Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #1
Bustinbeards

Proper generator size

I have a 2019 Bullet 287qbs I was looking at generators what is the quietest and proper size generator I should get?
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What is the shore power amperage rating for your trailer and what are you trying to power?

If it's a 50 amp trailer, you'll be "hard pressed" to find a gas generator that will provide the 12,000 watts to "equal shore power" but at the same time, if you're just trying to run the converter/charger and maybe the microwave, a 2000 watt inverter generator may be all you need. Add air conditioning and you'd need to double the generator size to run the air on a hot day.

So, what are you trying to operate when on generator power?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
Bustinbeards

I have 30A. I’d like to be able to run the ac if possible. Mostly just to use plug/ lights and to charge the battery.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration, and I would encourage you to take everything said here by myself and others and determine what fits your particular needs and situation.

I have a single 13.5k Dometic air conditioner and my shore power cord is 30a. We bought a Generac GP3000i inverter generator. Fairly light at about 55 lbs and It is so quiet I can hear my brother’s Honda 2000 one campsite over, even standing next to my camper. It has a 30a twist-lock plug and I can run my AC through it’s normal cycles without issue. We used the generator quite a bit during our 50+ nights of camping this year and we are VERY happy with our experience. As a disclaimer, we only ran the AC sporadically on any given day. Mostly we used the generator to top off the batteries and to power my office-away-from-the-office for a few hours a day during our various trips when there was no shore power connection.

However, just for the sake of longevity of the AC unit and the generator, I picked up a MicroAir EasyStart soft starter for the AC unit to install this spring when we pull the camper out of storage and that should mean the 3000i will remain more than adequate for all our needs (at least until we squirrel away enough acorns for our next camper 1-2 years down the road).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:35 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

For a 30 amp trailer, I'd look at a 3200-3400 watt INVERTER generator. There are some "open frame inverters" on the market, but they are not as quiet as a "closed frame inverter".

The "gold standard" is Honda or Yamaha. Plan on well over $1000 for either unless you luck out on a used one on Craigslist or EBay. Champion makes a good 3200 watt "basic inverter generator" as does Harbor Freight, WEN, General Electric and Westinghouse. I'm sure there are lots of others as well.

To me, the key is a "closed frame inverter" about 3200 watts from a company or a retail outlet that can service it if you do have problems. If you look at the HF Predator series, make sure you get the extended "exchange for a new one" warranty. It's definitely worth the money for a 2 year warranty rather than the 90 day warranty that comes standard.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

There are all kinds of "generators" for an RV. As stated, you want an INVERTER generator, not the old open frame generators (read construction). Used to carry one with me (7500 watt) everywhere I went years ago but man, that thing was loud.

Newer ones come in all kinds of sizes and brands from cheap to expensive. Hondas are considered top of the line but there are others. I have opted to use Generac models. During a home power outage recently I needed a generator to keep all the fridges/freezers running. I was going to get a Champion but there were none available within hundreds of miles (3500). Found a Craftsman of all things (I don't buy Craftsman stuff anymore). Since it was the ONLY thing similar to what I wanted/needed I had to do some research. The Craftsman is a Generac gen painted red with the Craftsman logo. I hoped to get the IQ3500 but the one supposedly in stock wasn't. Bought a GP3300i as it was the only one anywhere I could get - VERY surprised and happy.

I have not used the above gen for my RV; ran 3 days keeping my stuff going at the house then cleaned up, covered it and it lives in the shop. I believe it will run my 13.5k A/C if the need arises although I may have to put a soft start in the 13.5 (smaller A/C). It is as quiet or more quiet than a Honda and is comparable is most any way....including price. Just another option.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
BandT

We were lucky enough to get a Generac IQ3500 last summer. We tested it with our smaller AC 13.5? with no problems at all. Then we tried the 15K? It would run it but not happy. Not light though! Decided it would live in the toy hauler or the back of the pickup. Not moving it around. Really impressed with how quiet it is!
Old 01-02-2022, 03:46 AM   #8
RickV

Kinda thread jacking but, maybe some answers might help OP.

I have been thinking about buying a new inverter generator. I have Champion 3500 electric start that I parked at my MIL's house for when we leave for the summer because her power goes out if the wind blows hard. It works great and I have an extended run cap for it and can hook it up to a boat tank if needed. I would like to get one preferably lighter to carry with us when we travel "Just in case" we need it. I am looking at a few different ones and would like to get pros and cons from real world user experiences.
There are 3 that I am looking at:

1. Champion Power Equipment 200951 2500-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight
2. Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment iGen2200
3. Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment iGen4500 (much heavier but way more power)

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #9
dutchmensport

I searched for a proper generator for 3 years, looking for the right one to power my 50 amp Fifth wheel. We had another generator that sounded like a lawn mower. It did pretty good, but it had no wheels and hard to move around. We used it at home for power outages. But we wanted something more adaptable for the camper, and the wife insisted everything in the camper work, or we get nothing at all.

So the search. Like I said, it took about 3 years but one day I stumbled into the Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generator. A little self research, a couple calls to my local RV dealership/repair shop, a visit to the same shop, discussions with the service guys, the people working in parts, and the general consensus was the P4500i.

We ended up buying 2 of them so we could power the full 50 amps.

I ran several stress tests on each one independently and combined together, ... 30 amp solo and 50 amp paired. And both worked great.

On one generator only (30 amp), absolutely everything in my camper ran perfectly fine. Of course, only 1 air conditioner ran. When flipping on the second AC unit, the generator turned off the trailer. It has it's own breaker in it to shut down power to the trailer if it exceeds the amps. And the generator continues to run. When that happens, I had to flip the reset button and power was restored back to the camper.

So, the exact same thing happens when hooked up to 30 amp shore power. If I try to run both AC's together, the breaker at the shore power source pops.

So, absolutely everything responded and worked exactly like being connected to 30 amp shore power with this generator. It ran both (but not at the same time), the 15,000 btu AC and the 13.5 AC. It ran the residential refrigerator, electric fire place, electric on the water heater, blow dryers, everything.

The Onan generators are not cheap. But they ARE good. Ours has run flawless for over a year now. There are those who say Champion has the same identical unit, just a different cover color, a different label, and a cheaper price. I don't know about that. All I know is, every review, every person I talked to, and from my own experience now, this generator has severed the purpose for which it was intended, and served that purpose very, very well for me.

Plus, these generators ARE very quiet. Both of mine can be running side-by-side and I can be standing directly over the top of them, and carry on a normal conversation without having to or raise my voice.

Here's a link to the web site. Search it out. Once you read everything about this generator, I think you'll have the "gold standard" to compare with everything else "out there." But remember .... this one IS NOT the cheapest by a long shot. But, I firmly believe it is the best for it's size and what it does.

https://www.cummins.com/generators/o...able-generator
Old 01-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Kinda thread jacking but, maybe some answers might help OP.

I have been thinking about buying a new inverter generator. I have Champion 3500 electric start that I parked at my MIL's house for when we leave for the summer because her power goes out if the wind blows hard. It works great and I have an extended run cap for it and can hook it up to a boat tank if needed. I would like to get one preferably lighter to carry with us when we travel "Just in case" we need it. I am looking at a few different ones and would like to get pros and cons from real world user experiences.
There are 3 that I am looking at:

1. Champion Power Equipment 200951 2500-Watt Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight
2. Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment iGen2200
3. Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment iGen4500 (much heavier but way more power)
I have an iGen2500 Watt Westinghouse. I live at 8800 feet elevation and have the Easy Start. I can say that when it is hot out, the generator may or may not be able to run the AC. 85 degrees seems to be the threshold. Remember to consider derating for altitude. Mine is derated to 75% or so. I would recommend a bit more of a genny for this elevation.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:24 PM   #11
skids

I should add, at high elevations it is generally cooler, so we would not likely need the power hungry AC. When we travel in the flats, we generally find electrical hook-up camp sites an leave the generator home. When camping in the mountains, we take the generator to recharge the batteries, run the microwave, and assure that we can retract the slide.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:02 AM   #12
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I should add, at high elevations it is generally cooler, so we would not likely need the power hungry AC. When we travel in the flats, we generally find electrical hook-up camp sites an leave the generator home. When camping in the mountains, we take the generator to recharge the batteries, run the microwave, and assure that we can retract the slide.
Like I posted above i would like to have a lightweight one "Just in Case". The odds of us boondocking especially with this 5er are slim to none, but there is always something unforeseen and a ultralight genny may come in handy.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #13
dooby

I have a Bullet 290BHS with a 15K BTU GE A/C, 30 amp service. I use a Firman W03081 inverter generator. I can lift it into the back of my truck by myself which was an important consideration in my case. It easily runs the A/C, lights etc, and charges the battery. I run the water heater and fridge on propane and turn the A/C off is we run a toaster or hair dryer. No problems and you can't beat the price. I paid $550 CAD on sale at Costco.
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
I have a Bullet 290BHS with a 15K BTU GE A/C, 30 amp service. I use a Firman W03081 inverter generator. I can lift it into the back of my truck by myself which was an important consideration in my case. It easily runs the A/C, lights etc, and charges the battery. I run the water heater and fridge on propane and turn the A/C off is we run a toaster or hair dryer. No problems and you can't beat the price. I paid $550 CAD on sale at Costco.
For any person that can actually lift their generator there is a forum rule that you must disclose your age, height and weight. At my age, bringing in the Chewy order 40' bags of puppy food is excruciating.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #15
dooby

58, 5' 6.875" and just about 15 pound above movie star weight.
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #16
WJQ

I have not read all of the threads but will offer my thoughts. First, where I camp in the western US, AC is rarely needed so none of my options considered that requirement. Most of my camping is in National Forest sites where there is no shore power but there are FISH!

I have owned two trailers and two different size motorhomes between the times I owned the trailers. In my opinion, the weight of the generator is one of the most important things and too many KW will result in too many pounds.

Another item to consider if you do not have to run an air conditioner is better batteries. The lithium-ion batteries offered at Costco for about $700 will get you lots of power (Ahr) for several days of use for general use for lights, TV, fans, etc., with no generator. I don't have these batteries yet for my camp trailer but I do for my trolling motor. My one trolling motor battery can provide power for 4 days of fishing at about 6 hours per day and still have some Ahrs left over. My guess is that for my trailer, I could probably go a full week without charging. (no 1500 Watt hair dryer or space heater).

So, what do I now have? Two 6 volt lead-acid batteries with 232 Ahr capacity. But recalling that lead-acid batteries should not be discharged below 50% or substantially reduced life will result. I have a 280 Watt solar panel. In good weather, this will work forever to keep my batteries charged, power for lights and TV for many hours a day if I desire. However, if it gets cloudy for several days or really cold, I have a Honda 2200 as my backup. I have a 2000 Watt inverter that I use for my 120V AC power needs. I thought the inverter would operate my 1350 Watt microwave for reheating food. Not so! It turns out that microwaves have a peak power demand of 3 to 4 times the nameplate and the inverter, rated for 4000-watts peak, shuts itself down when I tried to run the microwave! I have bought a new, smaller microwave to install next spring and hopefully, that will run off of my 200 W inverter. I tested it once and it was fine but not tested for any sustained use. So, during most of the camping season, I take my Honda generator and a couple of gallons of gas and seldom use it. However, it will run the old microwave just fine and my wife's hairdryer if needed. It will also be there if the weather turns bad.

So, another item to consider besides lifting the generator is the added load on your vehicle. If you put it into the back of your tow vehicle, it adds weight to the rear axle. If you have lots of load capacity margin, get anything you can lift. Otherwise, be careful.

So, lots of things to consider but to me, weight is still one of the main things as I do not have a bad back and certainly do not want one either.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
58, 5' 6.875" and just about 15 pound above movie star weight.
I figured you were a youngster!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #18
precab

Easy solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
I have a 2019 Bullet 287qbs I was looking at generators what is the quietest and proper size generator I should get?
Is a new truck an option to solve this? Ford Trucks now come with a 30amp built in Generators that runs 32-80 hours on the truck gas tank depending on the usage. $750 option if you order their hybrid version. Real Game changer since most of us are tired of lugging gen sets around.
precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #19
DarnDog

I'm looking for a generator as well and lots of useful information here. I'm intrigued with the versatility of dual fuel and the option of not carrying gas. Anyone have comments on this? pros/cons?
DarnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
For any person that can actually lift their generator there is a forum rule that you must disclose your age, height and weight. At my age, bringing in the Chewy order 40' bags of puppy food is excruciating.

Yep, bringing in that bag of food can be painful but that specialized Royal Canin food at $4-$5 lb/can REALLY is excruciating..... Pay for it.....pain; bring it in....pain. Guess I'd do it for her if I had to crawl to do it though....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator