Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
JBauern

Refridge propane run time

269RLS Bullet. Fridge model DM2652 I have to take the trailer in for warranty work, and also the A/C wiring recall. The trailer will be in for a week, there about. We reside in the trailer full time, while waiting for our home to be built. We have medicines in the fridge, that require refrigeration. With the fridge running straight propane, and both 20 lb bottles full, will the propane run out in 7-10 days? it wont be opened, just storing the meds while gone.
JBauern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would urge you to find a neighbor or friend to store the drugs for you while you're trailer is in for service. The propane will last for the week, that's not the problem. The battery power is what will cause you issues. Typically the refrigerator flame is no larger than a pilot light on a stove, so it uses very little propane. We go all summer on a 30 pound propane tank. That includes hot water, cooking, grilling and refrigerator use.

The problem you'll face is that the refrigerator requires 12 volt power to operate the control circuits that "manage" the propane flame. Most trailers with a single battery won't last the week before the battery is discharged. Once the battery is "dead" the refrigerator will stop working no matter how much propane is available. And, if there is a way to plug the trailer into 120 volt power, then why even use the propane? Just run the refrigerator on electric power.

You'd be much safer knowing the drugs are in a more reliable storage location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your refer will run 30+ days on a single cylinder provided the battery keeps enough voltage to operate the control board.

I would contact the service dept and advise them you live itvthe unit and it has meds that require refrigeration. We make sure full timers units are plugged in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
JBauern

I called the pharmacy, and they said that the insulin pens we can "last" 28 days with out refrigeration. we will be gone about 7 -8 days, and they said by leaving it in the original Styrofoam shipping container, even with the cooling gel packs at regular temp, and the cooler is outta direct sunlight, they will be ok for the short time we are gone. Thanks.
JBauern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want strangers having access to my medications. Granted, insulin isn't a "highly pilferable drug" but if there's an irresponsible person who might gain access to your trailer while it's at the dealership, there's no telling what they might do (or not do) to your insulin pens. If you do leave them in the trailer, I'd urge you to lock them up somewhere so that you'll know for certain if the container was opened during the time it was in the dealer's possession.

I know things "aren't supposed to happen" but in this day and age, one can never be too careful with things that you're going to inject into your body.... There are some "sick" people in this world, don't trust those you have no knowledge of how they think or act..... Just sayin'

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree. We take great pride in our respect for personal property, just wish all employees dealing with other people's stuff felt that way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Don't Do It!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauern View Post
I called the pharmacy, and they said that the insulin pens we can "last" 28 days with out refrigeration. we will be gone about 7 -8 days, and they said by leaving it in the original Styrofoam shipping container, even with the cooling gel packs at regular temp, and the cooler is outta direct sunlight, they will be ok for the short time we are gone. Thanks.
As a pharmacist I would urge you not to store it in the Styrofoam container it came in as suggested in your trailer. The ambient temperature will climb in the trailer from the sun (you didn't say where you were currently) and will increase the temp in the trailer. It is not uncommon for it to rise to over 100 degrees or more inside the trailer. Eventually the temp inside the cooler will approach this as well. Not good.

I am thinking that the pharmacist you talked to did not understand that and thought it would be at room temperature for a few days, which would be ok. Doing what you are thinking of doing is not and outside of the recommended storage. You would be better keeping it with you wherever you are going to stay. A hotel room, a friends bedroom or anyplace inside would be ok. In the trailer locked up is not. I hope that this helps. Keep in mind, asking people who do not have a trailer for advice is dubious at best. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

To add, I have moved a trailer for service, ambient temp 85 and thermostat inside unit is 99 ( as high as it reads).

Old 07-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
Steve S

I've gone 44 days on one bottle with solar for the board. But my first thoughts are your meds, please don't leave your meds alone if you don't know who's in your trailer.
I'm on anti-cancer meds that have to be in the fridge and if they were stolen I'd be screwed! Be careful is my best advice and listen to the great advice above.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

The temperature in your camper can get like the attic in your home, which can exceed 150 degrees in 100 degree ambient temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I missed this thread I guess.

The OP has not replied back but in the hopes that he will be back to read the above I want to add a comment;

The posts above are 100% accurate. My wife uses the insulin pens as well and yes, they are supposed to stay refrigerated, and yes they will "last" 28 days unrefrigerated, BUT, they are not supposed to get above 78-80 degrees if I recall. Leaving in the RV as you are proposing will definitely compromise the medication from heat alone let alone all of the other things that could happen with them just laying around. My information on the pens came from the manufacturer after we had a shipment sent when we were unaware and we found them on the front porch and I called them directly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane