Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
halfprice

BAL Hide A Spare Install

I got the BAL Hide a Spare several weeks ago but just now had time to install it. It took about 7 weeks to get. Which is about the amount of time the website said it would take. Here's the site I got it from:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-Hi...-p/92-0152.htm

I really like the spare under the trailer and not riding in the back of my truck. Its out of sight and gives me more room in my truck bed. I originally had the spare on the bumper but it would hit my driveway when backing in.

So I got the I-Beam mount. Someone posted on the original thread that he needed to add fillers because there was a gap on the bracket to where it bolted on to the frame. I did not have this problem. The brackets lined up just fine. I did have some different problems doing the install but it did not have anything to do with the Hide A Spare.

SO to begin I decided to install it between the cross beam and the slide bar. I picked this spot because the only other area would mean relocating my rear jacks.

Here's a few picks

Underside of my 5th

I have a 24' 5th and there is little room under the trailer. The pic shows the only two spots open for the BAL.

Well I got one side mounted and realized the other side would not go. THe spare tire was a little to wide and it was hitting either the slide bar or the cross member. SO this meant it would have to go to the very rear and the jacks would have to come off.

Got the right side jack off no problem. It was only held on with two self tapping screws. The left side had the same two self tapping screws but it was also spot welded. I couldn't get it off with the tools I had. Called a buddy who has everything. He suggested using an angle grinder which I didn't have. SO he came over and we just used a sawzall.

With the jacks removed it was a simple install. We lifted the BAL onto the I-Beams. Marked a couple holes onto the I-Bean and drilled two holes. I decided to bolt it to the frame. I believe someone said to used self tapping screws but I like the added strength of nuts and bolts. THen off to the other side. Two more holes two more nuts and bolts. Its installed

I added four self tapping screws to each side since there were that many predrilled holes on each bracket. Reinstalled the jacks using self tapping screws and its all done.

Sorry for the bad pics. Not sure what someone would what to see but I was asked to show pics on the other thread when I said I was buying this.

If you are going to install this it would be easiest to have two guys. THat way someone could hold the unit in place while the other is drilling the opposite side. Although I had a few problems it was really an easy install. Hope this helps someone else.

Here's a pic of my new toy sitting next to the 5th.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
TandE

The only picture I would like to see is it extended to get to the spare.

Nice toy, I always wanted to get a new camaro.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
KMH

Thank you for posting this! I stumbled across this product in the catalog from my local RV parts store, and searched it to find this thread. Very helpful, looks like it'd be perfect for my '12 235EXP.
KMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
halfprice

A couple of things to add to help in the install.

1) When mounting the brackets use a couple of self tapping screws first. They go in easy and hold the bracket fine. Then if you want to add a bolt or two to the bracket it won't move when drilling.

2) Mount the removable side first. After installing the bracket, screw the retaining bolt into place then mount the hinged side. This lines the bars up properly.

I first did my install opposite. The retaining bolt was very difficult to screw in. I guess I moved the bracket a bit when drilling the holes.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
KMH

Great, thanks!

Also, Did you move the spare to the underside so that you could do a hitch or bike rack/hitch? Our 2012 235EXP does not have a rear bumper, which (in my opinion) is better, as the bike rack will be closer to the hitch when I install it.

Are the I-Beam frames on these trailers beefy enough to accept a hitch? I will ONLY use it for a bike rack, hopefully a 5 bike carrier.

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
halfprice

My spare was originally mounted on the rear bumper. I park my trailer on my driveway which has a small incline. When backing in the spare and the mounting bracket would scrape the driveway. So I took it off and started carrying it in the back of my truck. This was a pita while camping. The BAl was the answer for me.

I can't advise you about mounting a hitch to the I-beams, but I would think if its welded to them you shouldn't have a problem. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will help you out.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
KMH

Thanks for your reply. I am having the frame inspected by a small-town licensed trailer manufacturer locally. We'll see what he says.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
theeyres

Great idea! My Hideout has the power cord recess partially behind the spare tire, making it almost impossible to get out and in. Can't move the tire over or it would be in front of the furnace vent. Great design. LOL I hadn't seen this mod before and plan to buy one.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I ordered one for my Cougar without looking carefully at the frame. Thinking it was a box channel frame, I ordered the underslung for box channel. It came in about 5 or 6 days. Last week when it was in the 40's, I hauled it over to the pole barn to install it. Well, as luck would have it, the Cougar is an I beam frame, so I've got a "chunk of metal" that won't fit LOL

I reordered the correct one that day and got an email that it was backordered until April 4.

If you're looking for one, the best price I've seen is a PPL Motorhomes. Any of the 4 models, (I Beam recessed, I Beam underslung, Box channel recessed or Box channel underslung) are on sale for $99 with $9.99 shipping for a couple more days.

I don't know which ones are backordered, but the box channel underslung was shipped the day after ordering it.

PPL Motorhomes can be found here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/b...de-a-spare.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Domf

New guy here, but I have been following this thread. Did you actually get the BAL tire carrier shipped for $9.99? When I go to that web site it comes up $120.00 freight! RVupgrades has this carrier for $86.00, and the shipping (freight) is about $80.00. I like the product, but it cost as much to ship as the part.
Dom
Domf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
KMH

I picked mine up from my local RV parts store for $89 plus tax. He had it shipped with the rest of his order, which qualified for free shipping over a certain amount.

Check local--you may be surprised at how much better off you'd be buying local on some items. Not to mention supporting your local store, who is there when you need something here and now, and/or service items.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domf View Post
New guy here, but I have been following this thread. Did you actually get the BAL tire carrier shipped for $9.99? When I go to that web site it comes up $120.00 freight! RVupgrades has this carrier for $86.00, and the shipping (freight) is about $80.00. I like the product, but it cost as much to ship as the part.
Dom
That shipping is crazy. I just checked and my shipping was $26 for a total of $112.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Dom
PPL Motorhomes shipped me one in January with the $9.99 shipping. I ordered the wrong one (for a box frame). I reordered the correct one, they sent me an Email that it was backordered until April, so I told them to keep it on order. Then, about a week ago, they called me saying that they couldn't honor the $9.99 shipping and it would be $126. It seems UPS won't accept them as they are "oversized". I explained that they already had shipped one, the lady was reluctant, I asked to speak to her supervisor. After a bit of "heated discussion" he agreed to ship it this time. I went to the website just now and apparently they have corrected the link to the $9.99 shipping.

I'd think that maybe a local RV parts place would be able to get it for you with little or at least much less shipping than PPL.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
DJ85

I ordered mine on march 12 and never recieved any shipping infomation. I called today and recieved notice that it has a delivery date of april 16. I have to wait and see if they still will ship for the $9.99 shipping rate that was indicated when I ordered it. I have a reciept showing the $9.99 shipping charge so I guess we will just wait and see what happens. The way my luck goes I am guess there will be problems as well

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
I ordered mine on march 12 and never recieved any shipping infomation. I called today and recieved notice that it has a delivery date of april 16. I have to wait and see if they still will ship for the $9.99 shipping rate that was indicated when I ordered it. I have a reciept showing the $9.99 shipping charge so I guess we will just wait and see what happens. The way my luck goes I am guess there will be problems as well
The person that I was dealing with is JoAnn Almaraz. I don't have her supervisor's name handy right now, but she is the one that sent the initial email saying they couldn't honor the $9.99 shipping and the one I corresponded/talked with to get the problem resolved. Apparently, the warehouse will get mine in on April 2 and it is supposed to ship on April 4 via R&L Trucking. Here's hoping they will honor their invoice price for you as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Domf

Thanks for the reply's. Well I took KMH, suggestion and called 3 local RV dealers. Two of them do not carry this product, and the third said he has had a lot of inquiries for it and he can get one for me for around $119.00. I need to let him know which one to get. I have the I beam frame, that is exposed (without underbelly enclosure). How do you measure the width of the I beam, I measured across the bottom of them and get 71.250" at the furthest measurement. Is this considered there 70", as that is the only width they offer. The way this thing mounts and works, it looks like there is some leeway in the 70" frame width measurement.
Dom
Domf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
DJ85

I am just hoping that when I talked to them yesterday for an update on the shipping date since they didnt say anything about not being able to ship for the advertised $9.99 maybe I wont have a problem.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's. Well I took KMH, suggestion and called 3 local RV dealers. Two of them do not carry this product, and the third said he has had a lot of inquiries for it and he can get one for me for around $119.00. I need to let him know which one to get. I have the I beam frame, that is exposed (without underbelly enclosure). How do you measure the width of the I beam, I measured across the bottom of them and get 71.250" at the furthest measurement. Is this considered there 70", as that is the only width they offer. The way this thing mounts and works, it looks like there is some leeway in the 70" frame width measurement.
Dom
I'm probably the "last to trust" on the BAL spare carrier since I screwed up and ordered the wrong one for myself, but yes, your measurements are correct and the one you want is the 70" wide one. If you have exposed beams and no coroplast screwed in place between the two I-beams, you want the recessed mount, Model 28217. If you have I-beams and coroplast covering the bottom, you want the underslung version, Model 28218.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
halfprice

I believe 70" is the dimension of the BAL fully pushed in. It expands a good couple of feet. YOu need the expansion to get to the spare so you don't have to crawl under the trailer to get it.

I checked PPL's price and it has the $129 shipping price. I also checked RVUpgrades.com which is where I got mine. THey have $77 for shipping. I don't think they will sell many with that shipping cost.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
outwest

Our Vantage came from factory with an under-belly crank mount for spare (similar to what pickups have), so I don't need this, but because I was curious about the whole PPL shipping thing, I stumbled upon this
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/b...ailer-tray.htm

(also on sale at Camping World, and where I'll probably buy it)

Will have to measure on the trailer to make sure it'll clear the front cap, but assuming it will, thanks for helping me to spend more money lol!

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote