Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
Justus2

Alpine - 12V lights affect TV signal

I'm frustrated and need to ask if anyone has advice for me.

First, RV is parked permanently at a campground in Minnesota.

We have a 2014 Alpine (3010) and every time we turn on one of the 12V overhead lights it directly impacts the TV signal for both upstairs & downstairs TV's.

It wasn't always like this - first year we could turn on all the lights and have all the TV's on at the same time, no issues. Then we disconnected the TV's and brought them home for the winter. It was year 2 this all started. Did something get screwed up when we did that?

I can't do anything that requires lights if someone is trying to watch TV, please help.
Justus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, here's an explanation of what is happening: The LED lights have an electronic "voltage regulator" built into the chip. That regulator causes interference in a "harmonic frequency" of the same frequency as the TV frequency band. So, when you turn on the lights, the "inner electronics" of the light emit a RF source that is picked up by the TV wiring/TV antenna and causes either distortion or signal interference in the televisions.

Now, the question is "why"???? Apparently, since your TV's worked properly the first year and they don't work now, the only thing that you've described as "changed" is that you "manipulated" the TV connections. So, I'd guess that you've "bent and twisted" the wiring that connects your TV's to the wall outlets. On co-ax connectors, there is a "shield wrapping" inside the outer insulation that is supposed to prevent "stray RF energy" from being picked up by the co-ax. Your RV wiring is all "interconnected" so any one of those connectors that was "damaged by twisting" could be the source of your interference.

If it were me, I'd buy one new co-ax cable, being very careful not to bend it near the ends, I'd remove the cable closest to the Winegard TV amplifier and replace it with the new one. Turn on the lights and see if the problem still exists. If it does, then install the cable you just removed with the other TV cable.

Keep in mind that any cable connector you "handled" last year could be the one that was damaged when you removed the TV's or when you reinstalled the TV's.

My guess is that you "broke" one of the co-ax shields when you were working with the cables. No, it's probably not anything you did "wrong", the cable ends are "notorious" for not being durable, especially on the "cheap cables" used by RV manufacturers.

If the above doesn't fix your problem, then you likely have a "bad regulator circuit" in one of your LED lights. Which one? The only way I know how to find it is to turn off each light, one at a time, until the problem resolves. The light that is "turned off" and the TV starts working is the one with the bad regulator. All bets are off, if you have two lights with bad regulators..... It can become a "troubleshooting nightmare" but the problem is either your TV co-ax cables or the voltage regulator circuit in your LED lights.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your eliminating LED fixtures, just turn them all OFF, and then turn them on one at a time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
Justus2

Thank you for your advice! We purchased 2 new coax cables, installed them and the lights & tv can now be on at the same time.
Justus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
Mike484

When we were changing out our stock lights for LED, we had that happen.

I purchased the 12 volt LED bulbs and installed them, no problem.

Then I read on here that the multi-voltage ones were better. So I purchased some of them and as soon as I installed one, BAM, interference with the TV. I took them out and just used the 12 volt only ones and have had no issues at all.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Foodgod1

We have a 2017 310re High Country. Have had this issue from day one! Happens when lights are turned on, A/C, microwave, etc. I've run new coax to no avail. It's happened at 3 different campgrounds so I know the issue is not mine. Took the 5er back to the dealership today and told them to find the problem and fix it. I think there's a bad ground somewhere. But that's just my thinking....frustrated!
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote