Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
BradleyScheirer

Gas vs Diesel

I am going to look at Diesel trucks, Dodge,Ford, GMC. Any gas trucks I should look at also, since gas is cheaper now. will they have the same pulling power and gas mileage Towing a 3712 Raptor to big for my 2500HD Chevy Need a truck SOON! Thanks
Brad
BradleyScheirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I think I am safe in saying that almost every member here would advise you to get a diesel. Gasoline may be cheaper but the money you might or might not save in gas/gas mileage would not be worthwhile. Fuel price is only one of many factors to consider. There are just too many benefits of having a diesel to pull your 3712 Raptor - pulling power being only one.
We have just debated, AT GREAT LENGTHS, owners' preferences with regard to make ---- Dodge, Ford, GMC. Please read this thread to get a feel for what the members like or dislike. They all have their reasons for what they have purchased and like. After test driving, self-research, and doing all the other things a prospective owner should do on their own, you too will develop a liking for a particular truck. Buy what you like and what will do the job!
There are also numerous posts and extensive discussion about 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500. Please do a forum search for these posts.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
jerseyphil

Diesels have the torque you need to pull that heavy 5er. Don't even consider a gasser.

Ford, RAM, Chevy.... choose whatever brand you like, but I would highly recommend a 1 ton duelly for that load.

Be safe. Don't underestimate what you need. Pay close attention to fully loaded payload and towing capacity, including your passengers, hitch, and every bit of stuff you'll carry with you. Posted weights from the manufacturer do not include water (if you carry fresh in your tank) and propane.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
THedges

After towing with a 2000 F350 V10 for 11 years I recently bought a 2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax and let me tell you the difference is like night and day! You won't be sorry switching to the diesel.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
BradleyScheirer

Thanks, I was always thinking Diesel all along and we bought a 2007 Dodge 3500 5.9 diesel dualie Can't wait! Now to sell the Chevy
BradleyScheirer is offline   Reply With Quote