Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #21
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rturriff7 View Post
Around here is near Edmonton, Alberta. We pay anywhere from 5-10 cents less per litre of diesel. Translation... 18-35 cents less /gallon.
Similar here in central BC.

Another vote for diesel. Better fuel mileage and it is just less stressful towing, knowing you are not at the limit of your rig.

But I haven't towed with the new 1/2 tons. I understand they are a huge improvement over the mid 90's ones I have towed with.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
hankaye

RE-Howdy All;

Just an add-on to my last;

The pulling power of a diesels is why they are used in the BIG trucks as well as their dependability.... they just keep on going.... hundreds of thousands of miles some into the milions.

It takes an avegrage Over the Road Dirver about 7 1/2 years to drive 1,000,000.0 miles. Think about that when you next see an "older" semi going down the road.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #23
KanTC

Welcome to the forum Cathie & Al, and congrats on your new Passport.

Given the fact that you don't yet have a tow vehicle, I'll add my 2 cents --

A 250/2500 series truck will provide more choices (in the future) should you decide to buy a bit heavier travel trailer, or a 5th wheel. If you think there's even a slim possibility for a larger/heavier 5th wheel in your future, then a 350/3500 series truck may be a better choice. Planning ahead would (obviously) be less costly than trading trucks a few years from now.

Also keep in mind that a brand new vehicle will require a "breaking-in period" before you can use it to tow. Our 2006 required 500 miles prior to towing... new truck models may be more/less.

Happy trails to you & yours,

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #24
jq1031

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie&Al View Post
We are purchasing a 2011 Passport 2850RL and need to buy a tv. We are at a loss. 1/2 ton 3/4 ton, diesel, no diesel. We have talked to people til we are blue in the face and I have read and read.
We will be towing all over the U.S. Love the mountains. We do not want to be the little gray haired couple crawling up the mountain passes with a string of 25 cars with irate drives behind us. We would love to think that we could buy the 1/2 ton, but 3 out of 5 people tell us no way. We do not want to be the "sure you can pull it, no problem" people. We want to be "you can no anywhere, no problem" people. But we don't want to over buy. Oh, yea, the trailer weight is 5085lbs with carrying capacity just over 2000lbs.
So, guess I will see what the majority on this great forum thinks.
Well Cathie & Al, your post sure got quite a response, good luck in your decision!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
hankaye

Cathie&Al, Howdy;

You sure got alot of different opinions, alot different reasons of why, to think about...

Let us know what you chose and why please.
Might help someone that is a tad shy about askin'.

Thanks;
hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
cumminsdad08

Hello there,

I pull with a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton, both diesel, 3/4 a dodge with a cummins, 1 ton is my work truck, chevy with a duramax, dual rear wheel. and it tends to pull a little nicer then my dodge does. i am sure the dual helps a lot. but on any rate, i would think that you would be good with any 3/4 or 1 ton, they should get the job done for you just fine. the gas trucks tend to be cheapier in the initial cost, but you spend a little more time on the maintnace shops. they require more stops with less miles between service. the diesels will go a little farther between stops for service, BUT you spend a little more on them when you do stop. it is usually a wash out. diesel's do last a little longer then gas trucks, also a diesel will hold its value even with high miles on it. gas trucks tend to decrese in value as the miles pile on. i paid 23k for mine 3 years ago and put about 40k on it since, and i could drop a sign in it right now and get 20k without even washing it. you couldn't pull that with a gas truck. as far as brand, everyone has there idea on the perfect truck. i personally think that my duramax picks up the pace a little quicker, but tends to drag a little on the torque. my dodge is a standered, so i lose some time in shifting it, but it will go when i tell it to at any speed, in any gear, with any load. once i get her rolling she stops the load everytime no problem so far. i pulled the same loads with a 6.0L chevy gas truck, and it was a dog on the flats, hills, everywhere. i am not putting them down, but when i want to go, i want to go. i was happy to jump into my 1 ton as fast as i could. AND MOST OF ALL, DON'T LITSEN TO THE DEALER ON EVERYTHING. NOT EVERY TRUCK WILL PULL ANYTHING OUT THERE!!!. i have learned to only listen to what they say when they are talking about the warrentys and service, and even that they tend to get wrong. any of the major 3 brands will suit your needs. my dad in law swears by his toyota, but it cost as much as me diesel, to buy and to service. so in my opinon, buy a diesel. the new ones are very quite from stock. Major draw back, is, once you get off the highway, keep your eyes for someplace that sells on road diesel. they tend to be kinda far apart in the hills. i about got burned on that this weekend.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #27
azr405

Very interesting discussion. We had a 29 5th and pulled it with a 6 litre GM. Pulled pretty good however we upgraded to a 327 last month and decided that it was also time to upgrade the truck. Ended up with a 350 Super Duty with the new 6.7 litre diesel. I dont want to say which is the best however the truck we have now is a pleasure to drive and there seems to be lots of power and it just handles the trailer very well. The exhaust brake works great on the downhill. Can hardly wait to head out west to the Rockies and just enjoy the scenary and the new camper and truck. Best of luck in your choices.
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #28
mhs4771

OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. Hauled a smaller TT with several 1/2 ton Chevys with 350 gas engines. Both did the job, BUT at the end of a days travel I was BEAT. Then I went looking for a 3/4 ton Diesel, long box. Couldn't find one, but local dealer had a 1 ton Diesel Dually, over kill I know, but made me a deal I couldn't resist. Boy what a difference towing. Can drive all day and arrive ready to party, the difference is unreal. And as mentioned about going bigger, yep we now have a Montana 5th Wheel and long timing in it. Another thing about going to a Diesel, just about all the major players offer and exhaust brake, which makes decending those long grades much safer.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
wozzukes

We had a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended cab when we bought our first TT (29' Four Winds). It towed fine, but there were some instances where I was worried if we would make it up a steep hill climb and the truck screamed like no other.

We then had a kid and needed to upgrade to a crew cab because car seats just do not fit very well in the smaller back seat of the extended cab. We also knew we wanted to get a bigger trailer at some point so upgrading to a 2500 was a no-brainer, but the question was gas or diesel. DH went back and forth for months trying to decide if it was worth the extra $$$ for the diesel. He finally decided we would go big or go home and we got a 2011 2500HD Duramax. We never did get to tow our old TT with it because before we knew it we were making a deal on a 5ver! Towing that thing is a dream and that exhaust brake is AMAZING! Even me, the know nothing about vehicles wife, can tell the difference as a passenger. You feel much more in control coming down those hills and we are no longer afraid of them or going out of our way to avoid them like some friends of ours who are pulling a 35' Outback with a Tundra.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #30
Cathie&Al

Such good advice we have gotten from everyone. We have decided on the 3/4 ton Chevy or GMC. Now the major problem is finding one in our price range. My husband's eyes are crossed from searching the internet and ear is sore from talking to dealer after dealer. We would like around 50,000 miles or so, but will probably have to go up. I will keep you all posted and really appreciate all your replies. We really put the "cart before the horse" on this deal.
Cathie&Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
jq1031

Quote:
Such good advice we have gotten from everyone. We have decided on the 3/4 ton Chevy or GMC. Now the major problem is finding one in our price range. My husband's eyes are crossed from searching the internet and ear is sore from talking to dealer after dealer. We would like around 50,000 miles or so, but will probably have to go up. I will keep you all posted and really appreciate all your replies. We really put the "cart before the horse" on this deal.
I would suggest autotrader.com. I have found quite a few vehicles over the years on that site. What I've done is locate what I'm looking for, I try to stay within 500 miles of home. I let the internet sales manager at the dealership know that I want to buy that vehicle. If you have a trade, be honest in discribing it & it's condition. Make the deal over the phone, contingent on your & his final inspections upon arrival. Usually a credit card deposit is required. Get the deal in writting via e-mail so there is no misunderstandings. This has worked for me. Good luck!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #32
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Good choice (in my mind). Take a look at http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php if you want an idea of issues. The first Duramax's had issues with injectors (I have one and have not had the issues) and they all seem to have some quirks. But it is the same with all the big three so I'm not trying to scare you off the GM stuff. I think the Allison is as much a reason for buying one as the diesel is. Great tranny.

And don't fuss about the cart before the horse. Seems that most people do that.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #33
Cathie&Al

We have finally made a decision and have found a 2009 3/4 ton diesel chevy ltz that is only a couple thousand more than we wanted to pay, but has all the bells and whistles we are used to. Hard to go back in your comfort level.
I do think my husband is secretly happy about have to get "manly man's truck!
And it is red. A friend once told me trucks are red and tractors are green. )
I thank you all for your help, hints and advice. My husband is reading the diesel site that was suggested.
We really do feel that with the traveling we want to do, we will be lots better off (and safer) with the 3/4 ton. I have read tons (no pun intended) from people on both the 1/2and 3/4, and the 3/4 just made more sense.
Cathie&Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #34
rturriff7

You won't be disappointed. Enjoy the new truck.
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
rturriff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #35
THedges

You are going to love it!!
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #36
cumminsdad08

the new chevy's really run!! Good Luck with it. Not to scare you with it, but check up on the recall stuff. my 2007 had a bunch of them. they were just silly things, IE, shift timing and a dumb sensor of somesort under the drivers seat. nothing that actually really matterd a whole lot.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote