Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #21
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Yes, where the kingpin contacts the cross-block bar needs lubed.
Disc for plate-to-plate contact, but we have never seen anything for a clean pin lube.
Not sure if Road Toad is speaking of the pin box pin and the hitch latches, but I also have B&W Companion hitch and I put a dab of grease around the pin groove where the hitch latch clamps around the pin. I also use the plastic disc plate and my hitch is spotless on the top plate.

Not familiar with other hitches, but the Companion top latch plate assembly pivots on two rubber or urethane mounts. B&W sent white lithium assembly lube for the two pivot points. When I take the top part of to remove the Companion assembly, I relube on assembly again. It's a bit too heavy for this 71 year old lift as a full assembly. Lifting the base straight up over 6" to get it out of the right fitting turn over hole is enough of a chore fire me as our is.

Should I not be lubing either the pivot mounts or the pin groove.
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #22
travelin texans

Used the nylon disc, lubed the B&W urethane head bushings with white lithium grease as recommended, sprayed all other moving parts will a silicone spray, never any greasy mess & after approximately 200k towing no apparent unusually worn parts.
Had one of the struts on the B&W head begin to leak that made a small mess, but B&W replaced both free of charge.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #23
jimmyg

grease on pin and plate

My instructions for B&W recommended Teflon plate to protect the hitch plate. They recommended white lithium grease for the hitch pin and pin coupler. Just use a spray can easy. Have to use cloth when I spray pin to keep grease off teflon plate. Been using it for over a year bi-weekly to move trailer from storage to campground for work. Spray monthly and all parts look like new.
jimmyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:30 AM   #24
jimborokz

On our first 5er when I added the disc it took out almost all the chucking. Just icing on the cake. Current Monty never went anywhere without it. Installed it at the dealer even before I brought it home.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:04 AM   #25
rhagfo

LOL!
While at a local RV dealers parts department the other day, as I approached the counter to pay, there was a tube of Amsoil 5th wheel hitch lube! I was sticker priced at $12.99! I asked if they sold any, or was it used as a leading to sell a teflon plate. He said they might have sold one tube!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, grease, hitch