Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

Slightly off topic but, shows a point about gun laws. What Chuck referred to in post #9 is HR 218. It says I as retired from full time police work can carry a concealed gun in any state. A state may not allow anyone to have a gun with 17 round magazine. Lets say I am carrying that gun with 17 rounds. Unless that state says LEO can disregard that law. That state will say that also means me. I would be subject to arrest. Those cases have come up thru some courts. I looked up case law regarding HR 218 and found retired police that where arrested have had their cases all over ruled. But, will that always happen, unlikely.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #22
the sodfather

I have had my CCL since the state passed the legal to carry permit. I do not open carry but if you see me, I'm carrying. I have taken many classes in self defense and firearms training. I've shot competivly in IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, steel challenge etc. for years. Wherever we drive or drag the trailer, there will be a firearm, or two, or three...you get the picture. Gotta go, I've got some reloading to do...
Old 01-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #23
hankpage
Site Team

Keeping it on topic!!!

Okay gang, let's try to keep it on topic .... "Carrying guns in our RV".
Although I agree with most of what has been said, we seem to be getting off on to political and social areas that do not relate to RVs and do not belong on this forum.

Tbos, If you do decide to travel with firearms, be sure to check with each state you go through. Do not rely on lists posted by third parties. In many states concealed carry means on your person and not somewhere in your vehicle. In these cases having a loaded firearm in your tow vehicle is a felony.( in some even unloaded) You may want to install a small safe in the living area of the trailer to secure weapons while you are away from it. You can leave the safe open while at home and locked when you leave. Trigger locks will not stop thieves but a safe may slow them down.
Plan ahead, travel safely and enjoy our great country, Hank
Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #24
Luckybuck55

I have a CWP I always carry! Follow the laws won't have a problem! Trigger locks and ammo locked up you just as well leave it at home! In the south no problem, check the north states a pain in the tail! Better safe than sorry!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:10 AM   #25
byrdr1

Thanks mods for allowing this thread and keeping it on track. NC CCW permit holder and I dont leave home without it. once I am stopped while camping 95% of the time its locked up in a lockbox inside the camper. I traveled half way across the USA this summer twice. I pulled the CCW and general gun laws from every state I traveled in. I read them, studied them and carried the paperwork with me. Every state I traveled was pretty open and shut as far as rules went. I am xLEO, So I am very careful as to what I do with my CCW. But be prepared and trained, know the rules, laws, etc.
Safe travels,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 01-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #26
Barbell

I learned to shoot growing up on a farm and in the Marine Corps. Have had a CCW permit for a number of years. However, since we stay at military RV parks whenever possible and most if not all military bases prohibit firearms possession, we leave the guns at home. I have been required to deposit my gun in the base armory during our stay on a base. Don't think you can hide that gun in your RV; at Charleston AFB as well as others, your entire rig goes thru a metal detector to get on base, and it can determine metal in your RV from metal in your gun. You really do not want to be thrown off the base and have to answer to the US District Court. Also, in many states, a weapon in a moving vehicle must be secured in a separate compartment from the ammo. In other words, don't leave home with the gun loaded.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #27
Javi

I've been carrying firearms since I could keep the barrel off the ground. Times have changed and so have I, but on this I have one rule.... you don't want me to be armed, you don't want my money. I have no problem going elsewhere.

Javi
Old 01-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #28
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Okay gang, let's try to keep it on topic .... "Carrying guns in our RV".
Although I agree with most of what has been said, we seem to be getting off on to political and social areas that do not relate to RVs and do not belong on this forum.

Tbos, If you do decide to travel with firearms, be sure to check with each state you go through. Do not rely on lists posted by third parties. In many states concealed carry means on your person and not somewhere in your vehicle. In these cases having a loaded firearm in your tow vehicle is a felony.( in some even unloaded) You may want to install a small safe in the living area of the trailer to secure weapons while you are away from it. You can leave the safe open while at home and locked when you leave. Trigger locks will not stop thieves but a safe may slow them down.
Plan ahead, travel safely and enjoy our great country, Hank

I find it sad that discussing our basic constitutional rights (and whether those rights are actually honored by our government) are prohibited.

Sad state of affairs for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #29
fourfourto

What about a rifle ?
I was told it can travel with you.?

I always bring along my 1971 Remington nylon 22lr
in a unlocked case with the bullets in a small safe.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
Old 01-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
What about a rifle ?
I was told it can travel with you.?

I always bring along my 1971 Remington nylon 22lr
in a unlocked case with the bullets in a small safe.
I don't know who told you that but like handguns the laws on carrying a rifle, loaded or unloaded, varies from state to state...although much less stringent than handguns. But, like handguns, if you take a weapon of any kind with you while traveling you need to know exactly how the law applies in every state you travel through. Heck, some of them even have laws applying to knives with blades of certain lengths etc. Pull the statutes, it will make your eyes water....
Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #31
Desert185

Like Gearhead, I find www.handgunlaw.us to be the most up to date, reliable info for traveling state to state.

I have both a NV and UT CCW that allows concealed carry in a number of states. I feel the best use of a firearm for protection of you, yours and others is to carry it concealed on your person (where legal, of course). Imagine stopping at a rest stop, needing it and having it locked and unloaded in your RV. That may be safe, but safe for who?

Practical "RV carry" requires thought, training, practice, proficiency and research so that you can meet your own thoughts and limitations on the subject should a situation arise that requires the legal use of a firearm.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #32
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I find it sad that discussing our basic constitutional rights (and whether those rights are actually honored by our government) are prohibited.

This is what our rules try to avoid. The one thing our members all agree on is the love of RVing, so this is what we try to focus on here. I belong to firearm, CC and hunting forums and express my related feelings on them. No one is trying to prohibit your rights ..... just pointing out that this is not the place to discuss things unrelated to RVing. I truly hope you can understand this, Hank
Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post

I'm going to "jump in here" and state my view on this topic (with full understanding that it may or may not represent the views of the forum owner or other members of the forum staff).

We all have "basic constitutional rights" however the forum consists primarily of citizens from two countries, the US and Canada. So, whose "basic constitutional rights" are we going to consider as "the" guidelines to follow? But, that's not really the topic being discussed.

The "bottom line" (in my opinion) boils down to the basic purpose of the forum. This is a forum to discuss topics based around RV/s, Keystone RV's in particular. It is not a forum to discuss "basic constitutional rights" nor is it a forum to discuss "freedom of speech". If you read the TOS for the forum, the very first "agreement" that members must agree to follow is: "1) Any abusive, obscene, insulting, slanderous, hateful, sexually-oriented, and threatening language and any political and religious material."

The purpose of that statement and the requirement to follow it is NOT a limit on the freedom of speech nor is it a "sad limit on discussion of basic constitutional rights". It's simply a rule to keep the discussions within the forum related to the basic purpose of the forum, which is KEYSTONE RV'S. There are a number of places (sites) on the internet where discussing "basic constitutional rights" is appropriate, but this site is not one of them. The purpose of the rule is NOT to "limit free speech" but rather to promote open, honest discussion "related to RV's" while preventing discussions that are controversial, promote arguments and cause hard feelings...

When this thread first opened, I was (still am) concerned that it would be easily "derailed" from the topic, "RV's and Guns" and turn toward "politics and personal opinions"..... It seems that it has, and needs to either get back on track (without personal opinions about basic constitutional rights) or it needs to be continued on a forum (or other internet site) that invites discussion of the topic. This forum is not the appropriate place to continue any discussion that is not "RV RELATED".....

Thanks for your time to read this, for your understanding and hopefully, for your cooperation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #34
mikell

You never know what the varmint outside has in mind be it 2 legged or 4.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #35
notanlines

I was enjoying the discussion of carrying a firearm in or while RV'ing, and actually things went along pretty well overall. I think we only had one dissenter more or less and the rest centered around whether to bring them along or not, or what the rules might be. I thought I might have half a handle on this, but I did learn that Minnesota doesn't recognize the PTC from Tennessee anymore for some unknown reason. I believe most of us learned that taking your RV onto any military institution to camp would not be a good idea if armed. I also learned that most state laws change about every ten minutes or so. And most important, I learned I'm not going to sneak onto Javi's back porch and mooch any beer from the cooler.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #36
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm going to "jump in here" and state my view on this topic (with full understanding that it may or may not represent the views of the forum owner or other members of the forum staff).

We all have "basic constitutional rights" however the forum consists primarily of citizens from two countries, the US and Canada. So, whose "basic constitutional rights" are we going to consider as "the" guidelines to follow? But, that's not really the topic being discussed.

The "bottom line" (in my opinion) boils down to the basic purpose of the forum. This is a forum to discuss topics based around RV/s, Keystone RV's in particular. It is not a forum to discuss "basic constitutional rights" nor is it a forum to discuss "freedom of speech". If you read the TOS for the forum, the very first "agreement" that members must agree to follow is: "1) Any abusive, obscene, insulting, slanderous, hateful, sexually-oriented, and threatening language and any political and religious material."

The purpose of that statement and the requirement to follow it is NOT a limit on the freedom of speech nor is it a "sad limit on discussion of basic constitutional rights". It's simply a rule to keep the discussions within the forum related to the basic purpose of the forum, which is KEYSTONE RV'S. There are a number of places (sites) on the internet where discussing "basic constitutional rights" is appropriate, but this site is not one of them. The purpose of the rule is NOT to "limit free speech" but rather to promote open, honest discussion "related to RV's" while preventing discussions that are controversial, promote arguments and cause hard feelings...

When this thread first opened, I was (still am) concerned that it would be easily "derailed" from the topic, "RV's and Guns" and turn toward "politics and personal opinions"..... It seems that it has, and needs to either get back on track (without personal opinions about basic constitutional rights) or it needs to be continued on a forum (or other internet site) that invites discussion of the topic. This forum is not the appropriate place to continue any discussion that is not "RV RELATED".....

Thanks for your time to read this, for your understanding and hopefully, for your cooperation.

So anything not related to RV's is off limits... say all the dog, tool, kids, etc., etc., etc. threads? Of course not. This is just another side-related thing.

Btw, I never said this was a restriction of freedom of speech. Not sure why you even brought that up. I simply said it was sad that we can't discuss our basic constitutional rights. Of course I am sure if it was any other amendment, the topic would be allowed.

RV'ing represents freedom. Why so restrictive? Are RV'ers so delicate they can tolerate discussion?

More PC out of control I believe.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

I think the discussion has been productive. I also think the forum has good rules on the discussion of these kinds of things. Being a member of other forums pertaining to firearms I can assure you a conversation about the 2nd amendment, Constitutional rights etc. can go sideways in a heartbeat leaving some with a bad taste in their mouth or just mad. That's not what an RV forum is for to me. I want to discuss all aspects of Rving, and the OP brought up a very good, appropriate question, but trying to keep the conversation on how guns relate to RVs, and not just guns in general is a good decision IMO.

And yes, I think you probably give Javi a call before you "sneak" onto the back porch and mooch his beer!!! LOL
Old 01-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #38
Javi

Okay, I want to get this in before the thread gets whacked...

Given the makeup of this forum it is just not possible to definitively answer the original poster's question without the answers exhibiting personal opinions and convictions... Then throw in the fact that many are from various providences of Canada and this can be a huge can of worms...

Anyone with a question about carrying firearms or other forms of weapons would be best served to contact legal advice from the state or providence that you wish to travel in or through.

One last point... even if you get legal advice concerning a particular state's laws, individual municipalities (even among large metro areas) can vary greatly on this subject.

Then in the U.S.A. the federal government can have laws that are contrary to the state laws. Such as in Texas where it is legal to carry in state parks if licensed but a few state parks are on land leased from the fed's and in those it is illegal to carry even if licensed.

Lastly... privately owned campgrounds and resorts can impose their own rules on this subject...

And.... if you knock on the door, I will gladly share the beer....
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #39
Ken / Claudia

Last night I posted #19. I contacted a friend who is still OSP and read thru some fed rulings. I had been wrong on a fact and changed it to show correct information. While checking facts. I read on a web site that they had done a poll on firearms in RVs. That poll showed 40% of those asked carry a firearm while traveling either part time or always. Nothing about the type or legally or not, just do they have a firearm in the RV. For me that is a higher number than I thought.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #40
Tbos

As the OP, I appreciate all the ideas and viewpoints. I was a little worried when I posted this question but needed to find out from those with more experience and knowledge than I have. I have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread