Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #41
travelin texans

IMHO, if it has an ice maker USE IT, whether it's a RV or residential fridge.
Our Norcold 12 cf had an ice maker that made 7 half moon cubes at a time & once we let it partially fill the tray it would keep up with our daily usage unless we had several friends over drinking (you can fill in what you think we may have been drinking), but overnight would catch back up. Would definitely get & use the ice maker.
One disclaimer, we did have a RV water softener, with a sediment filter before it & a charcoal filter after it, that was used at every stop, which I would also recommend, made crystal clear ice cubes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #42
SR71 Jet Mech

Hey Danny,
Over the years we just haven’t used the fresh water tank for “drinking”. Even though I clean and disinfect the crap out of the tank, I don’t trust it. Just my preference. Nothing wrong with the ice maker or fridge. Guess I should have made that a little more clear earlier.
All the years we tent camped we just got used to carrying a 5 gal. drink cooler and bottled water.
Then our first RV was a used TT and the fresh tank always stunk. All the bleach and peroxide in the world wouldn’t make it any better so here we are. New 5er and old habits.....

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #43
jimborokz

We are on our third year with the residential fridge and would not consider going back to the rv model. Love the ice maker that makes ice twice as fast as our Amana at home. Dealer only put in one battery and now admits he probably should have given us two but this single 27 has done the job although I doubt I could get more than 8 hours out of it. We have only overnighted once at a Walmart and it made it through. We are always on shore power or traveling and connected to tv.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #44
gearhead

We don't drink from the freshwater tank either. I sanitize it spring and fall. Maybe brush our teeth with it. But the ice maker is hooked up to the water supply to the sink. So if we are "boondocking" (rarely) the ice is coming from the tank.
Will 80 proof bourbon sanitize bad ice? 100 proof???
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #45
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
Hey Danny,
Over the years we just haven’t used the fresh water tank for “drinking”. Even though I clean and disinfect the crap out of the tank, I don’t trust it. Just my preference. Nothing wrong with the ice maker or fridge. Guess I should have made that a little more clear earlier.
All the years we tent camped we just got used to carrying a 5 gal. drink cooler and bottled water.
Then our first RV was a used TT and the fresh tank always stunk. All the bleach and peroxide in the world wouldn’t make it any better so here we are. New 5er and old habits.....
Used the FW tank twice on our last 5er, the day we bought the RV to test it all out & once the park we were in was shutting the water off the next day for repairs, both times I drained the tank afterwards, we were always connected to a water supply.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #46
Lindat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Ours has a Samsung residential refrigerator and we keep the camper plugged in 24x7x365 unless on the road actually traveling. So far, not a hint of issues with this refrigerator. I didn't know how the ice maker worked when we first purchased the camper. I had trouble getting it started. The buttons are all backwards. I called Samsung and they walked me through getting it turned on. In the tit-for-tat, back and forth phone calls, there was a point where they were willing to send out a service repair person for me. I made sure they knew the refrigerator was inside an RV and they said that was no problem. Fortunately, I got the ice maker working. What appears to be "off" is actually on.

FYI, we keep the camper plugged in at home, and even in 10 below zero weather, the refrigerator did not freeze up, and when the temperature inside the camper reached over 100, it still kept the freezer at -4 and the refrigerator section at +34 consistently. No issues at all (17 months going and going strong).
When setting your refrigerator what did you have to do? I have a 2019 Alpine with a Samsung residential fridge. I have not been able to get the temperature to cool. I also have a fridge/freezer off button, should that be checked?
Lindat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge