Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
dwayne564

Propane issue On Cougar 289RBH

Hello,

Last trip or two I have taken, when it gets cold, my Propane doesn't get to the rest of the RV. Have changed the Regulator Valve, Marshall Valve, won't show Green on gauge, new gauge showed green once, now red again. worked fine when warm, won't work when cold, Both tanks full, Any thoughts
dwayne564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
GaryWT

Seems weird, have you tried switching out tanks to see if another tank will work.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Try only opening your valve part way in cold weather. Sometimes with too much flow, your regulator will freeze up. If you try your BBQ under the same conditions, you'll get the same results.

Turn it off, let it defrost, or even use a hair drier, then crack the valve part way and try it again. I think you'll find the problem solved.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Steve S

When things won't work in the cold pour about 4 cups of really warm water on the regulator. You'll find that everything works fine and you'll need a heat strip to keep it warm.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
dwayne564

Used a Hot cup of water, worked well on Regulator, but when you turn off the tank, ( I always do at night) when its at home, next morning same thing, but new issue now, seems like the right tank, is not getting gas to the 2 stage regulator, Looked at the tank, and saw there is another regulator on the other one, is that normal, one tank have regulator, and the other just use the standard 2 stage regulator, Do I need the other regulator in the line,

Thanks
dwayne564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #6
Steve S

You should only have one regulator for both tanks and no others as nothing will work properly
Iv'e read about people here hooking up portable BBQ's with an inline regulator and they've never had enough LP. I run a full size BBQ at the back of the trailer and can have everything going in the winter and there's never been a problem
Old 04-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
cw3jason

On a 5th wheel you Will have a high pressure regulator 30 psi on the ODS side and a two stage regulator on the DS side. Totally normal. I had a leak in the 30 psi regulator and had to replace it. Local rv place charged 15.00 for a new one easy cheap fix.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
hankaye

dwayne564, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne564 View Post
Used a Hot cup of water, worked well on Regulator, but when you turn off the tank, ( I always do at night) when its at home, next morning same thing, but new issue now, seems like the right tank, is not getting gas to the 2 stage regulator, Looked at the tank, and saw there is another regulator on the other one, is that normal, one tank have regulator, and the other just use the standard 2 stage regulator, Do I need the other regulator in the line,

Thanks
How are you opening the tanks valve...
A) Quickly?
or
B) Just crack it then open it all the way slowly?

If A) then you are most lkely causing the internal rapid flow system in
the pigtail to shut the flow off...

If B) then you are doing it the recommended way and shouldn't have
any problems and would suggest further troubleshooting.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #9
Steve S

I'm going to add to what hankaya said about the pressure.
When you switch over from tank to tank make sure that the tank you're switching to is completely off. If it's fully on then that surge will cause you headaches.
I've done that before when I wasn't thinking straight @ 2am and it's not fun when it's freezing out. Lol
Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Comptech

I don't know if this helps, but on my 2012 330RBK, I could never get gas from the drivers side tank to flow. Finally after hours of troubleshooting, I took all the rubber gas lines to a local propane shop. They figured out that when the lines were assembled, they forgot to install some sort of small brass check valve on the drivers side rubber gas line. So that when I turned on the gas from that side it locked out the safety valve on the tank. I think if it detects too much gas flow it shuts off.

Here is the thread....

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16972

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote