Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
Wylie1

Wingate Gateway Router

Hello all,

I have the the Air360+ and the Wingate Gateway Router. Can you use your Cell phone Data Plan or do you have to get a separate one? Thanks in Advance.
Wylie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie1 View Post
Hello all,

I have the the Air360+ and the Wingate Gateway Router. Can you use your Cell phone Data Plan or do you have to get a separate one? Thanks in Advance.
It needs a sim card.. from a carrier.. I use AT&T 15 gigs per month $25
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Wylie1

Ok. Could you get that SI Card added to your Cell plan and not another bill?
Old 12-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie1 View Post
Ok. Could you get that SI Card added to your Cell plan and not another bill?
Yep... Sure did
Old 12-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
Wylie1

Nice!! Thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #6
levic900rr

How does that thing work in general? I've seen very mixed reviews...
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
jxnbbl

I'm in hightech and rely on it to connect either through an available wireless network or use the cell network. I've found it to be an asset as my laptop will not get a strong enough signal 1/2 the time, but will connect find with the gateway. We additionally will use it for streaming entertainment on occasion.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
levic900rr

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I work remote and have been considering some extended road trips with the Passport and I need to make sure I have decent connectivity and this looked like a decent option as long as it worked.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
jsb5717

I've used the antennas and wiring in the 360+ with my own 4G router and a separate WiFi booster. My guess is that they work about the same. They are only as good as the signal they receive...whether Wifi or 4G. You can amplify a weak signal to be less weak but not strong. You can pass through a strong signal but likely without much added benefit over connecting directly. Sometimes if the area we are in has a strong 4G signal then we're better of not using our router, which might slow it down. Same with a good, strong local Wifi signal. I find the best use of my boosters is with a weaker signal to gain a more consistant signal, although it still might not be strong enough to stream video well.

Garbage signal in/marginally better garbage signal out. Decent signal in/better signal out.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #10
CaribouHunter

jsb5717, which 4G router did you end up using? I've been looking at a few but I was unable to decide which model to get that could use the winegard 360+ antennas.

I'm up in Canada and Winegard doesn't have a "Canada" plan. The US 10gb plan is $59. In order for me to use their services I would need to purchase the "US and Canada" package, 10gb is $80. I use a cellular company in Canada called Bell. Winegard told me their router is not compatible with Bell. This is why I'm wondering which 4G router you are using.

Are there any other Canadians reading this that where successful in using the winegard GW1000 with a Bell data plan? Or any other Canadian cellular company other than AT&T, Verizon or T- Mobile?

It kind of frustrates me that the Winegard 360+ is a "selling feature" on RVs in Canada without being able to connect to a Canadian data plan... Winegard lists the GW1000 as "unlocked" (not locked to a carrier), but when i contacted them, they told me the GW1000 will only work with the big 3 companies from the US, or on winegard's own data plan.

I would love any ones input on this matter!
CaribouHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #11
PCarr

We have a Winegard 360 + with a Winegard GW 1000 router. After 3months of trying to get a T-Mobile SIM card to work we finally gave up. T-Mobile refunded 100% of our money. ($50.41 per month) The connection was good to excellent but it could not provide an internet connection. Any thoughts on why this never worked?
PCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarr View Post
We have a Winegard 360 + with a Winegard GW 1000 router. After 3months of trying to get a T-Mobile SIM card to work we finally gave up. T-Mobile refunded 100% of our money. ($50.41 per month) The connection was good to excellent but it could not provide an internet connection. Any thoughts on why this never worked?
I've asked this question before, but here goes .

Were you trying to use a sim card from a phone or from a tablet/hotspot
Old 09-13-2022, 08:32 AM   #13
PCarr

SIM Card

The SIM card that T-Mobile gave me was from a local T-Mobile store. I specifically told them it was for a Router in a travel trailer. Do they have a different SIM card for RV routers?
PCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #14
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouHunter View Post
jsb5717, which 4G router did you end up using? I've been looking at a few but I was unable to decide which model to get that could use the winegard 360+ antennas.
Sorry for the delay on this...missed it somehow.

I don't know what's available in Canada, but I'm on Xfinity Mobile, which runs on Verizon's network. I'm using their SIM in a Verizon hotspot, which works just fine, although maybe not as fast as it might be if I used a Verizon SIM.

However, I'm also going to try Visible to see if there's any speed improvement.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #15
jsb5717

Quote:
Does the Winegard documentation say that it will work with TMobile? I don't recall see that it does but I could have missed it.

Quote:
The SIM card that T-Mobile gave me was from a local T-Mobile store. I specifically told them it was for a Router in a travel trailer. Do they have a different SIM card for RV routers?
The SIMs are the same but it seems to me that their effectiveness could vary based on application. A TMobile SIM assigned to a phone, but then placed in a hotspot might get deprioritized. TMobile's system will know what device it's loaded in and might alter it's functionality as a result. I don't know that for a fact, but it feels to me that that's what's happening with my Xfinity SIM in a Verizon hotspot. Just a thought...
Old 09-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #16
Carrottop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouHunter View Post

I'm up in Canada and Winegard doesn't have a "Canada" plan. The US 10gb plan is $59. In order for me to use their services I would need to purchase the "US and Canada" package, 10gb is $80. I use a cellular company in Canada called Bell. Winegard told me their router is not compatible with Bell. This is why I'm wondering which 4G router you are using.

Are there any other Canadians reading this that where successful in using the winegard GW1000 with a Bell data plan? Or any other Canadian cellular company other than AT&T, Verizon or T- Mobile?

It kind of frustrates me that the Winegard 360+ is a "selling feature" on RVs in Canada without being able to connect to a Canadian data plan... Winegard lists the GW1000 as "unlocked" (not locked to a carrier), but when i contacted them, they told me the GW1000 will only work with the big 3 companies from the US, or on winegard's own data plan.

I would love any ones input on this matter!
Tried to get this working. Spoke with Rogers/Telus/Bell none will support it. I eventually gave up and just signed up for Starlink satellite service. It is a little more expensive as i pay $140 per month for unlimited data.

Probably not worth the investment for Wineguard to get this setup for Canadians based on the limited market vs. the US.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
99.9999% of mobile phone store employees don't even know that there is a difference between a sim for a phone and a sim for a hotspot/laptop.. and yes there is a difference..
Old 09-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Does the Winegard documentation say that it will work with TMobile? I don't recall see that it does but I could have missed it.

The SIMs are the same but it seems to me that their effectiveness could vary based on application. A TMobile SIM assigned to a phone, but then placed in a hotspot might get deprioritized. TMobile's system will know what device it's loaded in and might alter it's functionality as a result. I don't know that for a fact, but it feels to me that that's what's happening with my Xfinity SIM in a Verizon hotspot. Just a thought...
https://winegard.com/service-plans/data-plans/t-mobile/
Old 09-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #19
jsb5717

Well, there you have it...thanks, Javi