Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #1
DMKRV

Battery operated TV??

This isn’t for camping, but I thought you guys might have an answer. My elderly parents that are in assisted living want a battery-operated TV in case power goes out during a storm, so they can watch the local channel for weather. It’s for emergencies, not something they will watch routinely.

They seem to have problems with all things that involve rechargeable batteries. Since these TV’s will only run 1-3 hours on a charge, I would like to find something that can use either standard batteries or have standard rechargeable batteries. Most of what I see either has permanent rechargeable batteries built in, or proprietary battery packs. (By problems I mean they aren’t charged when they are needed, or they are shot and finding a replacement is drama.) Some standard rechargeable or disposable battery that they could have extra sets on-hand would be great.

The other requirements are that it has an antenna on it, not an antenna input, and that it is at least a 9” screen, bigger would be better. They are in a city and close to the local TV tower. Long range won’t be a requirement.

Thanks for any input.
DMKRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKRV View Post
This isn’t for camping, but I thought you guys might have an answer. My elderly parents that are in assisted living want a battery-operated TV in case power goes out during a storm, so they can watch the local channel for weather. It’s for emergencies, not something they will watch routinely.

They seem to have problems with all things that involve rechargeable batteries. Since these TV’s will only run 1-3 hours on a charge, I would like to find something that can use either standard batteries or have standard rechargeable batteries. Most of what I see either has permanent rechargeable batteries built in, or proprietary battery packs. (By problems I mean they aren’t charged when they are needed, or they are shot and finding a replacement is drama.) Some standard rechargeable or disposable battery that they could have extra sets on-hand would be great.

The other requirements are that it has an antenna on it, not an antenna input, and that it is at least a 9” screen, bigger would be better. They are in a city and close to the local TV tower. Long range won’t be a requirement.

Thanks for any input.
Can you get a portable power station and leave that plugged in to the wall for charging? Then your parents would simply plug their portable tv into it when power went out..or leave a portable tv permanently plugged in and ready and waiting..that way they could also charge a cellphone if they need to
Old 03-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Just have to ask, how often does the power go out? I haven't seen a battery operated tv with replacebale batteries in AA, C or D size for 20 years. Maybe a batter pack as suggested with a small inverter, say 100 watts for a small tv?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Jensen makes a line of 12VDC TV's for the Sun Seeker class C. Nice pictures and if you could figure out a way to have 12V they would be good..

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A 1500 watt UPS would give you about an 90-120 minutes of run time for a 19" LED TV. You can often find an APC UPS on sale for $149 or less. Set it up with only the TV plugged into it and when the power goes off, it automatically provides power to the TV. Just turn the TV on and away you go. Remember, when the TV is plugged in, the remote monitor circuits will draw power as will the "instant on feature" so you'll need to either adjust the TV settings or unplug it when they aren't using it for weather reports.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Many years ago when living in Maryland above the DC line, we were invited to a time share presentation. For going, you got your choice of a recliner or LCD tv. Sat through a couple hours, didn't bite and was given my choice of valuable prizes. The recliner was a lawn chair and the LCD tv was teeny-tiny with a 2" screen. It was battery operated and I probably still have it somewhere although not sure it works on digital channels. Even when my eyesight was younger, a 2" screen just was too darn small. Thankfully, football teams use different color jerseys!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
jasin1

I love the office
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5061FE6C-4C31-4CEE-94CE-EEBA1763AD1F.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	32559   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F9891E8-D5C2-45B2-BCC4-447B807A1A57.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	32560  
Old 03-22-2021, 02:13 AM   #8
notanlines

Our 32" Samsung in the RV bedroom is a smart TV 12 volt. I believe there are literally dozens available in all sizes online. How you power it is your job to configure. I believe John's UPS idea would fly if used in an extremely small TV.
Are they just hell-bent to watch Jim Cantore on Weather Channel or would they be better served with radio-based weather reporting?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery