Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
wms

Passport 2650BH questions

My DH and I have purchased a 2014 Passport 2650BH and are on our 2nd camping trip with it. We have upgraded from a 2002 25FB Outback and are very excited to have the Passport. We have had a couple of issues this week and are hoping someone else out there has experienced the same and can guide us on answers. The first issue is with the air conditioner. It seems to have a mind of its own and either runs constantly, or cuts off and refuses to come back on unless we lower the temp. Today we had it on auto at 72 degrees and after it cut off, the temp in the camper got up to 80. I then lowered the temp to 69 before it came back on. I'm a little confused, since it is supposed to cut off and on when the temp fluctuates. Yesterday it would cut off and back on immediately several times in a row. Do we have a faulty unit, or is this normal?
We also have a power awning which we are totally unfamiliar with. Should we tilt it, bring it in at night, or leave it out and let it "self dump" if a rain storm appears? Do you let an electric awning all the way out, or partially to keep the fabric nice and taunt?
We love our Passport and can't wait to take our granddaughter on her first camping trip in it. She will love all the extra room!!
wms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
f6bits

What's the thermostat on the 2014? Is it the Dometic digital one, or the cheap-o rectangular one with the stick dial? It should never wait until 80 before coming back on if it's set for 72. Do a search here for "hysteresis." I replaced my cheap-o one with a digital one from Home Depot.
http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

In stormy weather, I bring my awning in. Medium to strong wind and rain stress it, which I'd rather not do. On good days, I usually fully extend it. Sometimes just a little if I need minimal shade and/or don't have room to fully extend it.

Other than that, have a blast! My little kids love the thing and are always eager to go on trips. Oh, and under the couch makes for great toy storage. I got a couple of large tubs that slide under the couch.

p.s. I just tried a search here for hysteresis and didn't come with much. I know it's come up *many* times. Maybe the spelling in the posts wasn't correct, so try this: https://www.google.com/search?q=dometic+hysteresis

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Kristi

Our first trip out with ours the a/c seemed to cycle too often, & after a bit of research we realized we were using too much power elsewhere. Try running your fridge & hw tank on gas. Also make sure the vent near the bunks is not blowing on the thermostat.

As for it not coming on.. no clue. That isn't an issue I've ever had.

We pull our awning in at night & if we are away from the TT. We just don't want to run the risk of the wind picking up & damaging it. We have used it extended all the way out & partially out if the site is too narrow with no issues.

Hope you get the a/c issues resolved & enjoy!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Kristi

f6bits- it's a Dometic digital

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
86GT2r

The a/c issue isn't normal. Perhaps a faulty thermostat.
We normally extend our awning all the way, but bring it in if we go away or if higher then normal winds are present. I will angle it to let water run off & leave it out in normal rains, but if nasty weather is expected, I bring it in. I am not in a hurry to have to find out how much a replacement awning would cost.
Good luck with your 2650BH, we really enjoy ours.
---------------------
86GT2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
wms

Thanks for the feedback f6bits and Kristi. The thermostat is a square digital Dometic and I will look at replacing it with a "hysteresis" one to see if that will do the trick, however, I don't want to do anything that will void our warranty.
We have been using our fridge and hot water heater on electric, so switching to gas may make a difference also. DH has already switched the hot water heater over.
Thanks for the tips on the awning! Having a power awning is totally different than a manual one and much easier to bring in and out. I definitely don't want to do anything to damage it, so it will be coming in at night and when we are away from the TT.
One more question. We are finding it more difficult to stabilize our 2650BH from constantly rocking when we are moving around inside. Our Outback was a little easier to stabilize than this one, but it was also a little shorter. We are using blocks under the jacks so they are not fully extended, and we have 4 screw type stabilizers currently as close to the leaf springs as we can get them. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
f6bits

I don't know how easy it is to replace the digital Dometic thermostat. I think it has more advanced connections to the rooftop AC unit. This might become a warranty issue.

We also have some of the rocking. Most of it caused by side-to-side motion. It can be greatly reduced with stabilizer bars such as these:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...zing-bar/37028
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...iler-kit/69725
http://www.steadyfast.com (my favorite of the bunch)

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
JoePK

Rocking

Hello, I bought a pair of these (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...el-chock/71248) for our 266rlssr, and they made a huge improvement on eliminating the rocking.
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Lmccraw

We have a 2013 2650bh. I concur with everything Kristi said. We had issues with cycling on and off...brilliant idea about checking direction of the vent at that bunk.

And ditto about pulling too much by way of amps. We cannot run AC at full throttle and microwave without tripping breaker inside. Add a hair dyer to that mix...and it's a full on brown out.

And we always close awning at night. But otherwise fully extend and leave it alone. When trailer is level, the awning will shed water nicely at end farthest from door.

2013 Passport 2650BH GT
Tow vehicle: 2012 Ford Expedition EL
Lmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
rrohrer

i'm not sure about a/c issue. with awning we keep close eye on weather forecasts and bring it in if wind or strong storms forecasted. the electric ones seem a little less stable to me in the wind. you can turn the handle on the arm of one side and drop that side down an inch or two to help rain runoff. we do that alot. and then we keep it up if its just raining without a lot of wind
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
wms

Oh wow! A lot of great comments and suggestions here! I am now hooked on the Keystone forums! Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

We broke camp this morning to come home. We were going to be driving close by to the dealership we bought it at and called to see if they would be able to do a quick check on it. Turns out it was a faulty thermostat and the dealer replaced it with another one under warranty. It seems to be working well so far, but only time will tell. I will always be aware of pulling too many amps from now on.

Thank you for the awning and stabilization suggestions. We will be going out again soon and will definitely have more stabilization underneath!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Mustange65

Low return air?

We had the same rapid cycling of the digital Dometic in our 2013 2650BH. The other night, we had this happen and let me just state what I did. First of all, all ACs require an equal volume of return air, and logically, that RA would be warmer than the output conditioned air.
So, after being baffled by this constant cycling during the night, I remembered the above thermal principles. I realized that I had pulled both bedroom privacy drapes tight shut, since we had other company. This condition "closed off" considerable volume of warmer return air to the AC. The AC, by cycling on and off rapidly, was, in effect, suffocating itself.
I increased the thermostat by one degree AND fully opened the drapes. In about 3 to 4 cycles, the AC started working normally again. The only conclusion I could come up with is lack of suffiecient volume of RA caused rapid cycling. The available volume of air ratio in an RV is much less than in a home. Before retireing, open bath door, and pull all privacy drapes open, including BH curtains, if any, to increase RA volume potential. Maybe this will work for you especially during very hot ambient temps.
Mustange65 is offline   Reply With Quote