Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Woodz71

With all of this rain....

I found I have a very small leak dripping down from the sunroof in the dining area of my fiver... small drip, about 4 seconds between drips. Hoping it’s not leaking down into the roof..

My pa in law told me Flex Seal was the ticket but wanted to get a second opinion from the grizzled rv vets....

Have you guys experienced anything like this?
Help please
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Northofu1

I wouldn't use flex seal.
Look for cracks around it. if you see any, clean and reseal with Dicor self levelling. If the whole seal around it looks bad, pull up old caulking and start fresh, be liberal with it. If you don't see any, look around at other rooftop entry points, like vents or ac. Water will travel to lowest points.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
notanlines

No, FlexSeal is NOT the answer. This is some bogus crapola sold to wide-eyed infomercial people who should be watching Andy Griffith or I love Lucy. Dan told you straight info. Buy the product that was made for your RV. Leave the FlexSeal to John in Michigan for fixing his gutters....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz71 View Post
I found I have a very small leak dripping down from the sunroof in the dining area of my fiver... small drip, about 4 seconds between drips. Hoping it’s not leaking down into the roof..

My pa in law told me Flex Seal was the ticket but wanted to get a second opinion from the grizzled rv vets....

Have you guys experienced anything like this?
Help please
Well could Phil Swift and your pa-in-law be wrong? Methinks Flex Seal is not the ticket to a dry camper. Use the search function and use the word DICOR. There are two kinds; one that is self leveling for the roof and the other non-self level for the vertical surfaces. The self leveling won't set up on trailer side and will run down and make gooey drool marks all over the side of your trailer (I do claim to be an expert on using the wrong product).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Bill-2020

And DON'T use silicone either (oh, let us not go down this road again!). Dicor and only Dicor on that roof!
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
No, FlexSeal is NOT the answer. This is some bogus crapola sold to wide-eyed infomercial people who should be watching Andy Griffith or I love Lucy. Dan told you straight info. Buy the product that was made for your RV. Leave the FlexSeal to John in Michigan for fixing his gutters....
There's three cans of spray flex seal on the gutters and they still leak.... If anyone wants the other can that's sitting in the garage, come get it. I'm done with WalMart's advertising, CVS's advertising and ACE Hardware's advertising. I'm also very, VERY happy that I never sprayed any of that crap on my Cougar !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's three cans of spray flex seal on the gutters and they still leak.... If anyone wants the other can that's sitting in the garage, come get it. I'm done with WalMart's advertising, CVS's advertising and ACE Hardware's advertising. I'm also very, VERY happy that I never sprayed any of that crap on my Cougar !!!!!
But, but, but Camping World has FlexSeal right next to the Dicor shelf!! So it HAS to work, right?!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
dutchmensport

If your roof system is an Alpha system, you don't want to use Dicor either. Use Alpha sealant. Alpha Systems
Old 06-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
But, but, but Camping World has FlexSeal right next to the Dicor shelf!! So it HAS to work, right?!
Every gas station has a gas pump right next to the diesel too.... Put gas in your diesel or diesel in your gas truck....

I get your point, but just because CW has it on the shelf doesn't mean it's worth a hoot for anything other than collecting dust.... CW also has those "infamous 6 pack folding egg cartons" designed not to break your eggs in an ice chest.... Good luck fishing the yellow out of your ice chest for breakfast.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
If your roof system is an Alpha system, you don't want to use Dicor either. Use Alpha sealant. Alpha Systems
Just a bit of history, when Alpha Systems first started producing TPO roof membrane, they didn't have a "sealant division".. They recommended DICOR sealant for their roofs. Once they expanded into the sealant manufacturing business, suddenly DICOR is to be avoided....

Truth is both DICOR and Alpha Systems make TPO roofing membrane and both have sealants that are perfectly safe for use on either brand.

In a similar situation, my Ford truck owner's manual recommends BP diesel products. Does that mean I should avoid Exxon, Shell or Flying J diesel ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Much like Ram (I believe) that "recommends" only Pennzoil (?) for oil changes. Read many things about that upon first reading it. Obviously Pennzoil didn't make the only oil with the compounds needed in the 6.4, just "recommended" for the engine....because, upon review, of the connection of Ram and Pennzoil. Absolutely nothing to do with other motor oils being incompatible. Talked to Ram, Pennzoil and Mobil1 about the connections/ramifications...they are all honored when using the right oil designation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
Woodz71

Ok I get it, NO to Flex Seal on the roof. Thanks guys! I’ll get the Dicor coming to the house! Rain has calmed for a little while so I’ll get up on the roof tomorrow after church and inspect the area.
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Every gas station has a gas pump right next to the diesel too.... Put gas in your diesel or diesel in your gas truck....
For a second, off topic - My first experience driving something larger than a normal street vehicle was driving a 4000 gallon tanker/fire engine that doubled as a full-on rescue vehicle. Almost a Gryhound bus in length. I miss driving that Sutphen. Anyway, we had a Lieutenant who took it out one day and then stopped to refuel before returning to quarters. He pumped over 10 gallons of unleaded fuel into the diesel tank before he realized what he had done.

Ok, back on topic. Good details about the Alpha and Dicor, John. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

The SAE/API specs on oil containers ends the "brand" argument. I remember when WalMart and the like was selling the cans of "green slime" to seal and inflate a flat tire. My not-so-bright BIL thought he could put it in all 4 tires to "prevent" a flat. After about 6 hrs labor and 4 new tire sensors he found out differently.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote