Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
orvlin

TV hookup for outside

I have a new 2014 Cougar 327 res the TV hookup that in the front storage area next to the electrical plugin doesn't work. I'm i missing something. All the wire are tight,but i don't see that many wires at the amplifier in the front behind the tv.Any help would be great.The rear living area TV and bedroom work fine.
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the booster only has TV2 out, it goes to the bedroom most likely and the compartment line is hooked to it using a splitter.

You probably need to back trace the coax from the compartment, and I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is the coax.

Once you find the splitter, unscrew the coax and look close at the end. Is the signal wire out far enough to make contact? If so then leave it unscrewed and go to the compartment end. Unscrew it and look at the coax end. If all looks good take an Ohm meter and test for continuity from the signal wire to the connector, if there is then the shield had grounded out the signal. The ends can be replaced with the right tool, but you might be cheaper just buying a new coax.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Pmedic4

Which TV cable is which?

I had the same issue with my Cougar, which had 3 coax connectors behind the primary TV. I couldn't tell which connector went to the antenna, which went to the booster installed in the wall in the bedroom, and which went outside to the external connector. I had such terrible reception, well none, from the antenna, I just gave up.

Went and bought a small coax tester, which you hook up to one end of the cable, and then put a little speaker on other other, expected location. It will signal with a tone if you have the right cable. Since it was a $10 buck cost, I would recommend it to anyone questioning their coax connections. Right now, I'm about the point of trying to redo my RV top antenna, because I have nothing from it. Just wondering if I can pull a wire to the roof from the primary TV, without cutting into walls.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
therink

Try removing the antenna booster plate (2 screws) from the wall or ceiling (where ever it is located). Slowly pull it away from the wall. There should be a bees nest of coax in there that you can pull out. In many cases Keystone has a coax splitter hanging loosely inside the wall/ceiling cavity. From here, you should be able to locate and identify all coax cables that run to various coax outlets in the rig. There could be a bad connection here. My current and prior Keystone fifth wheels are/were set up this way.
I found this out when modifying my coax for satellite connectivity.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
orvlin

TV hookup

Thanks for the help, took all the wall plugins out couldn't find the splitter, im sure it in there somewhere.
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
therink

On both of my outback fivers, it was located behind the antenna amp, just had to keep pulling coax and it finally came out. Splitter with about 5 coax feeds going to the antenna, outside cable in connector and 3 different coax outlets.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote