Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Slide

Couldn't find the answer in search, so here it is. When connected to shore power is it necessary to ensure that you trailer battery is fully charged or connected to move the slide in/out?

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a warning sticker on most RV slide control panels that says, "WARNING, do not operate slide switch unless a battery is installed". (or words similar to those).

The reason to have a battery installed in the 12 VDC system (per the warning sticker) is to prevent an excessive load on the converter when using "large demand electrical systems" (slide motors, leveling systems, landing gear).

If the battery is "dead" or "significantly discharged" it is putting a "demand on the converter" to recharge it. Adding additional loads to the output of the converter would only increase the potential to overload the converter. Since installing the battery in the circuit is done to decrease the potential to overload, I'd think that having a "dead or discharged battery" in the system would be increasing the potential for excessive load and could result in damage to the converter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
xrated

Very well stated John.....and 100% correct!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Very good, thanks.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
Couldn't find the answer in search, so here it is. When connected to shore power is it necessary to ensure that you trailer battery is fully charged or connected to move the slide in/out?
Something additional to consider in addition to John's excellent advice.....

The slide motors are the heaviest current draw on your 12vdc electrical system of anything in your rig. Running them on a less than fully charged battery without shoreline is a good way to discharge the battery too much. My Cougar has four slides. Running them all in or out uses up a lot of juice. I leave the pigtail plugged into the truck with it running and on high idle and the shoreline disconnected when setting up or knocking down. If I am at home, the batteries are almost always at peak and the rig shorelined so I don't worry about running the slides in or out.

I do admit to having the advantage of a dual battery diesel truck with relay controlled charge line and the high idle option engaged. The 25 amps of juice available on the charge line is comforting, especially running that last slide in or out.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide