Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
jerryc

Cool Raptor or Carbon

Hey Y'all! I'm currently in the market for a new toy hauler. I'm looking at quite a few models but I'm curious to find out what I can about Raptors or Carbons. I found these cool videos about each and they both are informative but I would like to hear from anyone with experience with these specific brands to see what issues to look out for or what makes each one great in your opinion! Thanks!

Carbon

Raptor
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Keep in mind that the Raptor and the Carbon are "basically" both toy haulers and much of the "functional" equipment is the same. However the "level of luxury" is different and is reflected in the price. Things like a 6 gallon vs 12 gallon water heater, 8 CUFT vs 18 CUFT refrigerator, Stainless steel vs black appliances, and the list goes on. You can be fairly well assured that the "functional components" are similar, but the level of "extras" will be reflected in the price.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
raineman

I looked at both before buying the Raptor. Basically look at a Chevy, then look at a Cadillac with the same body. The caddy comes with a few more comfort/luxury items. Same thing here in my opinion.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

x3 If you check www.keystonerv.com you will see that Keystone has their TH's divided into categories, CARBON on the low end and RAPTOR on the high end. Also note that there are various models within each that offer different floor plans and options. Raptor king pin weights are on the heavy side
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
danisr1

I have a Carbon 327 and for the most part its been a good rig. We had an issue with the inverter but other than that its been problem free.

The Raptor is a step or 2 up from the Carbon as far as features, price and weight.

I went with the lower cost Carbon for a few reasons....
1. How we like to camp. We are long weekend in state campers for the most part. The Raptor has more living options ( mentioned above) so if you are going to be living in the RV or vacation for longer periods of time, those things are nice to have, but its something we didn't need.

2. Cost. Not going to lie, Raptors are expensive and I couldn't justify the cost for as much as I would use it.

3. Weight. You are getting into 1 ton DRW territory with a Raptor. They are heavy, and I dont want a Dully.

If I was retired and used the rig a lot, I would go Raptor in a second, they are really nice. But I am still working have 2 kids and for now the Carbon suits my needs. Good Luck in your search.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
BlueknightWI

We have looked at both. And, then we bought an Impact 311. Right in the middle of everything in my opinion. We haven't taken delivery yet, but hope it comes in soon! We are both anxious to get it and get it put into use. I just retired, but my wife is still working. We also will do mostly in state long weekends. But she wanted to be able to bring the Harley along, instead of choosing camping or motorcycling for the weekend. This way we can do both.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
notanlines

We have had the Raptor for awhile and thoroughly enjoy it. That being said, if you go with the Carbon, try to order it with the four door Norcold refrigerator. It is VERY nice having a big fridge when you're away from home. And, yes, both the Raptor and the Carbon are very nice......
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
EricLynnAllison

Make a list of those things you really want and find one that includes those. Don't compromise on those must haves. Mine were the large frig. recliner, and double bunks in a separate room and large living room. We love our Raptor.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
hdrolling

We just setup our Raptor for the first time today, if you go with the raptor you will not be sorry! Almost too much like being home, but I know we made the right decision.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
gtsum2

Similar situation here as I have been going back and forth between Impact, Carbon and Fuzion (looked at Raptors,but too heavy for my 3500 SRW). Aside from floorplan differences and luxury items, they are all pretty much built similar. Not sure if Carbons have 10 or 12 inch frame though? One thing I wanted is 6 pt auto level and that led me to the Fuzion line with the Monster Plus package...hopefully will be picking one up here in the next few weeks! Good luck in your search!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
jjboyz1

I have the Raptor 395 and I love the space and the layout. The carbon according to the sales person is an entire level toy hauler, it's not built to the same standards as the Raptor, look at the weight difference. I tow with a 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 and I have no problems with this sw vehicle. I've towed from Ga to Destin Fl, Maryland, Idaho all without skipping a beat. Like another person said just make sure you get all your gotta haves when you buy. Big investment so dot all you I's and cross your T's before you sign.

2013 Raptor 395 Lev
2013 Ram 2500 Cumins Diesel
2011 Harley Davidson Road Glide Custom
jjboyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
SRFD136

I have a 2013 fuzion 315. I didn't need all the bells and whistles and was bummed when I saw Keystone came out with the Carbon and Impact in 2014. To be honest the BEST feature the Fuzion has is the 6 point leveling system, it is AWESOME! Even though I don't need all the fancy parts I would buy it again just for the leveling system. Another tip I can give is that the trailers weigh about 500lbs more than the weight advertised on-line or in pamphlets. The 315 was advised as 12270lbs and mine weights 13010 empty, no water or fuel.
SRFD136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #13
Major105bc

I went with the carbon 357 because of the floor plan and price. No regrets. They're all nice. Good luck with your decision.
2013 Ultra Classic
2002 Heritage Springer
Major105bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #14
jerryc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Similar situation here as I have been going back and forth between Impact, Carbon and Fuzion (looked at Raptors,but too heavy for my 3500 SRW). Aside from floorplan differences and luxury items, they are all pretty much built similar. Not sure if Carbons have 10 or 12 inch frame though? One thing I wanted is 6 pt auto level and that led me to the Fuzion line with the Monster Plus package...hopefully will be picking one up here in the next few weeks! Good luck in your search!
I just went and looked at some of these. I'd have to agree that 6 pt auto level is fantastic! I didn't get a chance to look at a Fuzion or Impact, but I checked out Carbon and Raptor....Holy cow..they are awesome! I see what everyone is saying about Raptors. They are fantastically luxurious and very large but heavy and pricy. I was equally impressed with Carbons. You get a lot more for the price difference than I expected. Still quite luxurious and large garage space with lots of extra sleeper options.

Carbon

Raptor
Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
firekat96

We looked at toy haulers for the past year, Raptors and Fuzion. Both very nice, then we looked at the Carbon and we knew we found the one for us. We bought the Carbon 357 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it. As already mentioned they are structurally built the same, it's a few cosmetic things and upgrades, the biggest is the 6 point leveling system. Though it would be nice it was never a must since none of our previous units had it.

We are extremely pleased and the recliners are super comfortable. We just couldn't justify the extra money for the usual 6-8 trips a year we do.

Good luck it's a lot of choices out there.
firekat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #16
MontanaMike

The way my dealer explained it was that a few years ago Keystone had a Raptor "SE" (or LE, can't remember) which was a toned down Raptor. Same chassis, walls, roof, floor plan, etc but not all the luxury items and weighed less. It created some confusion so Keystone spun it off into the Carbon brand. It's by no means an entry level Toy Hauler so get that out of your head. Lots of luxury in our 357 compared to other brands such as Forrest River and Eclipse to name a few but definitely not nearly as fancy as the Raptor or Fuzion.

The biggest advantage I see to the Carbons is that on some models you get the same layout but can carry more cargo which is what I was looking for. A somewhat fancy toy hauler that was lighter weight when dry and could haul more gear. My Carbon 357 is the same floor plan, length, etc as the Raptor 375 but only weighs 12,595 dry and can carry 3,905 in cargo. Contrast the Raptor 375 which is 14,215 dry and can only carry 2,285. Big difference for me so I opted for a little less luxury to get more cargo. Keep in mind "cargo" means water, fuel, toys, food, clothes, etc. A full load of water for the Raptor 375 weighs in a 1,095 pounds!

Plus I don't like beds on a slideout but that's a personal preference and I saved 15-20k in the cost of the coach.

Anyway, it's all personal preference so pick one you like and have fun!
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550X2
MontanaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #17
gtsum2

Good points on the above. I was about ready to get a Fuzion 345 recently as I need a 12ft garage and I want auto level up...dealer snapped a pic of the yellow weight sticker for me and it weighed 13700 dry...about 700 more than I expected...2800 for cargo left would get eaten up quickly with 1000lbs "normal camping gear", another 1500 (minimum) for toys...doesnt leave much for water, etc in the tanks
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #18
firekat96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMike View Post
The way my dealer explained it was that a few years ago Keystone had a Raptor "SE" (or LE, can't remember) which was a toned down Raptor. Same chassis, walls, roof, floor plan, etc but not all the luxury items and weighed less. It created some confusion so Keystone spun it off into the Carbon brand. It's by no means an entry level Toy Hauler so get that out of your head. Lots of luxury in our 357 compared to other brands such as Forrest River and Eclipse to name a few but definitely not nearly as fancy as the Raptor or Fuzion.

The biggest advantage I see to the Carbons is that on some models you get the same layout but can carry more cargo which is what I was looking for. A somewhat fancy toy hauler that was lighter weight when dry and could haul more gear. My Carbon 357 is the same floor plan, length, etc as the Raptor 375 but only weighs 12,595 dry and can carry 3,905 in cargo. Contrast the Raptor 375 which is 14,215 dry and can only carry 2,285. Big difference for me so I opted for a little less luxury to get more cargo. Keep in mind "cargo" means water, fuel, toys, food, clothes, etc. A full load of water for the Raptor 375 weighs in a 1,095 pounds!

Plus I don't like beds on a slideout but that's a personal preference and I saved 15-20k in the cost of the coach.

Anyway, it's all personal preference so pick one you like and have fun!
Great write up. That's the same things we compared in them also, funny about the bed because my wife was totally against the bed on a slide out also. I would not consider it entry level either and I think our 357 is pretty dang luxurious for what we paid for it. We wanted options that we would be using everyday not just once per trip like the auto level, although I'm sure it's nice but it takes me a whole 2 minutes to level ours and to us wasn't worth the money. As long as the wife got her solid surface counter tops we were good.
firekat96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
hdxbonez

For all the previous reasons, we chose the Cougar 326, a middle of the road toyhauler. It's not as big, fancy, or expensive as the Raptor or Fuzion, but does have the features we were looking for, including auto level, 4 season rated, and the garage has it's own exterior entrance. We wont be traveling a lot with this one, it will be mostly a camp on our property in the New Hampshire White Mountains.
hdxbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
jerryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbonez View Post
For all the previous reasons, we chose the Cougar 326, a middle of the road toyhauler. It's not as big, fancy, or expensive as the Raptor or Fuzion, but does have the features we were looking for, including auto level, 4 season rated, and the garage has it's own exterior entrance. We wont be traveling a lot with this one, it will be mostly a camp on our property in the New Hampshire White Mountains.
I like that these are Half-Ton towable. I need to add that to my list to check out at a dealer.