Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
poncho62

Suburban SW6DE water heater

I just bought a 1999 Keystone Springdale 24ft 5th wheel.....Its a fixer upper for sure, been sitting a while. Everything is checking out so far but the water heater. Wont fire up on electric or propane. My first problem is, I have never had one of these combo units, so am not familiar with the controls...There is an on/off switch outside on the heater itself. I get the impression this is for the electric side. I have a feeling the electric heater is burnt out
Then, there is the little panel above the kitchen counter, with the switch and light. I dont know how to go about this. The light is always on. If I press the lower part of the switch where it says reset, it gets brighter. If I press it to the top, it flashes bright red for a second. I take it this is when the igniter should be going off. Am I correct or way off with this?

Either on propane or electric, I am getting nothing. Maybe, I just am doing it wrong

This unit looks pretty corroded and I am wondering if its worth diving into or should I just replace it with a new one?.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
03 Big Sky

I'm doing the same thing with the 10 gallon model. My element is bad... The red light on the wall starts the gas side of things. Turn on gas, switch the red light to on and go see if the gas fires outside, you'll hear it. If not then there's a problem with either gas flow or auto light feature.

I'm replacing my element, cost me $11, the on off switch on the heater operates that.
03 Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
poncho62

Thanks for that.....I seem to have another 120v problem...According to the breaker box, the microwave and water heater are on the same circuit...That seems strange...The microwave has no power, but there is power at the breaker.....Either a broken wire somewhere or there is another fault between the two........Chasing wires I guess
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote