

What about removing the fender and lay some fiberglass cloth and resin to the inside to strengthen it? May make it more durable with out much cost
Old 03-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #20
Folkie

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with fender skirt issues. I was walking around the camper in my driveway last year and I heard a noise, I turned around and saw one of the supports just fell off!