Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
Gbarnes

Air Conditioner Freezing

Late last summer my main AC unit totally failed. It was determined by the dealer it was not reparable and replaced. So far this year I've only been out twice when the AC was needed:

First trip: After about a day the air flow was barely coming out. I took the vent down and could see the unit was frozen up.
Second trip: I only ran the AC for about 24 hours, but it functioned perfectly.

I already have an appointment to get it back to the dealer because it is under warranty, but I'm afraid they will just say everything is fine since it will probably be fine while in their shop.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Gbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbarnes View Post
Late last summer my main AC unit totally failed. It was determined by the dealer it was not reparable and replaced. So far this year I've only been out twice when the AC was needed:

First trip: After about a day the air flow was barely coming out. I took the vent down and could see the unit was frozen up.
Second trip: I only ran the AC for about 24 hours, but it functioned perfectly.

I already have an appointment to get it back to the dealer because it is under warranty, but I'm afraid they will just say everything is fine since it will probably be fine while in their shop.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Two things you can do. Run the fan in manual on high speed.

Also check the freeze sensor is installed, it may have fallen out or might not be installed properly.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "freeze sensor" that is inserted into the evaporator coils in the air exchange box. My guess is that when they replaced the A/C, they either didn't insert the freeze sensor or inserted it too high in the coils.

Also, realize that if the A/C fan is set to low speed, it often doesn't move enough air across the coils to push the condensation to the drain pan, it can freeze in the coils, causing what you experienced. So, always run the A/C on high or auto fan speed, especially in areas with high humidity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Roscommon48

just a quick google...https://www.google.com/search?client...Fc+freezing+up

enjoy the reading/videos
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Gbarnes

Thanks for your help? Is the freeze sensor just inserted into the coil? Is it as simple as something clipped on/inserted into the coil?
Gbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbarnes View Post
Thanks for your help? Is the freeze sensor just inserted into the coil? Is it as simple as something clipped on/inserted into the coil?
Freeze sensor is like a pointed fat needle that is inserted in the coils between the fins.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:43 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Probably not the OP"s issue but I'll throw this out for others with a coil freeze issue. Some other causes are:

excessively dirty filter, the foam filter in the return air grill can easily get clogged in dusty campgrounds. This reduces airflow and subsequent freeze up. Same with a duct restriction, if air can't get out quick enough the resulting low airflow can cause a freeze up.

leaving the door open. The unit cannot cool off your entire campsite.

Too much humidity. If a family of 5 are bathing inside and momma's boiling spaghetti without a vent open and a fan blowing the moisture out the air conditioner can't handle that much moisture.

Setting the t'stat very low. Some folks (like my DW) don't understand that setting the t'stat well beyond the desired temp does NOT make it cool or heat any faster. If you set the temp to 60 and walk away to "let it cool down" for an extended time you'll most likely return to a cold, quiet, meat locker environment.

Improper install of the unit. If the divider between intake and output sides of the unit isn't installed or sealed properly than the cold air exiting the unit get's sucked back in and cooled again (a circular path or "loop in the exchanged air". The room temp is never tempered but the AC is very cold.

improper refrigerant charge. A low charge can cause the coils to freeze. The "freeze sensor" should shut the unit off if it's properly installed.

Hope this helps someone with "the same problem" have other directions to look after they find the freeze sensor is in place.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner