Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #41
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
With a B&W trailer hitch and a Anderson ball mount you basically do not have a trailer hitch in your bed. Takes two minutes to take the Anderson 35lb. hitch out of the bed and pull a pin which then allows you to turn the B&W hitch ball over. Now you have your perfectly flat pickup bed back and it only take a couple minutes.
I don’t understand this comment. With the Goose Box you don’t even have to do that. All you do is pull out, or flip the gooseneck ball.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #42
Don_T

Quote:
With a Anderson you do not need a rota-flex and you will not even know you are towing a 5er. There is absolutely no "chunking, chucking, clunking"
of any kind at all. I assume you have never pulled with a Anderson. Rota-flex are made to absorb or hide the problems with the old heavy hitches that are known for chunking.
No one is saying you need a Roto Flex with the Anderson. He has the Roto Flex and we are telling him it won’t work with the Anderson. That is why Anderson make a work around for the Roto Flex.

Why do people keep reading this as an Anderson bashing thread? It is mearly a matter of the Anderson and Roto flex don’t work well together.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #43
Jerry S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I don’t understand this comment. With the Goose Box you don’t even have to do that. All you do is pull out, or flip the gooseneck ball.
And you are correct, for some reason the Reese Gooseneck whizzed right by. I was thinking more along the lines of the old Demco's and Pro series type hitches. Which I mistakenly thought someone didn't like because they had to leave it in the bed most of the time. Sorry for the confusion. The Reese Gooseneck air ride coupler does add about another 75lbs of weight to the TV bed weight.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #44
Don_T

Quote:
And you are correct, for some reason the Reese Gooseneck whizzed right by. I was thinking more along the lines of the old Demco's and Pro series type hitches. Which I mistakenly thought someone didn't like because they had to leave it in the bed most of the time. Sorry for the confusion. The Reese Gooseneck air ride coupler does add about another 75lbs of weight to the TV bed weight.
That makes more sense then. The goose Box weighs 90 pounds more than the Roto Flex pin box I had however, the gooseneck ball weighs 190 pounds less than the B&W 5th wheel hitch I also had. For me it was a savings of 100 pounds.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #45
5J's

Quote:
That makes more sense then. The goose Box weighs 90 pounds more than the Roto Flex pin box I had however, the gooseneck ball weighs 190 pounds less than the B&W 5th wheel hitch I also had. For me it was a savings of 100 pounds.
Don_T you are right on target. The weight addition to the pin box is negated by the weight savings in the hitch.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #46
John&Genny

Quote:
First, I don’t think anyone here is picking on the Anderson Ultimate. We are only saying it doesn’t get along with the Roto Flex pin box. This is a known issue otherwise Anderson would’t make a lockout for it. Since you don’t need the lockout you bought, perhaps you can ship it to the OP so he can check to see if it helps his problem?
Don, I never said the lockout kit wasn’t required, all I was pointing out is that there maybe other issues at play here giving him a rough ride besides the absense of the lockout kit itself. If he buys the lockout kit and it solves the problem, that’s great, he’s good to go. But I still have my suspicions

One thing I’ve noticed is some of these darn segmented concrete highway sections they put in on various stretches of highway. I don’t think it would matter what kind of hitch you have, everyone and everything is bouncing down the road.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #47
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Don, I never said the lockout kit wasn’t required, all I was pointing out is that there maybe other issues at play here giving him a rough ride besides the absense of the lockout kit itself. If he buys the lockout kit and it solves the problem, that’s great, he’s good to go. But I still have my suspicions

One thing I’ve noticed is some of these darn segmented concrete highway sections they put in on various stretches of highway. I don’t think it would matter what kind of hitch you have, everyone and everything is bouncing down the road.
I certainly understand what you are saying. The may be other issues but he has to start someplace. My point is that this is a known issue and Anderson is well aware of it and has a fix. The OP is hesitant to buy the fix, so I figured if you don’t need yours, maybe he can use it to fix his problem. Maybe you can even recoup some of the money you spent.

You are right about the roads we have some of the freeways we have are nearly dangerous to drive on. It seems as though every trip we find worse roads.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #48
Don_T

The OP maybe should find a Cat scale and get the whole rig weighed and then go again with jus the truck. Maybe he has a weight distribution issue that the hitch combination is aggravating. It is worth a try if it isn’t too far to a scale.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #49
Javi

I know where I'd put that hitch...
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #50
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I don't have a degree in physics or structural engineering, but I think the issue is the horizontal sliding that Andersen and PullRite don't want. You are good with the pivot. Don't drive to the dealer unless you just want to vent on them. Buy the $40 lock out and git on down the road. I would try to pressure the dealer into buying the lock out kit, since their ignorance has caused you so much grief.
Are you sure the trailer brakes are working OK?

Thanks,

And yes the Brakes are working fine... Not driving there to vent, If I make that trip it will be to take this out of my truck and install the hitch I asked for in the first place. And as I have said if I need lock outs to stop the rotoflex from doing it's job then I will be converting my pinbox to a solid mount. Whats the point? If I wanted a solid connection then I would have bought the cheap pinbox that comes standard on most. The Dealer, Caused this problem and should have known of these issues before shoving them at a customer.

All I can do not is see how it comes out in the wash
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #51
flrtrader

Quote:
The OP maybe should find a Cat scale and get the whole rig weighed and then go again with jus the truck. Maybe he has a weight distribution issue that the hitch combination is aggravating. It is worth a try if it isn’t too far to a scale.
A weight issue?

I don't think thats the problem either. My TV is a 3500 not a 1500/2500 and payload is 3500 and I'm at 2500...

Clunking means something is moving... Period. As I said I really wish I knew someone I trusted to drive my rig around and I'd get in the back and know without a doubt where the movement is taking place. Anyone Close to Dayton wanna take me up on that?

And I am not trashing Andersen, All I am saying is if I wanted a solid connection I would have purchased that. If these shock absorbing pinboxes did no good they would not be in such wide use. I watched endless videos about the Andersen rail mount system and they brag and go on about their product. BUT no where did I see it mentioned it did not work well with pivoting or bag pinboxes. THAT I do blame Andersen for.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #52
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I know where I'd put that hitch...

YES!! I know where it belongs!!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #53
jsm180

You said it "bucking and kicking" in the first post but now you are saying clunking. There is a difference, too little weight on the pin will give a miserable ride. Clunking is something loose. Mount a Gopro in the bed and take it for a drive.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #54
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrtrader View Post
A weight issue?

I don't think thats the problem either. My TV is a 3500 not a 1500/2500 and payload is 3500 and I'm at 2500...

Clunking means something is moving... Period. As I said I really wish I knew someone I trusted to drive my rig around and I'd get in the back and know without a doubt where the movement is taking place. Anyone Close to Dayton wanna take me up on that?

And I am not trashing Andersen, All I am saying is if I wanted a solid connection I would have purchased that. If these shock absorbing pinboxes did no good they would not be in such wide use. I watched endless videos about the Andersen rail mount system and they brag and go on about their product. BUT no where did I see it mentioned it did not work well with pivoting or bag pinboxes. THAT I do blame Andersen for.
I didn’t say weight issue, I said weight DISTRIBUTION issue. Without regard to the tow vehicle, there could be a weight distribution issue in the camper. Too much or too little pin weight can aggravate chucking.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #55
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
You said it "bucking and kicking" in the first post but now you are saying clunking. There is a difference, too little weight on the pin will give a miserable ride. Clunking is something loose. Mount a Gopro in the bed and take it for a drive.
Really?

The backwards and forward movement is bucking and kicking.... What noise might it make when it hits these limits? I have stated the rig was loaded, As well as washer dryer in the front. Gopro? I don't have one. But yes a video camera might be an option if I had one. Then I could post a thread on suggestions on where to mount it.

Ever hear the saying "If ya ain't got nothing good to say"
Old 02-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #56
flrtrader

Ok,...

As sometimes happens in these public forums some turn to the attack mode. I'm done here. Thanks to all who tried to help I really appreciate it.

God Bless
Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #57
Don_T

I am not sure who he thinks is in attack mode. Several people have given him great advice and suggestions and he just argues against all of them.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #58
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Boys....dont make me come in there. Play nice.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #59
flrtrader

Quote:
I am not sure who he thinks is in attack mode. Several people have given him great advice and suggestions and he just argues against all of them.
I am not arguing...

But I can't take everyones advise... there is one maybe two problems. If I have 12 different opinions should I/We not take the one who's is the most probable and go that direction?

And who is on the attack? Might your read the last line in your statement?

In (My Opinion ONLY) It is not a weight distribution issue. Weight distribution would give a porpoising effect in a sense. Not a forward and back. It seems (To Me) you are more concerned with being correct than looking at other opinions and trying to help figure out the problem and fixing it. For this reason there is no reason at all to keep this thread going. I have gotten alot of opinions and it is up to me to move forward and I am doing so.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #60
Don_T

Several of us have suggested it may be one of the following.

Weight distribution

Weight distribution is easy and cheap to check. Take it to a scale and weigh it properly.

Roto Flex pin box

For $40 you can get the lock out kit and install it in a few minutes.

If neither of these work, move on to more serious fixes.

I am not trying to convince you I am the only one with the answers, I don’t know how you get that. These are just suggestions more than one of us have made. They are the least expensive and most likely going to fix your problem. Either way I will Bow out of trying help.
Closed Thread