Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
dpcrf450

Bolt It On Dirt Bike Chocking System

Anyone have experience with this dirt bike tie down system. Looks like a great solution to my multi bike transport /secure issue. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
trueweb

It looks very cool, I also considered it.

I wound up using the Risk Racing Lock-N-Load. They are super easy to use and I am using the full size version for all the bikes I have carried to date including a TTR-125L. They have a mini version for smaller bikes. There are a few inconveniences with 2-stroke pipes, but I just lean the bike as I roll it in or push down the locks slightly to get around that.

I was going to have to drill holes in the floor no matter what, my raptor had anchor points in it, so that helped. If I already had anchors the bolt-it-on would have been a little more appealing since there would have been no drilling required. Install was easy though, I just laid them out on the floor, used a sharpie to mark the holes then drilled the floor. I used a large thick washer on the bottom then smothered it in silicone. to seal the vapor barrier. Of course I checked clearance below, the fuel tank is under there!

I chose the Lock-N-Load because the mounts are almost flush on the floor and they have nice tie-down loops built into them. They remove easily with toggle-type bolts and you don't need to mess with tie down straps. You can load bikes in backward (some recommend this for 2-strokes) and you can mount them on the floor offset so you can fit more bikes side-by-side.

The only problem I had was one of the auto-locking pins failed when the spring managed to get past the pin. It would stick due to the friction. I could use it, but I had to use a screwdriver to pop the pin and release the lock. I just took it apart, found the problem and fixed it. The entire mechanism is serviceable, which is pretty cool.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but I did look at both and chose the lock-n-load, happy with the decision.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Way Of Life

Although I liked the concept, I did not like the price. If your multi bike option includes street bikes, as is my situation does, I opted for 2 Harbor Freight chocks. I then took 2" square tubing cut to 95" long. I drilled 3 holes that would line up with the 3 front tie down locations. This will allow me to attach the square tube securely to the floor using 1/2"-13 J-hooks.

Knowing that I would occasionally haul 1 or 2 motorcycles, I also drilled connecting holes centered on the square tube to allow the wheel chock to be positioned in the center of the garage, thus allowing equal weight distribution.

I wanted the luxury of being able to load motorcycles by myself using the locking chock. This option is not available on the Bolt It On system.

Total cost was $150.00......
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Desert185

Be careful with the cheap HF chocks. My GS broke one. I now use a very stout Condor.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Way Of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Be careful with the cheap HF chocks. My GS broke one. I now use a very stout Condor.
So what broke on the HF chock?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Desert185

The tubular loop that wraps around the front tire.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Way Of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The tubular loop that wraps around the front tire.
I know what chock you are speaking of. That is not the style that I used.

The one I am referring to resembles a Condor but at a more economical price. I did far to many hours of forum research to decide that the users of this Harbor Freight chock are satisfied with the performance and even more happy with the price. Users ranged from small British bikes to full dress Harleys and Goldwings.

Here is a link for reference....
http://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycl...ock-97843.html
Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Desert185

That looks sturdy enough. I chose the made in USA Condor because I can remove it from the mounting plate to get it out of the way for hauling other things, and it helps support my local bike shop. Good guys and free tire mounting, including the PITA quad tires.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
MBD

photos required

Way of Life - I'd sure like to see some photos of your set up. Unfortunately I need help visualizing...

I really like the idea of not having to drill holes to mount a chock. Not because I don't want to drill the holes, but only to avoid having to drop the floor and work around the tanks.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
One Happy Camper

The Risk Lock and Load system that attaches to the foot pegs looks very cool. I got our Condor chocks off craigslist, but if I was shopping for a new system, and next time I do, I'll take a long, hard look at those.
One Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
Way Of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBD View Post
Way of Life - I'd sure like to see some photos of your set up. Unfortunately I need help visualizing...

I really like the idea of not having to drill holes to mount a chock. Not because I don't want to drill the holes, but only to avoid having to drop the floor and work around the tanks.
Will post some photos in the next 10-14 days. Am out of town for work but will try to give you a visual when I get the chance.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:45 AM   #12
dave-g

50k toy hauler+ 15k motorcycle+ cheap tie down= big mess. spend some money and get good quality stuff to protect your toys.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Beerdude41867

Had it for two years. Strap four dirt bikes to it. Works awesome!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:39 AM   #14
Way Of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
50k toy hauler+ 15k motorcycle+ cheap tie down= big mess. spend some money and get good quality stuff to protect your toys.
Never understood some people's reasoning that something has to be expensive to get good quality.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
Never understood some people's reasoning that something has to be expensive to get good quality.
It's true, you can spend good money for poor quality.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
T3/T4 Hybrid

I've used the less expensive tire chalks from Harbor Freight with good success on hauling my KTM and my buddies dual sports. The big problem I have found with moving dual sports and dirt bikes is the amount of travel in the front forks. Its easy for the forks travel to exceed the tie downs tension and then the tie down has been compromised which will let your motor fall over or even worse fall off! Whatever system you decide to go with purchase a fork support for each motor you are transporting. It will greatly stabilize the motor and make transportation a lot safer. Plus it's easier on your motor's fork seals too.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #17
Milty911

I have looked into the boltiton product and like it for a couple reasons. You don't need to fabricate and drill holes into the garage floor. It is removable so when not in use you can break it down and put it away. I do agree it is pricier than the chock option but we aren't parking dirt bikes but our sweet *** Harleys.. Until the manufactures engineer an option for their garages this is one of the best set ups IMHO. My decision to go with Keystone over the others was the welded D rings as apposed to the bolted option..
Milty911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
trueweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3/T4 Hybrid View Post
I've used the less expensive tire chalks from Harbor Freight with good success on hauling my KTM and my buddies dual sports. The big problem I have found with moving dual sports and dirt bikes is the amount of travel in the front forks. Its easy for the forks travel to exceed the tie downs tension and then the tie down has been compromised which will let your motor fall over or even worse fall off! Whatever system you decide to go with purchase a fork support for each motor you are transporting. It will greatly stabilize the motor and make transportation a lot safer. Plus it's easier on your motor's fork seals too.
I agree on the fork braces, keep things a little more stable in the twisties.

Caribiner style tiedowns with a soft tie loop included really help prevent the tip-overs too.

Still, in the back of an RV I'm pretty much sold on the Lock-N-Load's they are great for dirt bikes and probably dual sports too. Clamping the footpegs takes all the sway out. They are easy to remove and once removed they leave two D-rings in the floor that can be used as tie downs for other gear.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
GaryBro

I bought a Harbor Freight wheel chock (knock off Condor) and found it very sturdy. At first, it did not work because of the sideways play in the system. My KLR650 would not stand up, just a little sideways pressure and it would fall over. I ended up putting several big washers on the bolts for the upright and the rocking foot. I put these between the frame and the piece, taking up all of the sideways free play. I've now had the chock for a couple years and it works great. Bikes with thin front tires (like a 3.00) are a little bit of a problem to stand upright with no tie downs, but bikes with wider tires are OK.
2014 Sherco 250
GaryBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
Berg570FE

This is a VERY permanent install. But very slick, and keeps things nice and clean!

2017 Ford F350 Platinum Crewcab SRW
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote