Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
nyquackattack

New Cougar Hot Water Bypass

Just a quick question for the group. I have a New Cougar tt (our first new camper always had second hand ones). I am de-winterizing it and cant seem to locate the bypass valve. the heater is located left side under master bed in the front compartment. It is boxed off by a wood wall that is screwed and stapled seemingly into place six ways to Tuesday. From inside the camper where the water pump sits I can see the lines leading into the HW tank area, again behind a better wall. All my other campers I have had the valve was easily located but it seems even if I remove the walls in the front pass thru compartment I would still need to reach around to the front of the tank and wouldn't be able to see where the valve is easily.

I really don't want to go exploring by unscrewing the "box" especially since its a brand new trailer.

Anyone have a thought???
nyquackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The valve is usually located on the rear of the WH. I can not see mine but if I feel the bottom tee at the end of the vertical tube, there is a lever on the side towards the WH. 1/4 turn on and 1/4 turn it's off and I can do it with one finger. If you can reach that vertical tube you should be able to do it also. I do mine with city or pump on so I can hear it fill. The WH is designed to work with an air pocket to allow for expansion .... opening the T&P valve on the tank releases this air pocket and pressure can build while water is heating. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
nyquackattack

Thanks

I couldn't quite feel it so I broke down and unscrewed the box from the floor so I could get to it. All set now, only concern is it was supposed to still be winterized and it was already full of water??? oh well flushed everything out and no leaks found so at least it seems nothing froze. I usually do it the way you do it too, like to hear that water going in the minute I turn the valve, wait till I cant hear it anymore wait a bit longer run cold water thru the lines to make sure tank is full then turn it on.

Pete
nyquackattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
by-pass valve, hot water