Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Hardway

Freeze Protection Fresh water drain valve

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0050.jpg
Views:	1803
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	3837 This is my second attempt to get this posted..Hope this makes it. Can anyone give me an idea or solution to protecting the freshwater tank drain valve that hangs down out of the belly pan. See attached picture. This is suppose to have the cold weather package (Ha,ha) as noted by the sticky by the door. This is a 2013 381 lev Raptor. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated

Thanks....Hardway
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Bluewater

The cold weather packs are a sales gimmick that has no meaning. The only sure solustion is to drain your system. Sorry
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

I presume you are not winterizing but going to be in it when the temps drop. if you are stationary you can skirt the bottom of the trailer to block the wind. That will get you through a cold night if you want longer you will need to keep it warm. I do not camp in the winter so any advice I give you most likely will be wrong. but when the temps drop and I am still camping I wrap the line with lots of insulation and so far i have been ok others should have better advice!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

First, you should forget about the Arctic/Polar package - it wouldn't do anything for that FW drain pipe but I think you already realize that. If you are going to be either living in it or using it over the winter months, then Barney's suggestions about wrapping and skirting are two things I would do. You can buy various thicknesses of foam pipe wrap and add extra insulation.

I see by the photo that there is a fair length of blue pipe hanging down from the tank. Might be worthwhile to shorten it up which would result in having less pipe exposed to the elements.

If you're not going to be using the RV over the winter, you can either drain the FW tank or remove the shut off valve and just have the pipe/hose open at the end. If it freezes, you won't end up with any water trapped in the valve which could result in the valve cracking.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
hankaye

Hardway, Howdy;

Would you please state why you need to freeze-proof
the drain... for storage, or for staying in and keeping it in use.
Different methods for different purposes.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not sure how much it helps but I put foam pipe insulation on my FW and low point drains. 3/4" size fits best and cable ties holds them on.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Hardway

My intent is not do be living in it in cold climates. But several time traveling North from Arizxona have encountered temp to 15F. Use to do this with Bigfoot Oakland Camper which has sustained temps watered up and several days to -10F (snowmobiling). This rig is going to stand nothing like that watered up. It is more for a transient condition for a South to North trip in Dec or Jan. (Yea I know, wrong way to be going in winter). Plus I like to carry some water for flushing and use of the trailer during the South to North overnites.

Have had the belly pan off to fix a hydraulic leak, and was horrified to see hot and cold water line on the Coroplast, next to openings in the frame for hydraulics. Insulated all lines I could with one section of belly pan out and sealed all holes in the frame.(spray foam). The fresh tank drain though stopped me as to what to do for freeze protection.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider with insulating the water lines in the belly is that any pipe wrap/foam sleeve installed around the individual water lines will isolate them from whatever warmth there might be with the furnace blowing hot air though that questionable 2" furnace ducting. Also, during the day when the temps warm above freezing, insulated water lines won't be able to absorb all the heat from the warmer basement.

It's a "double-edge sword" sometimes as to whether insulating lines is better or worse. In this situation, I don't think there would be much benefit from all the work involved to individually wrap each water line above the coroplast. Now, if some way of heating the space and/or the water lines, that would improve cold weather usability a lot. If you think about the structure, there are two HUGE 10" steel beams, one on each side of that "insulated space" and neither of them has any insulation to keep the cold soak from the steel from transferring into the basement. That's like stacking two huge bags of ice, one on each side of the "warm space"

Let's face it, RV's are huge "energy wasters" with thin walls, minimal insulation, single pane windows (normally), inefficient furnaces, limited ducting, exposed undersides open to the elements with air leaks, holes, thin plastic membranes and open spaces where no heat can travel. I think about the best we can do (without a lot of expense and work) is to try to keep the underbelly warm enough to stay above freezing and if it gets cold enough to freeze, after thawing it out, winterize the water system if temps are going to fall below our "experience level" temp where freezing of lines occurred.

As for insulating the fresh water tank drain, you may be able to adapt one of the foam cups used to protect outside faucets on houses to fit over the drain. While it won't provide any heat, at least it will help prevent the drain line from being exposed to the elements. That might keep it from freezing, at least during travel in "moderately cold" temps.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
hankaye

Hardway, Howdy;

I would suggest shorting the drain line so that it is
extending only the shortest amount to do it's job. Loose the
gawky valve and go with the caps.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...t-fittings.htm
You can also find the flair-it fittings a Home Improvement centers and
Hardware stores. They are compression fittings an generally only require
a good grip to install.
The smaller amount you have showing below the belly pan the less exposure
to the cold and less likely to freeze .....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote