Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
skunked again

Travel apps ?

Are there any travel apps that are recommended? Allow width/height as a search parameter?

Thanks
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
Are there any travel apps that are recommended? Allow width/height as a search parameter?

Thanks
With your setup shown in the picture I don't think you'll ever have an issue traveling due to heighth, width or weights.
I'd be more concerned towing more than a personal water craft or snowmobile with a Nissan Frontier.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
skunked again

For the first part of your reply, thank you.
As for the second part.... Have you ever towed with a frontier?
Old 07-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
For the first part of your reply, thank you.
As for the second part.... Have you ever towed with a frontier?
You're welcome!
And no & wouldn't tow a rv with one!
Did borrow my Dad's '16 Frontier for a couple weeks while my truck was in the shop & was not impressed with it. It got very poor mpg. Took about 3 blocks to turn it around, not to mention a 3 point turn was required to park in a store parking lot, absolutely no turning radius. Apparently he wasn't impressed either, traded it off about 18 months later.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-24-2021, 04:57 AM   #5
skunked again

A bit sarcastic, aren't we ?
Why comment, when you have no experience?
Is getting off a topic, a common thing on this site?
Old 07-24-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
Getn off

Last year I subscribed to the Co-Pilot app that had great reviews for this. It took me down a very small old street with many very tight curves, and an old bridge with a max weight of 8 tons… I was at 22k at that time! Also lost a tv antenna due to very short trees in that same residential area. Granted, the app can’t show tree height.
For this year’s annual summer trip I splurged and bought a Garmin 785 for $500 bones due to the great reviews, and didn’t want a duplicate of last year. Well. Just entering Lake Norman St Park it sent me over a bridge that was just below my new rig current total weight of 31k. Curiously, the only other way out if the park was a second road that it took me to use when leaving. Soon as I got about a mile into that road the Garmin flagged and said unknown! Wtf?! Another residential area with crazy low trees and a couple sharp turns that where technically unusable. Ended up with 2 small punctures in the roof. Returned it yesterday.
For the record, yes I did set my height, weight, and length correctly. The Garmin even asks which kind of rig to help with sharp turns.
Both instances I had nowhere to turn around. Street too narrow and ditches on both sides, as well as narrow 90 degree driveways. Aint gonna back out miles in sharp curves.
Gonna just use the Ford unit and roll the dice and hope not to Crap out!

As for the criticism of the Nissan, I might listen to them. These guys have a wealth of knowledge and are actually trying to help you. They are “guessing” about your actual “door” weights, but are usually spot on. Yes, sometimes they (we) can get a bit snarky, but that happens as you age! Lol

Welcome to the site, and don’t get too bent over it. You will enjoy it for the most part.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
skunked again

Not bent, just asking. I'm truly curious, how one can reply, with having no experience.
Thank You both for the input.
If our camper is small enough, I wont worry, as per the first reply. Getn off - What you mentioned, is exactly what I want to avoid.
I understand the concern, pulling with a midsized truck, especially here in the states.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
Badbart56

I think the general knowledge learned on this forum is that 1/2 ton trucks have their own struggles with most travel trailers so it's a given that something as light duty as yours wouldn't be up to the task.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Last year I subscribed to the Co-Pilot app that had great reviews for this. It took me down a very small old street with many very tight curves, and an old bridge with a max weight of 8 tons… I was at 22k at that time! Also lost a tv antenna due to very short trees in that same residential area. Granted, the app can’t show tree height.
For this year’s annual summer trip I splurged and bought a Garmin 785 for $500 bones due to the great reviews, and didn’t want a duplicate of last year. Well. Just entering Lake Norman St Park it sent me over a bridge that was just below my new rig current total weight of 31k. Curiously, the only other way out if the park was a second road that it took me to use when leaving. Soon as I got about a mile into that road the Garmin flagged and said unknown! Wtf?! Another residential area with crazy low trees and a couple sharp turns that where technically unusable. Ended up with 2 small punctures in the roof. Returned it yesterday.
For the record, yes I did set my height, weight, and length correctly. The Garmin even asks which kind of rig to help with sharp turns.
Both instances I had nowhere to turn around. Street too narrow and ditches on both sides, as well as narrow 90 degree driveways. Aint gonna back out miles in sharp curves.
Gonna just use the Ford unit and roll the dice and hope not to Crap out!

As for the criticism of the Nissan, I might listen to them. These guys have a wealth of knowledge and are actually trying to help you. They are “guessing” about your actual “door” weights, but are usually spot on. Yes, sometimes they (we) can get a bit snarky, but that happens as you age! Lol

Welcome to the site, and don’t get too bent over it. You will enjoy it for the most part.
Troy
My garmin 785 up till now has been pretty good

The trip I’m on now it started acting up and showing two different roads to turn on ..shows me going straight but also turning.. I realize it’s probably showing an alternate route but it gets confusing…it also sent me down a road just to do a U turn and I had been following the prompts to a tee…the bc 35 WiFi rear view camera has been a disappointment also. I’m going to take an old boat transducer wire and try and make an extension cable for it

I’m going to try an update and see if this cures the issues
Old 07-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Not bent, just asking. I'm truly curious, how one can reply, with having no experience.
Thank You both for the input.
If our camper is small enough, I wont worry, as per the first reply. Getn off - What you mentioned, is exactly what I want to avoid.
I understand the concern, pulling with a midsized truck, especially here in the states.
I will admit I have absolutely no experience towing anything with a Nissan Frontier!
But I will say I've have towed utility trailers, boats, TTs/5th wheels of several lengths/weights & goosenecks hauling heavy equipment, some before I ever had a driver's license, for well over 50 years, some with inappropriate tow vehicles. So yes I can make comments about the use of appropriate tow vehicles & know what I'm talking about.
I'm sorry I stepped on your toes, made you mad & got off topic! But I'm only expressing my concern over your safety & everyone on the highway along side of you.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
skunked again

Didn't make me mad, I normally let stuff like that roll off. Caught me at a bad time. It's all good!
Thank you for the concern.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

And as we move back toward the topic, I would like to chime in as well as I'm interested - and I haven't done a search (which I will) since this thread was active.

Just installed the new suspension etc. on the MHC including heavier springs. Haven't got up there to measure yet but figure it might have raised it a tiny bit. I have had no interest in going to the NE but DW was born up there and so looks like we are going to be heading up and spending some time over a couple of years. Here in the S/SW there are very few places I'm worried about the size/height of the trailer. Heading up to the NE will pose some significant new challenges from everything I've read and been told therefore I'm interested in the best RV app, navigation device etc. to avoid ending up someplace trying to back up on a highway to find an exit road.

Not particularly fond of anything "app" related to go on a smartphone but would prefer a "device". On the other hand the OP requested info an the best app so don't want to hijack in a different direction.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #13
jasin1

I used the truckmap app for awhile…it was 8-10 as far as overall performance..was a little glitchy around some exits
Old 07-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #14
skunked again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
And as we move back toward the topic, I would like to chime in as well as I'm interested - and I haven't done a search (which I will) since this thread was active.

Just installed the new suspension etc. on the MHC including heavier springs. Haven't got up there to measure yet but figure it might have raised it a tiny bit. I have had no interest in going to the NE but DW was born up there and so looks like we are going to be heading up and spending some time over a couple of years. Here in the S/SW there are very few places I'm worried about the size/height of the trailer. Heading up to the NE will pose some significant new challenges from everything I've read and been told therefore I'm interested in the best RV app, navigation device etc. to avoid ending up someplace trying to back up on a highway to find an exit road.

Not particularly fond of anything "app" related to go on a smartphone but would prefer a "device". On the other hand the OP requested info an the best app so don't want to hijack in a different direction.
Perfectly fine! In hindsight, a separate device , with a bigger screen could be advantageous.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I'm a staunch believer in using "the right tool for the job". I don’t use flat bladed screwdrivers as pry bars or chisels and I don't use a phone to replace a "device specifically intended for the task". I have a 7" Garmin that hasn't let me down yet.

Regarding the previous commenys on the Nissan... You must need to make that decision. Hopefully you will make an informed decision. From what I have read the posts have been with the intent to help you find the information. Yes, it can ge a shock, and yes it can at first blush seem insulting when someone tells you that you possibly could be in error. That's all natural first reactions. Some folks get over it and go investigate, others get defensive and some even lash out and want to "shoot the messanger".

With reference to the "have you ever towed with.." . There are many folks here that have decades of varied experiences towing. I don’t think they need to submit a curriculum vitae to back up evey statement. More often than not years of general experience and common sense can predict the outcome without " specifically" experiencing the set of circumstances. I can say with certianty that if I mount a bicycle tire to a trailer axle that it will fail, I don’t have to actually do that to prove that it won't work.

I hope you take the advice (words of wisdom IMHO) as intended and travel safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #16
travelin texans

Pickup a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, all the roads are highlighted that are suitable for truck travel therefore most every rv will be good to go.
There are pages listed by state with low clearances, weight limited roadways & other cautions for trucks, some will also apply to some RVs.
Used one along with the built in truck GPS & Google maps on my phone for 10+ years fulltiming. Had a Garmin 10+ years ago we used for about a year, was lost for that year & was worse after Garmin updated it.
Those GPS devices mentioned & the MCA were much more accurate in my opinion.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Back when I did carry a phone (no longer do that) I used apps for various things. One of my PET PEEVES was being in Dallas, on I-35, (or another equally busy, congested unfamiliar route) relying on the phone's guidance to tell me where the left exit was so I didn't wind up in Denton.... Invariably, I'd either get a text or a voice call just 1/4 mile before that damn left exit and the "phone would disable GPS guidance to ring for voice or ding for text".....

A "dedicated device" doesn't "part time your GPS".... A phone does.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #18
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My garmin 785 up till now has been pretty good

The trip I’m on now it started acting up and showing two different roads to turn on ..shows me going straight but also turning.. I realize it’s probably showing an alternate route but it gets confusing…it also sent me down a road just to do a I turn and I had been following the prompts to a tee…the back 35 WiFi rear view camera has been a disappointment also. I’m going to take an old boat transducer wire and try and make an extension cable for it

I’m going to try an update and see if this cures my the issues
Hahaha! Yep. Mine worked great right up until it didn’t!
Done messing around with them. Just gonna use Fords best guess and try to keep up on it.
Yea, I made sure I was updated when I left too.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Hahaha! Yep. Mine worked great right up until it didn’t!
Done messing around with them. Just gonna use Fords best guess and try to keep up on it.
Yea, I made sure I was updated when I left too.
Troy
I pretty much rely on Ford's "best guess system" and depending on what settings I'm using, it's pretty darn accurate with how I'd "reason out a route"... Where it gets "wonkey" is when I try to change settings from "fastest" to "shortest' to "most economical"... Then it starts removing reason from the equation and starts routing down dirt roads, over "fjords in creeks" and other such nonsense....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #20
skunked again

Flybuoy - WOW! Talk about being hurt. I'll leave it at that, wait, nope, let's just stay off topic.... So what kinda tow vehicle do I need ? So I don't get anymore "I trust you'll make the right decision" for my family, those around me, and lastly, myself.
https://www.keystonerv.com/product/b...trailers/specs
Above is a link for keystone, our trailer is a 1900rd.
Remember what you wrote earlier, when recommending a tow vehicle.

Oh, by the way, I never asked for anyone's towing "curriculum vitae" for towing. Reread what I asked.