Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
marksiemer

Drain Fresh Water

I just purchased a new travel trailer and filled the fresh water tank. I see that there is a white handle at the bottom that appears to drain it when I am finished. However, I also noticed there are two other hoses, red and blue, do those need to be opened as well to drain fresh water when I am finished with it?
marksiemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

No, those are your hot and cold low point drains

Nothing to do with FWT draining
White one drains FWT
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
marksiemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
No, those are your hot and cold low point drains

Nothing to do with FWT draining
White one drains FWT
Please forgive me, I am still new to this and do not know all of the lingo yet. What is a low point drain? I thought everything drained into wither the grey or black tank?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
canesfan

The red and blue low point drains are used for winterizing. They allow you to drain most of the water from the plumbing system before you add antifreeze to it.

The white drain is to empty your fresh water tank when you need to. You don't need to drain the entire system every time. Might want to if it's going to be sitting idle for awhile. I only drain mine at the end of the season.

Your gray and black tanks are used when you are USING water (e.g. shower, toilet, sink), not when you are draining water.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
fourfourto

Under the water tank should be a drain,its very slow.
the other ones are for winterizing to get h20 out of internal lines before using antifreeze.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
fourfourto

to slow to post canesfan beat me to it

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

The black and gray tanks are associated with waste water, gray for sinks and shower, black for toilet

Low point drains as named is the lowest point for your rigs hot and cold water sources. Like if you want to drain your source water system hot and cold or say get all antifreeze out during dewinterize you would open these to get all out. AGIN lowest point of your rigs water source
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
to slow to post canesfan beat me to it
LOL, not as slow as Paraptor.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Soooo true small phone, bad eyes, etc. . Canesfan LOOK.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksiemer View Post
Please forgive me, I am still new to this and do not know all of the lingo yet. What is a low point drain? I thought everything drained into wither the grey or black tank?
You are correct in that all "drained water" does go into the holding tanks. What about the water that is in the supply lines going to the faucets and toilet?
You might want to google "winterizing" your TT as well as "summerizing". The low point drains are for completely evacuating your hot and cold water lines in preparation for winter storage. Besides emptying your tanks, you will need to "empty" the lines to each faucet, shower, toilet etc. In other words empty all the water from the lines before the drains as part of winterizing your TT. This is important stuff if you live in an area that freezes hard during the winter. Several good you tube videos to explain the process. If you need more help just ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0009.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	12406  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Draining FWT is like watching paint dry, although great time for adult beverages
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Think of a coffee or tea urn. You get the drink from the bottom of the urm (or tank) and if you leave that valve open you will empty the urn (tank). As previously pointed out, this makes draining the water lines easier, just open the drain valve and open the faucet that's the greatest distance away from the tank to allow air to enter.
Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

The FWT doesn't need to be COMPLETELY empty. Think of it as an ice cube tray, as long as there is room for expansion it won't crack.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 AM   #14
marksiemer

Thanks guys. So far everyone has been extremely helpful. So to add to my first question, how long can fresh water sit? Our camp is dry and the trailer will sit there most of the season. I have a 55 gallon drum in the back of my truck that I plan to pump into the fresh water tank each time I camp. Should I drain the FWT after each trip or us it okay to sit for a fee weeks at a time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

This could be helpful.. http://extension.psu.edu/natural-res...ing-or-cooking
From my experiences over the past 40+ years of boating and camping, heat is a huge factor, and of course the quality of the water to begin with. When you have those hot summer days any bacteria will be happy to grow.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
marksiemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This could be helpful.. http://extension.psu.edu/natural-res...ing-or-cooking
From my experiences over the past 40+ years of boating and camping, heat is a huge factor, and of course the quality of the water to begin with. When you have those hot summer days any bacteria will be happy to grow.
Thank you for the link. So, do you typically keep your tanks empty when not in use? Or what is your rule of thumb before emptying the tank and adding fresh?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksiemer View Post
Thanks guys. So far everyone has been extremely helpful. So to add to my first question, how long can fresh water sit? Our camp is dry and the trailer will sit there most of the season. I have a 55 gallon drum in the back of my truck that I plan to pump into the fresh water tank each time I camp. Should I drain the FWT after each trip or us it okay to sit for a fee weeks at a time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

How long will it be sitting? Will you be constantly cycling water through it when you are there? If so, how often is that?

I've drank water from stock tanks, stock ponds, horse/cow troughs etc. most of my life. Granted, the older I've gotten the more I think about it. What I'm getting at is that water is pretty "forgiving" for lack of a better term unless we just put something in it that will hurt you....or let it grow, hence the question about the frequency of cycling the water.

If you are at the trailer and using water frequently every 2-3 weeks IMO you would be fine. I've let mine sit a month with no ill effects. I do sanitize the water system each year. I don't know that I would want it to sit some place for months without draining it......you just can't see what's going on in there
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Draining FWT is like watching paint dry, although great time for adult beverages

LOLOL

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #19
edward

Look for the tube with the petcock on the drain. Removing it would let it drain faster.
The drain just behind the rear axle near the center of the trailer. Put a plastic ball valve might make things easier. Be sure only to twist the cap. In my case the entire pipe was turning and had to unscrew it, only to find that it was a threaded. I got the pipe removed and screwed in a plastic valve. Professional plumbers toronto might help you in this matter.
edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #20
gearhead

I've drank Falstaff beer but I don't drink RV tank water.
Bourbon or bottled water.
Actually you would be ok if the water you are hauling and refilling with is municipal water with some chlorine in it. Just drain it and the end of the season.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water