Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
Buzzy

Modification to outdoor kitchen sink

I was just wondering if anyone has modified the sink in the outdoor kitchen. I have a 2013 Hideout 31 RBDS with the outdoor kitchen the problem is the sink, I would like to put in a drain and just drain it down to a bucket, or put in a whole new sink with a drain. The sink that came with it is like a "bedpan". I figured I would throw it out there and see what others say
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Bob Landry

That sink is one of the most useless pieces of equipment Keystone ever installed on a trailer. If you drain it into a bucket, that gives you a container of grey water to dispose of. Add to that the two burner cooktop that won't let you cook with anything but a small frying pan or pot, and you have a total waste of space.
I removed all of that stuff(I didn't want an outdoor kitchen anyway), took out the water faucet, capped the water lines inside under the sink that fed it and now use it to store a Camp Chef Weekender stove. It's a perfect fit. I reattached the looped wires that came on it and use the drop down door as a work table while I'm grilling or cooking fish.

BTW, the Camp Chef stoves are the nads. Two 30K BTU burners that will cook fish, boil crawfish, or fry a turkey. It's a whole new dimension of outdoor cooking.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
AnolaBob

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That sink is one of the most useless pieces of equipment Keystone ever installed on a trailer. If you drain it into a bucket, that gives you a container of grey water to dispose of. Add to that the two burner cooktop that won't let you cook with anything but a small frying pan or pot, and you have a total waste of space.
I removed all of that stuff(I didn't want an outdoor kitchen anyway), took out the water faucet, capped the water lines inside under the sink that fed it and now use it to store a Camp Chef Weekender stove. It's a perfect fit. I reattached the looped wires that came on it and use the drop down door as a work table while I'm grilling or cooking fish.

BTW, the Camp Chef stoves are the nads. Two 30K BTU burners that will cook fish, boil crawfish, or fry a turkey. It's a whole new dimension of outdoor cooking.

Bob, you should like the kind of guy people want to party with. Good idea, the outdoor utilities are too small to really do anything well with.
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Larimie Longhorn
2013 Can Am 1000 XMR, T4S tracks and 2011 XTP quads, snow plow
'68 Chevy Pickup w/502
Bud and Blu, the black dogs
AnolaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
GaryWT

So this must be the same sink as the Outbacks have, is the Hideout kitchen the same fold down little thing? I have the full outside kitchen where the sink goes to the grey tank, very handy. Friends have that sink, I do not believe they use it at all or maybe just to wash hands quickly. If you cut it and add a hose then you will be carrying the bucket someplace to dump it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
So this must be the same sink as the Outbacks have, is the Hideout kitchen the same fold down little thing? I have the full outside kitchen where the sink goes to the grey tank, very handy. Friends have that sink, I do not believe they use it at all or maybe just to wash hands quickly. If you cut it and add a hose then you will be carrying the bucket someplace to dump it.
Mine is the Outback version that has a drop down door on the side of the trailer. The stove is small and the sink is just a pan with no drain. The swing out version, to me, wouldn't offer much more utility. The stove is the same, the sink does drain into the grey tank, but a 110V refrigerator doesn't do much except store drinks and then only if you have FHU. With outdoor storage being in such short supply on Keystone trailers, I would have rather seen that space put to better use, but then, they don't pay me to design trailers.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
GaryWT

I know everyone does not like the outside kitchen but I love mine. We do have drinks in the outside fridge but I like it when we are cooking on a hot day the food goes in there while waiting to be cooked or extra that does not get cooked etc. The previous trailer we used our own coleman stove, this one has the stove already, we shall see how it works. The sink is great to do the dishes etc.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
cathcartww

Our Outback has the fold down outside galley with just the two burner stove and the drainless basin. It works great for just the two of us - probably would not serve as well for cooking for a gang. Our big frying pan fits on the burner OK, and the basin is fine for rinsing things off - not much for really washing dishes. We have mounted a grill on the side of the trailer just forward of the galley, and the whole deal makes a nice workspace.

The only problem we had with it was the compartment was sealed up so tight that if anything was wet when you folded it up, it would not dry, and things would get funky. We fixed that by drilling some drain holes in the shelf, and some vent holes in the compartment and making sure things are dry before folding it up.

I can see where adding a drain might give a little more flexibilty for washing dishes and such, it really isn't too hard to remove the dish pan and dump it ..

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
x96mnn

Have the outdoor kitchen and will never own a camper without one. Sink is perfect for our use, washing hands and wiping down things, major dishes are done inside. Neighbour is trying to trade his 2012 without one for a camper with one now.

To each their own, although way more models without one then with one.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
robo

?? Is it gray water if it does not go into the grey water tank ?
Do you cat h all the water that drips off when u wash your coach also
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Robo, Most campgrounds don't allow you to wash your coach on the campsite, nor do they allow you to throw "gray water" on the ground. It's not that the water is "environmentally unfriendly" so much, but rather it is "nasty" at times depending on what dishes were washed and throwing it on the ground may well make a mess the next campers shouldn't have to endure. I know I really don't want someone else's dried up three day old mac and cheese right beside my RV door.....

So, washing the RV, throwing "gray water" on the ground (depending on what's in it) are done in many places, but usually not in a heavily populated campground. Try it at Disneyworld's campground and you'll be politely asked to leave. If you can't throw it on the ground, then a bucket, port-a-tote or plumbing to the gray or black tank are probably the best options.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
tafty77

I have a new 31rbds and my sink on the outside kitchen is plummed to the grey water tank. Hmm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
tafty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
cathcartww

I think there is a little confusion as, at least on the Outbacks, there are two kinds of outside kitchen. Some models have a large, full size outdoor kitchen has a stove, refridgerator, and plumbed in sink:

Some other floorplans have a smaller "outside camp kitchen" that is just a stove and an fascet with a non-drained wash basin:

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
tafty77

I think the lhs model is not plummed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
tafty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
crohill

I have the sink that is drain-less as well. I know that people want to put a drain on it and drain into a bucket...but some are saying that you will have a bucket full of grey water to deal with...my question is...what do tent campers do after washing dishes...and if it does not drain into a bucket...and I just dump the little sink...am I hurting the ground anymore than a tent camper?

It's just water used to wash hands and clean a dish or two...I could think of a lot worse things to do to mother nature than that.

Love my outdoor kitchen...the only bad part is no awing on the 2920BH Passport.. gotta make sure everything is put away every night in case of rain.

Will be modding an awning in the near future.

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote