Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
ron oneal

toilet leaks

we have a 2020 keystone 324cg
We have been getting what looks like clean water around the base of the toilet, an can not find the source of the leak...the supply line coming in is dry , the mystery continues,, and there is not water there all of the time
ANY THOUGHTS
ron oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have a pressure regulator on the hose connection outside?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron oneal View Post
we have a 2020 keystone 324cg
We have been getting what looks like clean water around the base of the toilet, an can not find the source of the leak...the supply line coming in is dry , the mystery continues,, and there is not water there all of the time
ANY THOUGHTS
What model is the Keystone 324CG and what type toilet do you have? A signature would go a long way to clearing up questions if you add year, make and model of your camper as well as for your tow vehicle. There are a couple reasons Dometic 300 series toilets can produce a leak like you describe.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
ron oneal

Yes I do we always have a regulator
Old 02-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
ron oneal

Yes it does have a domoic toilet
Old 02-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Disconnect the water hose from your camper and fill your fresh water tank. Now, turn on your on-board water pump. Let the system pressurize. Run the faucets to get all the air out of the lines. Now, turn off all faucets tight. And wait and listen.

If the water pump turns on, you have a leak somewhere. If it does not turn on, you do not have a water line leak. The water is coming from some other place (could be condensation too).

It takes only about 2 ounces or less of water for the on-board water pump to cycle on and off. Yes, only 2 ounces or less. That is a very tiny bit of water. So, if the toilet lines have a leak, you'll know it pretty fast.

Try it, see what happens. You've got nothing to loose and this costs absolutely nothing except a little time and patients.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
Countryboy

Is the ball at the bottom of the bowl in good shape? does the water level in the bowl drop?
Countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #8
ron oneal

THE toilet will not hold water all of the time...mostly drains out...
Old 02-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The toilet bowl draining into the black tank is not a problem that would cause a leak to the bathroom floor. (unless there is a problem with the foam gasket at the toilet flange, which would cause a leak when the toilet is flushed, so unlikely the problem)...

You didn't say if your toilet is a Dometic 310 (round bowl with no inside lip on the "business end of the toilet") or a Dometic 320 (oval bowl with a lip on the inside top rim of the bowl).

There are two possible issues. If your "water inlet valve" is just pushed into the toilet fitting and held in place with the clips or with one screw, it may be leaking around the valve and onto the floor. This applies to both the 310 and the 320 toilet inlet valve.

The other applies to the 310 (round bowl) toilet. If your water pressure is too high or if the flush holes inside the toilet bowl have calcium buildup, then the buildup can cause the water to "spash out of the toilet. You won't notice it splashing over the rim with the toilet seat down as it will run under the seat and onto the floor.....

So, first check the inlet valve with a flashlight and mirror to see if there are two screws holding the valve in place. You can see them easily with a mirror. If they are missing, install them and recheck for leaks. If they are present, and you have a 310 (round toilet) lift the seat and watch how the water flows from the flush ports and swirls around the inside of the bowl. If it "gets precariously close to the rim, chances are the water pressure is too high and if only one or two ports are "diverting water to the rim, I'd check for calcification in the ports.

As for the "water won't stay in the toilet, first reseat the bowl gasket. The instructions are in the owner's manual. If it still leaks out, there is a "hot water molding procedure" in the owner's manual. If that doesn't work, then you need to replace the bowl gasket.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:18 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Ron, if your toilet is a Dometic and won't hold water, buy two new seals. The seal is a snap to install (see a youtube video) and you will have a spare. We camp about once a month and I have had to replace ours. You can also try some lube on it (I was scolded for suggesting vaseline) but that CAN work but a new seal will definitely work.

Take a minute to put together a signature; under UserCP and make sure you save it. Year, make and model of camper and tow vehicle really help give answers to questions context. BTW: John listed ALL the reasons your leak may be happening but I don't recall foam under the toilet between it and flange under. It has been a couple years since I installed mine.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #11
bobbecky

After close to eight years on our Dometic 310, full time use, it wouldn't hold water in the bowl. I replaced the ball gasket but that just made it worse. Finally figured out that the mechanism must have worn out and the ball was not high enough to make contact with the gasket. A little over $200 later and we have a new 310 toilet, this time it has the slow close wood seat and lid.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:35 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
After close to eight years on our Dometic 310, full time use, it wouldn't hold water in the bowl. I replaced the ball gasket but that just made it worse. Finally figured out that the mechanism must have worn out and the ball was not high enough to make contact with the gasket. A little over $200 later and we have a new 310 toilet, this time it has the slow close wood seat and lid.
That's nice ain't it? Replaced on in the S&B with a Kohler that had that....loved it. Proceeded to change all the toilets in the houses (needed something to do) with them just so I (DW I mean) wouldn't hear and complain about the "crack" when I accidentally let that lid go. She (I) seems much happier these day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:13 AM   #13
ron oneal

Thanks everyone. I think my signature is saved.
I really appreciate everyone's inputs.
Ron
Old 03-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #14
maccam1

my gasket needed replaced
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #15
NH_Bulldog

I have had a water valve go bad. It wasn’t seated correctly into the fitting on the toilet. There is a snap-lock and a place for two screws…..Dometic only installs one screw and if someone gets a little aggressive with the flush pedal it will often leak. It doesn’t follow the water line, it dribbles out of the valve housing down the side of the toilet and onto the floor. I bought a new valve off Amazon and that fixed my problem
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks, toilet