Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Javi

When an enigma become a conundrum

What to do, oh what to do????

We've been looking at the Cougar 333 MKS for several months and were only waiting for the Southwest RV show last weekend in Dallas to check out a few other brands to see if any caught the DW's fancy. After the show we drove 200 miles RT to check with the "local" Cougar dealer for pricing and trade values on the Passport.

I already knew we would take a hit on the Passport and was prepared for it, so no surprise there. But I was blown away by the pricing. Having already spent several months scouring the internet and seeing the various offerings on the 333 MKS I was ill prepared for their pricing.

Still in shock that we couldn't get within $10K of the lowest price from the internet, or within $4K of what another Texas dealer offered on the same trailer (both offers were in writing and shown to the "local dealer"). I know there is a big plus in buying from the local dealer, especially one with which you have history; but come on is it really worth $4K to $10K???

For reference the $10K dealer is in Indiana (1K miles one way) and the $4K Texas dealer is 300 miles away one way.

With the Indiana dealer I would just sell the Passport before buying but the Texas dealer would take it in trade for a reasonable price difference. Either way I take a hit and I'm prepared for that, knew it going in when we bought the Passport that it would "cost" us to trade up so that's moot.

The big question is... Do I save $10K and drive 2K to do it or do I save $4K and drive 600 miles... either way I got to hunt for a service center to do any warranty work....

What y'all think???
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
What to do, oh what to do????

The big question is... Do I save $10K and drive 2K to do it or do I save $4K and drive 600 miles... either way I got to hunt for a service center to do any warranty work....

What y'all think???
Javi -
If it were me, I think I'd rather save $10K than save $4K. Obviously, it will cost you more to travel 2000 miles than 600 miles but you would still be saving a significant chunk of money. In spite of the increased time and inconvenience of have to travel so far, I think it would be well worth it.

Instead of driving 2000 miles, have you considered flying? A heck of a lot faster and probably not that much more expensive ????

As you pointed out, the key in either situation is to find a dealership or repair facility that will honour any warranty work and; at the same time, provide you with good customer service. Unless you are the exception to the "rule", you will probably have to take it in for some kind of warranty work during the first year.

Good luck in finding a solution to your conundrum.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
labs4life

I would block a week, drive to Indiana and buy the trailer. Find a close shakedown campground and advise the dealer you will be back to get things "adjusted" before you start the pilgrimage back to TX.

I will seriously consider out of state dealers when we get ready to trade. Everyone says, "buy local", but when the local dealers are significantly higher and the service department is sub par, I would rather keep the change in MY pocket and figure out the warranty work!!

Good luck in your decision!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Javi

That's kind of what I thought but I'm a little uncomfortable buying a trailer from a dealer that far away... can't easily go grab him by the nape of the neck and have a religious meeting out back when the trailer isn't right.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
labs4life

Some of these "discount" dealers have allies that will work with the purchaser on warranty work in their area. See if they can put you in contact with said dealer before the purchase. You could even add that as a condition. But, you still in a bad position there, too.

Come to think of it, I think we are all at the mercy of the dealer "doing the right thing."
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
That's kind of what I thought but I'm a little uncomfortable buying a trailer from a dealer that far away... can't easily go grab him by the nape of the neck and have a religious meeting out back when the trailer isn't right.
Both dealers aren't exactly "close" - or close enough to easily and quickly "grab him by the neck and have a meeting out back".

If you do a thorough PDI and take up the suggestion about camping close by for a bit, you should be ok. If any problems arise during your trial camp, then you will be within "choking distance".

Find a competent, service-oriented dealership nearby your residence who will honour the warranty work BEFORE you commit to going the distance.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
mikell

We drove 6 hours each way to Ohio and saved over $50 a mile. Cheap delivery deal was made before the trip so we took the car and spent a night in it on their lot They delivered for next to nothing less than a week later. Only issue was a cracked table that was sent to a local dealer that couldn't make the deal. They were not happy but we saved a LOT
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
hankaye

Javi, Howdy;

It would be my understanding that any dealer of Keystone
trailers should "Honor" the warranties that are stated by Keystone.
Have you asked Keystone about that?? Seems as if that should be
part of any franchise agreement. Same thing for tow vehicles and cars,
It's a Manufacture's Warranty, not one made by a dealer (spit). You
might even send an inquiry to the Texas Consumer advocate's office.
I'm done grumbling now ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
Lholestine

I just went to a wholesale dealer in march for a passport. $10K less than local dealer. I not only saved that in price but since I bought out of state I didn't have to pay local and county sales tax,(just state tax), another $500 savings which offset my travel expenses. Luckily I have a RV service place within 15 miles that will do all my warranty work and I don't have to deal with the cry babies at the dealer. I will only buy wholesale from now on.

2011 tundra crewmax 5.7L
2013 passport 3220bh
Lholestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
mikell

AHHH sales tax. I didn't have to pay sales tax either till 2 months later the state wanted something $3500. I was not happybut still saved alot over buying in Michigan
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
crash

We bought our Raptor from Tom Johnson rv in concord nc. and they set it up w/ a local dealer around here that I have bought 2 campers from to have them do all of my workWe drove 5 hours and saved a ton of coinage
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
Javi

Yep, I know I'll have to pay Texas sales/use tax on the purchase price but I'd rather pay 6.5% of $32K instead of 6.5% of $42K any day...

By not trading in my Passport I will have to pay the tax on the full amount rather than only on the difference but that's insignificant to the $10K difference in price.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, I know I'll have to pay Texas sales/use tax on the purchase price but I'd rather pay 6.5% of $32K instead of 6.5% of $42K any day...

By not trading in my Passport I will have to pay the tax on the full amount rather than only on the difference but that's insignificant to the $10K difference in price.
Be thankful you're in a state where that "perk" is still available. We were very "unpleasantly" surprised the first time we traded a vehicle in Michigan and found the state collects sales tax on the ENTIRE purchase price (no discount for trade value) on every purchase. Some states don't offer a reasonable tax plan...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Stay in Texas. If you have any major problems, at least that dealer speaks the same language.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
S&Dfz331

You may want to look for a mobile repair guy that can come to your place and honor the warranty work I had to do that a few times when I was full time in mine. It might take a little long to run all the paper work, and I didn't have to go to them.