Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
SLCRVING

Carbon 357; filling water tank with jugs?

Hello, any Carbon or Raptor owners, there may be others too with simliar hookups to my Carbon 357. I cannot find or figure out how to fill the water tank from a storage container. I have a 30 gal. drum I usually take on long trips to fill the water tanks if we run out. In my previous trailer, (2013 Sprinter 324 fifth wheel), you could use the winterize hose, turn the suction value and put the intake value in the middle of city and tank fill and it would use the pump to suck the water out of the container and into the trailers water tank. It was fast and easy too! This new carbon has a slightly different setup and I do not see any combination of valve turns, or instructions that would use the pump to suck water from the container and into the tank. While we have 106 gal of fresh water on this new trailer, with two bathrooms, kids, and WIFE I can see myself needing to replenish the tanks on some longer trips we take out in the sticks. I find it silly that you would not be able to fill the tanks without a pressurized city water line, but maybe that's the new cool.
2006 Honda Rancher 400
SLCRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
gilpinbrewer

Is there a small door with a gravity feed to the right of the control center near the slide? I have a Fuzion 371 which is a very similar floorplan and that is where it is located.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
gilpinbrewer

I just looked at some pics of your floorplan on the web and it appears there is no gravity fill option on this rig.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
SLCRVING

yeah...I checked all over for a gravity fill option and nothing. Seems odd to me since even some of the lowest priced trailers I have seen can be filled without a hose, but this trailer it doesn't appear to be possible. My previous trailer and my in-laws trailer both used the pump and winterizer hose to fill the tank, but that doesn't work either. I removed the panel that covers the back of the docking station to expose all the hoses and lines. I can see a potential easy modification with some pex piping and a value to make it possible but I would prefer to find out Im just not understanding the correct way to do it.
2006 Honda Rancher 400
Old 02-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Some owners in your "situation" have resorted to pulling out the stainless screen from the fresh water tank vent port and using a piece of 1/2" PEX hose to slide down into that opening and filled the tank that way. There's a couple of threads on the forum from a few months ago about doing that. You should find them by searching for "GRAVITY" and "VENT SCREEN".

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
SLCRVING

I hadn't thought about that...but I dont see why it wouldn't work! I'll look up those threads for additional information on that. Thanks!
2006 Honda Rancher 400
Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
BOWWOW

My Fuzion has 2 ways, the gravity fill door. Or the city water connection has a valve that you can turn from normal flow to fill. The fill option goes directly into the tank, you can use the pump this way . I do the same thing when I dry camp from a 55 gallon drum.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
Bman916
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCRVING View Post
Hello, any Carbon or Raptor owners, there may be others too with simliar hookups to my Carbon 357. I cannot find or figure out how to fill the water tank from a storage container. I have a 30 gal. drum I usually take on long trips to fill the water tanks if we run out. In my previous trailer, (2013 Sprinter 324 fifth wheel), you could use the winterize hose, turn the suction value and put the intake value in the middle of city and tank fill and it would use the pump to suck the water out of the container and into the trailers water tank. It was fast and easy too! This new carbon has a slightly different setup and I do not see any combination of valve turns, or instructions that would use the pump to suck water from the container and into the tank. While we have 106 gal of fresh water on this new trailer, with two bathrooms, kids, and WIFE I can see myself needing to replenish the tanks on some longer trips we take out in the sticks. I find it silly that you would not be able to fill the tanks without a pressurized city water line, but maybe that's the new cool.
I have had my 357 for a few weeks now and have gone through it pretty good. Above the water heater there is a upside down u shaped black cap. Lift it up to remove it. That's the over flow. Use a Philips screw driver to remove the screen. And rig up a hose with a large funnel and pour it in. That's the best way I have found anyway. If you figure out a better way please let me know. Did you find the trap door in the bedroom to the basement? I didn't until last week....
Bman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
shortedout96

On my holiday rambler I use a 12v Water Transfer Pump
shortedout96 is offline   Reply With Quote