Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Jim7411

Obstruction in fresh water fill line

I've got a 2012 Laredo 324rl and there's what seems to be an obstruction in the fresh water fill line. When I try to add water, it bubbles back out. I was going to drop the belly cover to access the tank, but the propane line runs the entire length on that side. I'm reluctant to bug the dealer about something I can fix myself, although it's still under warranty. Any ideas on how to deal with this? Maybe some way to snake the line?
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7411 View Post
I've got a 2012 Laredo 324rl and there's what seems to be an obstruction in the fresh water fill line. When I try to add water, it bubbles back out. I was going to drop the belly cover to access the tank, but the propane line runs the entire length on that side. I'm reluctant to bug the dealer about something I can fix myself, although it's still under warranty. Any ideas on how to deal with this? Maybe some way to snake the line?
There is probably a kink in the line. We've heard numerous reports of this here before. If you can get at the high end of the fill line from inside the trailer, you may be able to loosen the worm clamp and turn the hose to straighten it out. My Cougar has a removable cover inside that is held in place with a couple of screws. Depending on your layout, the backside of the fill maybe in the bottom of a cabinet or similar location.

If it wasn't under warranty, I'd suggest removing the fill hatch to do this if you can't access it from inside. It's held in place with some screws and butyl putty tape. That's your call on that.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
geo

Jim7411 -

On my 2011 Alpine, the fresh water line ran for a distance unsupported - in other words, in mid-air. At one end of this unsupported run was a cable tie which provided a "turning point" for the fresh water fill line to turn and descend into the lower underbelly to complete its run to the fresh water tank. When I tried to fill this water line, once I poured less than a gallon of water into the line, it stared bubbling back. I removed the storage basement wall to examine the line and found that by adding water, the line sagged under the weight of the water. In turn, it pulled the fresh water fill line against the cable tie, effectively pinching the line shut. To solve this problem, I had to re-route the fresh water fill line so that the cable tie and right angle bend were eliminated.

Now, this is not to say that your Laredo is configured in the same way as my Alpine, but it may be something you might want to look at before pulling the coroplast. Can you remove the storage basement wall to see the line? Is there access panels which can be removed to see the line? As a final resort, remove several of the bolts holding the coroplast on the opposite side - away from the gas line - to give enough slack that you can pull the coroplast down a little to shine a flashlight inside to see the fresh water fill line. I have been all through the underbelly of the Alpine, so you might want to check my old postings on Mods and Repairs for pictures, might give you an idea of what to look for.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Jim7411

Thanks guys! I'll give it another try. This forum is great!!
Jim7411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
steve eboe

When I had a similar problem, I discovered the little round screen above the filler inlet was clogged with dirt and corrosion. I carefully cleaned out the screen with a tiny sewing needle and then spayed the screen with some of that compressed air in a can. After that, I was able to fill the freshwater tank easily without the water bubbling out until the tank was full.
steve eboe
steve eboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
therink

Had this problem in my last fiver when new. Excess fill line was causing sag. I accessed the interior wall at the fill, pulled the excess line up through the floor, cut off excess and reconnected. Worked fine after that.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

I have the same problem. Had the tech. check it out when I had it in for
another problem. As I have one of those useless sliding bike racks at the
back end of the FW, to access the water tank to drop it so I can re-route
or shorten the fill hose and ventline. I've decieded that I only need to have
about 1/2 a tank to cover any unexpected interruptions to the water service.
"Adapt, Overcome, Survive"

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
ktmracer

I'd also check the vent line. In ours, the vent line had a drop in it like a "P" trap, and of course then it IS a "P" trap, and once water got in it, it was no longer a vent tube, and no way to relieve the pressure in the tank as it filled. A few zip ties fixed the problem.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve eboe View Post
When I had a similar problem, I discovered the little round screen above the filler inlet was clogged with dirt and corrosion. I carefully cleaned out the screen with a tiny sewing needle and then spayed the screen with some of that compressed air in a can. After that, I was able to fill the freshwater tank easily without the water bubbling out until the tank was full.
Yes, I experienced the same problem once. Always check the vent line as well since a clogged vent can produce very similar symptoms to a clogged/kinked fill line.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
IdahoSRT10

The vent line (near the fill port) often becomes trapped with water, get a 3ft long tubing that fits the vent outlet and blow the vent clear.
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote