Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #21
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
This letter (site) was sent to me by a woman in Cornwall, England: They are VERY serious about their product in Cornwall, to the point of having it patented!
They are real deal. I have had both, I prefer the English version.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
lehtos for pasties and Clyde's for a hamburger, fries and a malt...both are a must when in st. Ignace
Clyde's was jammed packed

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #23
CrazyCain

for your viewing pleasure

Smoked White fish from Manly's in St. Ignace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_181828.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	28191   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_182019.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	28192   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_181824.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	28193  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #24
roadglide

Quote:
This letter (site) was sent to me by a woman in Cornwall, England: They are VERY serious about their product in Cornwall, to the point of having it patented!
In New Mexico the Mexican word for that is called empanadas .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
In New Mexico the Mexican word for that is called empanadas .
Two significant differences: First, empanadas are usually fried (some are baked) and pasties are always baked.

Empanadas don't have rutabaga (swede) in them. Pasties always include rutabaga. Carrot is sometimes substituted in "outlaw pasties"... no self respecting Yooper would ever agree to that substitution....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
Whitewolf

To me and many of my fellow Yoopers, the key ingredient is the crust. You can have the best tasting ingredients with just the right amount of spices, but if the crust sucks, well...............

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #27
billsr

We got our pasties from Muldoons in Munising when we were in the UP 2 years ago. Ready for some more.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #28
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Two significant differences: First, empanadas are usually fried (some are baked) and pasties are always baked.

Empanadas don't have rutabaga (swede) in them. Pasties always include rutabaga. Carrot is sometimes substituted in "outlaw pasties"... no self respecting Yooper would ever agree to that substitution....
I’m going and will try Them while I’m in the area maybe ride around and find Brevort lake I remember going to that lake every year for vacation in the late 60s
Old 06-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Brevort NF Campground is about 10 miles west of Letho's (US2) pasty shop. As you're headed west on US2, it's on the right side of the highway. Turn right, about 1.5 miles and you'll turn right again. Then straight into the campground (don't turn right onto the "day use/beach area road).

One of our members works as a campground host at Brevort. I won't name them, but they may chime in if they want you to know who they are.

We try to get to Brevort for a few days at least every other year. Fishing isn't the greatest and there's some pretty "hazardous" sand bars if you're "high speed boating"...

The campground is all rustic (no hookups) with dirt/grassy sites. Many are directly on the water and the rest are within easy walking distance. Depending on the time of your visit, ALWAYS carry some insect repellant with you. Between mosquitoes (the UP version are classified as large enough to require a hunting license) and the black flies/deer flies/horse flies, there's almost always a "painful bite awaiting".... The campground is always clean, well maintained and a nice place to spend a few days, "boondocking".

There's a brown NF sign on US2, it says, "Brevort Lake Recreation Area" with a small trailer under it. If you reach the shore of Lake Michigan and see the Hiawatha National Forest sign (the big one with rocks supporting it) then you're about 200' past the turn to the campground off of US2... Just beyond that "big NF sign" US2 opens up on the northern shore of Lake Michigan. Some of the "nicest fresh water beaches in the US are right there. There are numerous places to park along US2 and walk down to the water's edge. It's unique to stand on the sandy shore, look out over the water and not see a "distant shore". Yes, Lake Michigan is that large. And "no sharks or jelly fish" although there are occasional "sharp, jagged rocks" so step carefully.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 AM   #30
roadglide

John. I Remember brevort Lake having a line of small cabins along the beach across the lake there was old wooden vacant 2 story house on the beach ther were huge sand dunes as a kid of 10 years old everything is giant but that’s where we played on the dunes . The fishing was excellent and I do remember the lake being sandy shallow in places . I have my dad‘s 16 foot aluminum boat on my buggy trailer. Dad would strap the boat racks with the rubber Suction on top of the Oldsmobile and tied the boat on top of the racks and that’s how I remember brevort lake .
Old 06-23-2020, 06:11 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Jerry,

There are a LOT more cabins on Brevort now than what you remember. About the only "strip of waterfront" that doesn't have a cabin is the National Forest property. Otherwise, it's built up much more than what I remember from camping there when we lived in the UP in the 80's.

The campground is on a "peninsula" that juts out into the lake. The actual lake is on the east of the campground and there's a bay on the west. It's grassy, lots of milfoil and other species and there's some pretty good fishing in that part. The campground extends west from that peninsula with a "second part of the campground" that is "wetter with more bugs". We prefer finding a spot on the peninsula side of the campground. Some are "first come/first serve" but there are also some sites that can be reserved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #32
legger99

Pasties

Today I just went across the southern UP coming back from a family visit in Traverse City and can't say I have ever gotten a pastie from Lehto's, I will try to make it a point to pick one up on my next time through to sample.

I have had others from throughout the UP, but I am partial to Dobber's which are made & sold in the town I live in.

I also just discovered this site and it has a pastie tour: https://thepastyguy.com/portfolio/th...pasties-in-up/

And I use ketchup!
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:01 AM   #33
Whitewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger99 View Post
And I use ketchup!

I like gravy on the side to dip that big crust roll in at the end. I know we'll probably get kicked out of the U.P. for this, but Shirley likes a little mustard with hers.

Years ago, actually a lifetime ago, we rolled into Copper Harbor to camp at the state park with our kids in a tent. As the gas station attendant was filling my tank (yeah, THAT long ago), I saw several restaurant signs. The following short conversation took place.

Me: Who makes the best pasties in town?
Him: (deadpan, no expression) My mom.
Me: (looong pause) Ok, who makes the second best pasties in town?
Him: (a little smile now) That place over there.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
Old 06-30-2020, 05:17 AM   #34
notanlines

Him: My name is Legger. I'm a ketchuphaulic.

Group: Hello, Legger. Welcome.

Him: I eat ketchup on pasty.

Group: You may need more than one sponsor!

Group: You may find pasty outlets won't sell to you.

Group: Keep coming back. It works if you work it.

And to think I was sworn to secrecy by Whitewolf and his wife's mustard!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:16 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Me: Who makes the best pasties in town?
Him: (deadpan, no expression) My mom.
Me: (looong pause) Ok, who makes the second best pasties in town?
Him: (a little smile now) That place over there.

You left out the "tonal inflection": In Copper Harbor, his response would have been: "Dat place ova dare, eh."

When it comes to "a whole 'nother country".. Texas has nothing over da UP, eh?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #36
ronheater70

Quote:
Pasties are a "taste choice" for most that have sampled them from various places around the UP. Letho's in St Ignace (only the original on US2, west of town, not the new Letho's across from the ferry docks in town) are the first choice. Second is Muldoon's in Munising (just as you start up the hill west of town), try the apple pastie for dessert. There are probably 200 or more varieties of pasties across the UP, but these two are "personal favorites. I "draw the line" at "breakfast pasties made with SOS" and served before noon...

Tom, we were there last week, had two while sitting on the picnic tables and brought 6 home.

The "dilemma" still unresolved is: Catsup or gravy..... For us, it's gravy, a dill pickle and chocolate milk.
We rent a cabin On lake Superior in AuTrain and the first pastie I tried was from Muldoon's Those things are good. Really the equate to a hand held pot pie with a lil something extra!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #37
Whitewolf

Quote:
And to think I was sworn to secrecy by Whitewolf and his wife's mustard!
I'm sorry, I couldn't keep the secret any longer. Wow. I feel better now that it's out.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #38
Whitewolf

Quote:
When it comes to "a whole 'nother country".. Texas has nothing over da UP, eh?
We've lived here close to 26 years now. Shirley's family is from Missouri, right on the Arkansas border.

A few years ago her family had a reunion. Us guys naturally gravitated into a group. After a few minutes they started asking exactly where Shirley and I live because I talked funny. So I lapsed into a little Yooper speak and the looks on their faces was priceless. 'Course I had to translate what I said.

Holy wah! Dey taut dat it was a hoot, eh! (We all had a great laugh.)

Old 06-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #39
legger99

Thanks for the Welcome!

And ketchup can't be as bad as mustard? - I don't even have that yellow stuff in the refrigerator!

I am now wondering what gravy would be like. I think Dobber's has ketchup bottles on the tables there might have to branch out when on a camping trip this summer.

Unrelated too pasties. I used to travel for work and did get lot of people asking if I was from Canada, um No but pretty close...
2021 Passport SL 221BH - sold
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #40
Whitewolf

Legger- Shirley likes mustard (the regular yellow stuff) on pretty much everything. From sandwiches to dogs to burgers to pasties. She's pretty much a little mustard queen.

I've been asked at time or two if I was from Canada. Could be the accent or could be the use of the word eh.