Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Windwill

Keystone is replacing my floor

Keystone is replacing my floor with updated new HyperDeck flooring and I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this process with them.
Here’s what happened. We have a 2019 Passport 2920BH. About a year after we bought it I noticed that in the area outside the bathroom, the floor started making a sticky sound whenever anyone would step on it. It was like the vinyl flooring wasn’t completely sticking to the subfloor. So after the 2020 camping season the issue had spread to a larger area, so I decided to have a dealer check it out. They agreed there was an issue, so they called Keystone to explain the issue and Keystone agreed to pick it up and fix it.
So Keystone has our camper right now and have inspected it already. They found no signs of moisture damage, but they believe the floor has delaminated, meaning the glue has failed or was incorrectly applied at manufacture. so they will be starting the repairs soon which involve removing the slide, all electrical, plumbing and cabinets are disconnected from the floor. The shell of the unit (all 4 walls and roof) is braced and lifted at once. When the box is lifted, the walls are inspected for any water damage. The old floor is completely removed from the frame and a new HyperDeck floor is installed in its place. Linoleum and any carpeting on the main floor are replaced, then the shell and interior components are reinstalled.
It sounds like a huge job, but they have assured me that they do this all the time and everything will be fine in the end.
I’m just wondering if anyone else has gone through any thing like this.
Windwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
Windwill

I thought I’d post an update on how this repair with Keystone went. I got my RV back last week and the floor seems great. But I’m disappointed to say it came back with more issues than it went in with. Here’s a list of issues I found once I got it back.
1. All items from my outside kitchen were gone. I was told to remove every from the camper before Keystone picked it up, and I did. But left everything in the outside kitchen. Anyway, they had it all in a box and it was labeled with my info and just forgot to put it back in. They found it and shipped it to me.
2. 2 of 3 storage combi cam locks were damaged and no longer work. Not sure what happened, but they need to be replaced. I left them all opened and unlocked before I gave the camper to them.
3. My insect screen for my furnace vent is gone.
4. Some wood was damaged on my outside kitchen area.
5. The back bottom wall on the outside was left uncaulked.
6. The safety pin on my spare tire mount was missing, leaving the pin almost about to fall out. The pin allows the spare tire to fold down, if it fell out, it would been dragging down the road.
7. Foot plate was missing from my hitch jack.
8. Carabiner was missing from my break away cable.
9. And finally, the biggest issue. It looks like there were quite a few repairs done underneath the camper and the underbelly was opened up in several places. Some of these areas were poorly sealed with tape and other areas are still open and were never even attempted to be repaired. Almost all off the tape used is pealing and falling off leaving several areas open to the elements, critters or rodents. The underbelly was perfect before I gave it to Keystone. I can’t believe this was left this way. See pictures of all of these issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	848CF455-3259-4F9D-9A52-99608C59C803.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	32581   Click image for larger version

Name:	C339A622-87E0-4FAC-B841-1FB75A1E6488.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	32582   Click image for larger version

Name:	2E23760B-5AD4-4E4F-9AD1-6A994CD6E14B.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	32583   Click image for larger version

Name:	67EBF93D-C78D-409D-A5F6-C276AC907012.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	32584   Click image for larger version

Name:	912C746E-9DD7-4E70-996E-A45C5F20B34D.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	32585  

Click image for larger version

Name:	71759E3A-97F4-4FB4-B6F2-5B7C3DDDD162.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	32586   Click image for larger version

Name:	8572278E-FBCD-450B-8B85-5AAF8D8EECC2.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	32587   Click image for larger version

Name:	7D951FB3-0F12-43A0-8FFC-1EFE8F115500.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	32588   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DB74C6D-5CA8-4EA8-B042-25170D2EA94A.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	32589   Click image for larger version

Name:	33E94AC0-9ACE-4ACA-BC3F-564F6FDF2072.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	32590  

Old 03-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
Eastham

I would send the pictures to the factory who did the work. I cant imagine them being to happy with that type of work leaving the factory. Maybe some heads will roll and they will authorize a local dealer to fix the butcher job that they returned it to you in. Just a thought you never know it might get fixed.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
Windwill

Oh yeah, definitely. I’ve already been I contact with them about this. They’ll be calling me back tomorrow (they better) to let me know what will happen. I’ll let everyone here know what happens too. I have a pretty low opinion of Keystone right now though.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
Summergirl

I am sorry that yours came back that way. It seems to be hit or miss on the condition that they return. I thank my lucky stars that ours came back the same as it went. Our underside was dropped when they did the replacement. The only reason I know is that there are new screws in place and no cuts to the bottom.
Our floor was replaced last year and it took them 5 months. It was gone from the middle of July to the first week of Dec. It was at the Pendleton plant on the west coast.
There a couple of noticeable areas that I am not excited about but can live with or correct if really bother me. They are minimal.

I think that Keystone needs to know how these are being returned. I would be super pissed if mine came back that way.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Another member here had much worse of an experience with a factory floor replacement. You got off easy compared to theirs. But never the less, that shouldn't be like that.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
John&Genny

Wow, that is pretty sad. I think I could have hired a local handyman to do a better job than that, even if he wasn't experienced in RV repairs.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:00 AM   #8
spicercars

I don't understand why they cut the underbelly material. Its not that hard to remove it in most cases.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:05 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Wow, that is pretty sad. I think I could have hired a local handyman to do a better job than that, even if he wasn't experienced in RV repairs.
I think some high scholl kids in a tech class would do better than that.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

One has to wonder how folks who do these repairs are selected; bet it ain't the high performing guys on the assembly line. They may go out to a local bus stop and pay day wages to these techs. That underside repair was kind of scanky (is that word?).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #11
Windwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
I don't understand why they cut the underbelly material. Its not that hard to remove it in most cases.
Agreed. I don't know if this was an oversight and they forgot to fix/replace the underbelly or what. But they should have just removed it. They lifted the entire top and all 4 walls off the base, removed all cabinets and interior walls, and removed the slide. And they couldn't remove the underbelly? Ridiculous.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Most of the things found are not major but shouldn't have happened I agree. Removing the vent screen may have been an oversight or someone trying to prevent a problem. The manual says the vent should never be obstructed. It doesn't seem like an insect screen would do that but when I placed one on mine it immediately began to overheat and shut down so had to remove it. It would be nice to think that was the reason they did it and it was in the box with all the other stuff but....I doubt it.

The underbelly is a problem. Hopefully they will let you know today. The entire thing should just be replaced. Not a big deal and a dealer can do it.....properly I hope. Patches, scrim tape, gorilla tape etc. all eventually let go and it becomes an ongoing maintenance problem, especially if one lets go on a trip in bad weather. Push for a new underbelly IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #13
gregrc75

Thanks for posting this. I missed your original post in February. Our Premier just went through this process too and we will be picking it next week possibly. I have added your issues to my checklist when we go to pick up ours. This was helpful to share!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:43 AM   #14
kfp673

I have the other post going with the laundry list of items wrong when our camper came back after floor repair. Just picked it up yesterday after the dealer got through about 75% of the repairs. My list had 35 items on it. Service writer at the dealer said I'm now the 3rd person to NOT take their camper home once it came back from factory. Said they think Keystone just rushes it through without much care knowing the dealer will fix it, but it puts the dealer in a terrible spot. They are booked solid with other customers and they suddenly get a mad customer with 5 pages of repairs that need to be fixed right away.

Anyway, glad we could all share the stories. Hopefully we can all help each other point out things to look for as we find them.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
I have the other post going with the laundry list of items wrong when our camper came back after floor repair. Just picked it up yesterday after the dealer got through about 75% of the repairs. My list had 35 items on it. Service writer at the dealer said I'm now the 3rd person to NOT take their camper home once it came back from factory. Said they think Keystone just rushes it through without much care knowing the dealer will fix it, but it puts the dealer in a terrible spot. They are booked solid with other customers and they suddenly get a mad customer with 5 pages of repairs that need to be fixed right away.

Anyway, glad we could all share the stories. Hopefully we can all help each other point out things to look for as we find them.
This is NOT intended to defend Keystone (they should be fixing them right the first time), but it would seem to me "incumbent on the dealer" to at least look at the trailer and fix it before calling the customer to come pick it up, it's ready..... Especially if, as the service writer said, this is the 3rd one where the customer refused to accept the trailer... Seems that service writer ought to be changing the process at the dealership, knowing it's only going to "PO customers" to just call them in to get mad at seeing their trailer "all torn up"... Dealer ought to be taking a day or two after it gets back from the factory to go over it and fix that crap before calling the customer since they KNOW the customer is going to raise hell.

I blame Keystone for doing a shoddy job, but I also blame the dealer for "ignoring problems, hoping to get the trailer off their lot without fixing the problems"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Tells me the dealer hopes you don't notice or are so happy to get it back that they "get out of" doing the right thing. That would be my last purchase from that dealer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #17
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Tells me the dealer hopes you don't notice or are so happy to get it back that they "get out of" doing the right thing. That would be my last purchase from that dealer.
I disagree. I understand where you are coming from, and if you read my other post you will see that I am disappointed that they did not do a better check when it came back. However... None of that is planned or paid for. Keystone does this on their schedule and does not pay the dealer any labor to "check" things even though it is deemed a factory flaw. Only way the dealer gets paid is when they submit a warranty claim. I don't know about you but my dealer is booked 6-8 weeks solid at all times. So suddenly (again on Keystones terms) the camper comes back and in my case we have a trip planned 10 days from that date (tomorrow actually). The dealer gets this disaster back and calls me. They stress heavy that we should review it and they sent the service manager out to review it with me. Keep in mind, any of us owners know a lot more and can see much more detail of little things than a dealer who runs through hundreds of campers per month. Again, they did what I felt was right by saying "prepare to spend some time before you take it home" and disclosing that the last person had to leave it for more repairs. Again, they are paid for and scheduled for none of this. I then list 35 items and give them 10 days to repair it all. They dedicated 2 full days to my unscheduled trailer which means someone else got bumped.

Again, I wish they would do a better job reviewing these when they come back so I sort of get your point, however this is 99.9999% on Keystone IMO. They are performing total garbage work, shipping campers back to dealers and telling them to deal with the upset customers.
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
I disagree. I understand where you are coming from, and if you read my other post you will see that I am disappointed that they did not do a better check when it came back. However... None of that is planned or paid for. Keystone does this on their schedule and does not pay the dealer any labor to "check" things even though it is deemed a factory flaw. Only way the dealer gets paid is when they submit a warranty claim. I don't know about you but my dealer is booked 6-8 weeks solid at all times. So suddenly (again on Keystones terms) the camper comes back and in my case we have a trip planned 10 days from that date (tomorrow actually). The dealer gets this disaster back and calls me. They stress heavy that we should review it and they sent the service manager out to review it with me. Keep in mind, any of us owners know a lot more and can see much more detail of little things than a dealer who runs through hundreds of campers per month. Again, they did what I felt was right by saying "prepare to spend some time before you take it home" and disclosing that the last person had to leave it for more repairs. Again, they are paid for and scheduled for none of this. I then list 35 items and give them 10 days to repair it all. They dedicated 2 full days to my unscheduled trailer which means someone else got bumped.

Again, I wish they would do a better job reviewing these when they come back so I sort of get your point, however this is 99.9999% on Keystone IMO. They are performing total garbage work, shipping campers back to dealers and telling them to deal with the upset customers.

JMO from the stratosphere; I think Keystone is using the mindset, on a unit already improperly built then factory repaired to then send it out thinking the "dealer" should fix their oversights....again. Warranty on a new build is understandable...to a degree; warranty on a faulty "warranty" repair? Good grief. In reality what is a dealer really supposed to do - cover Keystone at reduced rates....forever?? Sheesh. And I'm a Keystone fan....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, keystone