Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
sjturbo

Which Dicor Product?

I posted this on Woodalls because the Keystone site was down. But I thought I might hear from some here since mine is a Laredo. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found a few areas that need attention on my slide today. First, where the aluminum edging meets the (rubber?)roof needs resealing. I had tried the Dicor self-leveling but it was not apparently what was used originally because it rubbed off on the rubber seals when the slide went in and out. The original appears to be some type of white flexible caulk. Could DAP Butyl be used? I assume using silicone is not an option? Secondly, where the corners meet there is a gap and leak area. As well, where the alum meets the fiberglass side of the slide the standard butyl tape is sandwiched between then covered with what appears to be silicone. Lastly can I clean these areas with Acetone? So some help would be greatly appreciated.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

For the roof and aluminum edging, I would use: Dicor non-sag sealant (not the self-leveling) OR Sikaflex OR Geocel Pro Flex. All of these products are compatible with EPDM and are non-silicone based. They all can be used pretty much anywhere on the RV and are much better than silicone. As for silicone, I would not recommend using it - period. It won't adhere to previously applied silicone, is a real nuisance to remove when recaulking and should not be applied to your rubber roof. For the "flat" areas on the roof - vents, skylights, etc. - use Dicor Self-Leveling.

Butyl tape comes in both white and gray so what you see (the white flexible caulk) may indeed be white butyl tape caulking.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Dicor Self Leveling caulk is intended for horizontal surfaces like the roof. It is not intended to be in contact with other materials except the dicor and roof items that it sits on top of such as the roof vents, etc. Basically, you have to think of it as gooey paint when considering where to use it. It does not cure as quickly as other types of caulk and takes a long time (weeks) to develop a skin that is not sticky. So even if you used it several weeks ago as you describe, it would still transfer to any surface that contacts it like your slide seals. You want to make sure you use one of the caulks that Festus recommended. The instructions on the tube should tell how quickly you can expect the caulk to form a dry skin plus full curing time.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
sjturbo

Thanks! I'm not sure if I have EPDM but maybe their formulation has changed but Geocel does not recommend their Pro Flex for EPDM or TPO applications. However it sounds good for the side wall application. The Dicor sounds like the ticket for the EPDM to aluminum application! Thanks for the info on cure times also!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

An EPDM roof is white on one side and black on the other side whereas a TPO roof is white on both sides of the membrane. The TPO roof is "shinier" and it feels a bit smoother and more slippery than the EPDM. Dicor makes a special sealant for the TPO roof ("UltraSealant") - a two part mix of cleaner/prep first and the actual sealant application second.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
bsmith0404

If roof material has a pebble grain finish, it is DiFlex II. Not sure if Keystone is using it on any of the trailers, but is is a Décor roofing material that is available and being used in the industry. According to Décor's website, it is compatible with all of their cleaners, protectants, sealants and adhesives.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote