Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #21
SDDave

My 06 Ram 2500 hated pulling this trailer , My 3500 ram was better but a Xwind or following a Semi was no fun. The Super duty F 350 in the pic tows it the best but its also heavier than the Rams by 800lbs.

Its 34'6" including hitch, and grossed out at 8klbs and 1100lbs on the hitchbut honestly it was like pulling a parachute, even with the reese sway WD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	22103  
SDDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #22
meaz93*

tschott....you just need to dial that WDH in better. Tongue is high in pic and the truck has squat-lol
I have a 2014 F150 Boost MaxTow/Payload Package/4x4 Off Road Pack...and I tow a 38' 9k dry 2018 Keystone Outback TT.
I have No White Knuckle towing here!
I just got back from towing AZ to San Diego-11.1 mpg>5* 87 p/t tune.
In fact I encountered 2 more fellow F150 EcoBoost brothers in aluminum bodied trucks.
Both pulling around 35'ers....loving their 10 speed transmissions.
I have Loadlifter Ultimate 5000's airbags to level things out & a Hellwig rear sway bar>absolutely love them!
A pic below shows the Platinum Boost pulling a Jayco HT 37'.
You don't have to sell your truck?-lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_181558.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	22104Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_181622.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	22105Click image for larger version

Name:	20190603_083627.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	22106Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_134343.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	22107
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #23
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
tschott....you just need to dial that WDH in better. Tongue is high in pic and the truck has squat-lol
I have a 2014 F150 Boost MaxTow/Payload Package/4x4 Off Road Pack...and I tow a 38' 9k dry 2018 Keystone Outback TT.
I have No White Knuckle towing here!
I just got back from towing AZ to San Diego-11.1 mpg>5* 87 p/t tune.
In fact I encountered 2 more fellow F150 EcoBoost brothers in aluminum bodied trucks.
Both pulling around 35'ers....loving their 10 speed transmissions.
I have Loadlifter Ultimate 5000's airbags to level things out & a Hellwig rear sway bar>absolutely love them!
A pic below shows the Platinum Boost pulling a Jayco HT 37'.
You don't have to sell your truck?-lol

Attachment 22104Attachment 22105Attachment 22106Attachment 22107

Nice trailer, in-laws have one. If I’m not mistaken, that’s is one of the few trailers that boast a “true” 1000k empty tongue weight. It was really designed correctly. Let me walk over and look. Camping next to them as we speak
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #24
Fishsizzle

Yes 1075 tongue. I really believe that a vast majority do not put the engineering into the TRAILER that the truck manufacturers do their trucks. It’s not all about light weight, but where that weight is on the trailer in relation to how much you put on the truck.

Pop in-law loves his outback. It pulls much better than the 06 stick built Sandpiper we pull around.

But I’m getting off topic.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #25
meaz93*

It actually pulls WAY better than my old 2010 7k dry 33' Keystone Springdale (squared off brick).
I believe that the E rated trailer tires make a big difference on stability and ride.
Absolutely love this trailer....in fact it's soooo good a person doesn't want to get out of the trailer when camping!!-lolClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190507-163403_Chrome.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	22108
Old 06-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #26
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
It actually pulls WAY better than my old 2010 7k dry 33' Keystone Springdale (squared off brick).
I believe that the E rated trailer tires make a big difference on stability and ride.
Absolutely love this trailer....in fact it's soooo good a person doesn't want to get out of the trailer when camping!!-lolAttachment 22108
Agree, it is a very nice trailer.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #27
tschott

I have been reading the replies to this and I thank you all. I know I could add air bags and it might be better but, I really don't want problems. I even had one person tell me to put sand bags in the back of the truck.. ????? No, I have already talked to my local salesman and he said they would work with me in getting a better fit of a truck.
The new question is.... I have always been a Chevy guy, I got this F150 and Loved it. (I know, it blew me away also!) The local Ford dealership has a 2017 Chev. 2500 HD that I wish they had 6 months ago. The salesman is really trying to push a Ram on me but I know the F250/F350 is a strong choice.
What are the feeling on people that have my size camper? What should I be looking at?
tschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
jsb5717

Tough call. The 3/4 ton should git-r-done but if you're looking at the used market you can often get a 1 ton for about the same money. Go big or go home?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #29
FlyingAroundRV

If you're considering buying a used truck, my advice would be "make haste slowly".
Do your research carefully. There are a lot of trucks out there with design and engineering faults. Look into the stories about some of the Ford diesels and the "bulletproofing" industry that has grown up around that engine alone. The Chevs are no better for design faults. Look at the rusting brake lines etc. There are good trucks available as a lot of the design faults were rectified in subsequent models.
Do LOTS of research. Look at carcomplaints.com to see what major faults a prospective truck might show. Get on truck specific forums and ask questions there too.
Early on in my research, I decided on a Ford truck and asked a lot of questions on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums. That's where I learned about the Triton engines tendency to spit spark plugs and why that happens and what owners are doing about it. I also learned there that the newer 6.2L engine is much more reliable in terms of lack of design faults.
Do LOTS of research. Then go online on the carsguru website and look at prices for what you think you might like. Then look at places where there are a lot of trucks available (mostly Dallas and Atlanta) and maybe even be prepared to travel interstate to get a good one.
When we bought our truck, I could only do all this online as I live in Australia and only visit the US 3 months of the year. We lobbed into Dallas with a list of 16 trucks I wanted to look at. In the end we found a really great truck at a good price and it was the RIGHT truck for our trailer.
Did I mention, do LOTS of research?
Take your time and hasten slowly and you'll get it right.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #30
meaz93*

No you didn't just say Che....lolClick image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-18%2016.40.56.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	22120
Old 06-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #31
Retired Copper

tschott 3\4 or 1 ton , gas or diesel will handle the trailer. Check the yellow payload sticker and make sure you can carry the family and stuff in the truck. Most diesel 3/4 tons you have to watch the payload sticker. If diesel me personally would look at the 1 ton. What to get well each to his own, I have own in the neighborhood of 12 different trucks from nissian to Chevy. I am kind of bias in the 3/4 to one ton trucks so I want recommend one. I can say that I really like the truck I have now better than any in the past.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #32
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
tschott 3\4 or 1 ton , gas or diesel will handle the trailer. Check the yellow payload sticker and make sure you can carry the family and stuff in the truck. Most diesel 3/4 tons you have to watch the payload sticker. If diesel me personally would look at the 1 ton. What to get well each to his own, I have own in the neighborhood of 12 different trucks from nissian to Chevy. I am kind of bias in the 3/4 to one ton trucks so I want recommend one. I can say that I really like the truck I have now better than any in the past.
^^This.

If you are going diesel, I woudn't look at a 3/4 ton. Payload is ~2300 lbs, so not much better than my 2015 Sierra 1500 (with GM trailering package).

I like my truck and it tows my 8200 lb Cougar well, but looking to go bigger so looking at the upcoming 2020 GM trucks,

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
^^This.

If you are going diesel, I woudn't look at a 3/4 ton. Payload is ~2300 lbs, so not much better than my 2015 Sierra 1500 (with GM trailering package).

I like my truck and it tows my 8200 lb Cougar well, but looking to go bigger so looking at the upcoming 2020 GM trucks,
^^^ Agree

When I was researching trucks, one of the things that surprised me was that diesel and 4WD trucks generally have lower payload figures than their 2WD and gas brothers (sisters?). It seemed counter intuitive at first. But the lowered payload figures directly relate to the extra weight in the running gear of those trucks. They're no doubt stronger trucks and in the case of 4WDs more capable in adverse conditions, but for us it was a standard 2WD F250 gasser. I have zero intentions of taking my trailer anywhere I might possibly need 4WD. In fact I have the same level of intent to drive just the truck in any conditions like that. I wouldn't know what I'm doing and all I'd do would be to set myself up for trouble. Besides, if I wanted to go to those places I need a 4WD for, I'd probably be camping in tents rather than an RV.
JMO. YMMV.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 06-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #34
Gegrad

I am inclined to believe maybe he doesn't have his sway hitch set up properly. My trailer is nearly the exact same length as OPs and I have to watch my speed or else I will be going 80 without looking due to the fact that I have ZERO sway. Granted his trailer's GVWR is 1500 lbs more than mine, so that could certainly have something to do with his poor experience, but he shouldn't be having that much sway solely due to length.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #35
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
I am inclined to believe maybe he doesn't have his sway hitch set up properly. My trailer is nearly the exact same length as OPs and I have to watch my speed or else I will be going 80 without looking due to the fact that I have ZERO sway. Granted his trailer's GVWR is 1500 lbs more than mine, so that could certainly have something to do with his poor experience, but he shouldn't be having that much sway solely due to length.
Your axles appear to be farther aft. Go tow his trailer and report back to us how it tows.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #36
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Your axles appear to be farther aft. Go tow his trailer and report back to us how it tows.
That could very well be part of the problem... but there's no need to be a d*ck about it. You can take that attitude and put it you know where.

And I might add that if that is truly the problem a bigger truck might not solve that design flaw. I know someone who custom built his own car hauler. The thing was constructed solid as a rock, but he put the axles too far forward and that thing NEVER towed correctly, even with his one ton DRW. It was a design flaw that was a permanent problem.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #37
Snoking

Quote:
That could very well be part of the problem... but there's no need to be a d*ck about it. You can take that attitude and put it you know where.

And I might add that if that is truly the problem a bigger truck might not solve that design flaw. I know someone who custom built his own car hauler. The thing was constructed solid as a rock, but he put the axles too far forward and that thing NEVER towed correctly, even with his one ton DRW. It was a design flaw that was a permanent problem.
I was just pointing out that similar size trailer may not be built the same or handle the same. Several on this thread have stated their similar size trailers tow fine, much means zip. Chris
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #38
Fishsizzle

Quote:

Correct, I believe that not enough thought has gone into proper weight distribution via axle placement on these long trailers
Old 06-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #39
busterbrown

The more I read/hear about how certain lenghty trailers have issues with sway and others don't offers up evidence that manufacturers attempt to do what they need (axle positions) to lighten up the tongue weights without consideration of the floor plans.

Advertising tongue weights that are 1/2 ton "towable" on heavy GVWR trailers creates a larger field of prospective buyers. Win win for the RV company as they sell their pull behinds to the unsuspecting RV newbie and wait a couple of seasons to see them come back for a more profit-driven 5ver. Who doesn't want a relaxed tow, right?

Glad I found my Hensley as it removed that component completely.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #40
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
The more I read/hear about how certain lenghty trailers have issues with sway and others don't offers up evidence that manufacturers attempt to do what they need (axle positions) to lighten up the tongue weights without consideration of the floor plans.

Advertising tongue weights that are 1/2 ton "towable" on heavy GVWR trailers creates a larger field of prospective buyers. Win win for the RV company as they sell their pull behinds to the unsuspecting RV newbie and wait a couple of seasons to see them come back for a more profit-driven 5ver. Who doesn't want a relaxed tow, right?

Glad I found my Hensley as it removed that component completely.
That would be very disappointing if it is the case. In fact if it is and someone came to grief because of that I would think there would be a case to be made for damages against the trailer manufacturer.

The general thoughts I've heard here and elsewhere is that 10-12% of the trailer's weight should be on the tongue, carried by the TV. I've also read that the axle and tire ratings are designed with this assumption such that the aggregate capacity of the tires and axles is usually less than the all up loaded weight of the trailer, assuming the TV is carrying 10-12% of the weight. I've often wondered how WDHs fit into these calculations as they reflect not only more of the trailer weight onto the front axles of the TV, but also reflect some of the TV's weight back onto the trailer!

Could that be why the RVIA now mandates a 10% margin on tire capacity?
2018 Outback 272UFL