Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
KSBowhunter 34TSB

2016 34TSB first damage

I hit something and didn't even know until I stopped to get gas. This rip is in the aluminum skirt under the back bedroom slideout. What are the best options for repair? I am thinking order a new skirt piece. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything since it's a first for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6928.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	30970  
KSBowhunter 34TSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Your lucky you only gouged the J channel. Couple of inches higher and it would have been major money. I had that happen to me many years ago in Ocean City, MD cg where they thought having the street signs with the sight numbers on a 4 X 4 at about that height. I guess they heard enough greif for the next year they were up about 6' tall.

I'd get in touch with the dealer and see if they can get it for you. Often they can get the factory to ship long or bulky items inside a new unit and save on shipping. Trekwood.com would likely have it but their shipping charges are very high.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I had something similar happen to mine, only it was caused by a tire blow-out. I did my best to fix the dented area and spray painted the affected area to match the existing color. it's still dented a little, but it was a lot easier than replacing it. I have no intentions of EVER trading this trailer. It's the last one I'll ever own.

Now, if the J-channel is actually torn, you could pop-rivet a new sheet of aluminum behind it, smooth out the J-channel and repaint the scratched paint. I suppose it's just how much you want to spend and your ability to fix things like this.

Another option is to turn it over to your insurance, take a hit on your deductible, and have a shop fix it.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I had something similar happen to mine, only it was caused by a tire blow-out. I did my best to fix the dented area and spray painted the affected area to match the existing color. it's still dented a little, but it was a lot easier than replacing it. I have no intentions of EVER trading this trailer. It's the last one I'll ever own.

Now, if the J-channel is actually torn, you could pop-rivet a new sheet of aluminum behind it, smooth out the J-channel and repaint the scratched paint. I suppose it's just how much you want to spend and your ability to fix things like this.

Another option is to turn it over to your insurance, take a hit on your deductible, and have a shop fix it.
I agree with David - having this fixed by either the dealer or others will take extreme amounts of patience, time, and money. If you can live with a minor flaw and this doesn't affect structural integrity or operability, straighten out the aluminum, rivet on a backing plate, apply some bondo filler if needed, spray paint, then go camping! I'll bet you can fix this where no one but you would even notice it in passing.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
ewbldavis

Two words:

Duct. Tape.

Seriously though - you could probably find some sheetmetal, paint it, and do it yourself reasonably well and cheap.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage