Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #21
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Ohms law states Volts X Amps = Watts therefore if you have a 30 amp connection you will have 3,600 Watts available. Supply more watts is good, less and you obviously limit the number of available appliances that can be used. How you get that 3,600 + watts is a complex formula on how much you want to spend, how often you will use it, how valuable your hearing is (running decibel levels).

Whether the discussion is camping or "whole-house" backup, generators are almost never sized the same as the utility service connection. When on generator, it is universally accepted that you have to manage electrical usage.

I have a 50 amp camper, however I certainly am not going to buy a generator (or parallel multiple generators) for 12,000 watts.

In the context of camping, generators are normally used to recharge batteries but are sometimes used for more/bigger things. Usage is "generally " for a limited time. The camper is not expecting the whole rig to be running off of the genny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #22
rickhz

It seems that a ton of people run portable generators for their 5th wheel campers.

What do you do to keep them from being stolen?

How about rain? From what I understand they are not all weather rated. I can't imagine being without A/C during a hot, muggy rain storm.

From what I've been seeing on various forums it appears that permanent mount generators are outnumbered by the portables, but the issues are what have kept me from purchasing anything so far.
rickhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
nellie1289

I have a nice cable lock for mine. I loop it around the frame axle or landing gear. And when it rains there is plenty of room just underneath the rear end to set it out of the weather. With the exhaust pointed away. Some people say watch out for carbon monoxide but I can tell you it's no different than a permanent generator with a exhaust pipe out the back.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:19 AM   #24
NorskeBob

2000W Honda and 4000W Yamaha – large cable/lock attached to front leg.

Rain – Honda and Yamaha - put it under the front of the fifth wheel.

Most of the time we camp where there is at least 30 amp service – state parks and RV parks. We only boon dock when I go to the race track (Watkins Glen – 6 hour and Vintage races)

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #25
mfifield01

I have put a large umbrella over a generator and ran it in the rain.

I typically lock mine to a tree.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #26
mikeymac

If i were you i would get the model number of your AC and get the recommended minimum wattage suggested by your AC manufacturer. If it is a Dometic i have attached what they sent me. I have a 3400W champion and it will not start my AC all the time in my Passport 2670BH. They have listed 3500W minimum generator size. I will be buying the 3100W Champion and running parallel with my 3400W. Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	12459
mikeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #27
Olsen29

Please watch this.
Bigger generator is always better.
Dometic actually recommends these on marine units.
https://youtu.be/p2K0ptvYb6Q
https://youtu.be/IXyRPKpPih8

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #28
Bumala

I installed a micro air easy start in my 15k on my Laredo 23 RB. It runs quite well on my 2k generator. The nice thing is that the 2k generator only weighs 48 lbs.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #29
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymac View Post
I have a 3400W champion and it will not start my AC all the time in my Passport 2670BH. They have listed 3500W minimum generator size. I will be buying the 3100W Champion and running parallel with my 3400W. Good luck.
I have the 3500 champion and it will start our AC with the fridge and battery charger running. I'd be shocked if the 3400 wouldn't start it. Have you dumped all the other electrical loads including the fridge and hot water?
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #30
Chetdgillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I agree and have the same generator running my 15k A/C. Once the converter has charged the batteries up, I can run it in ECO mode during A/C startup.
Am i doing something wrong ????

I purchased a champion 3100w used. It still had its tags on it. I hooked it up to my brother in laws camper for a test run..... not happy. With ONLY the 13.5k AC unit on it lasted less that 1 min before the over load light started blinking. Should have bought a Honda ... not happy 😔
Chetdgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #31
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumala View Post
I installed a micro air easy start in my 15k on my Laredo 23 RB. It runs quite well on my 2k generator. The nice thing is that the 2k generator only weighs 48 lbs.
Yep, same here, tested the 15k on a Honda and a Kipor. Both ran in the Eco mode.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #32
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetdgillespie View Post

I purchased a champion 3100w used. It still had its tags on it. I hooked it up to my brother in laws camper for a test run..... not happy. With ONLY the 13.5k AC unit on it lasted less that 1 min before the over load light started blinking. Should have bought a Honda ... not happy 😔
Did you flip the breaker on the converter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #33
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetdgillespie View Post

Maybe there is something wrong with the generator, or there might have been another load?

I can run my 15K BTU AC, no problem + the converter and the both fridges.

I always start the generator, with all the 120V breakers off and let the generator stabilize, before flipping the AC breaker on... let that stabilize and then flip the rest of the breakers on one at a time.

You cannot run the AC and any other high current load (water heater, coffee pot, blow dryer, etc) at the same time.

If you have an EMS system, it will tell you how much current you are pulling from shore power or generator.

-Brian
Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #34
Chetdgillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Maybe there is something wrong with the generator, or there might have been another load?

I can run my 15K BTU AC, no problem + the converter and the both fridges.

I always start the generator, with all the 120V breakers off and let the generator stabilize, before flipping the AC breaker on... let that stabilize and then flip the rest of the breakers on one at a time.

You cannot run the AC and any other high current load (water heater, coffee pot, blow dryer, etc) at the same time.

If you have an EMS system, it will tell you how much current you are pulling from shore power or generator.

-Brian

No there wasn't anything like that running. But I did find the problem! When I purchased the generator the guy said it had new oil and gas in it, I took his word. So after I made this post I went out and checked it. (Which I should have done before I purchased it &#128563 when I opened the cap oil went everywhere! He must have had it tipped on its side and filled it ! Put the proper oil in and it hasn't missed a beat! Thanks for the reply
Chetdgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator