Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
blackty

Gray water leaking

Saw it leaking by the elbow that goes through the belly. Thought maybe the valve body was leaking or there was a bad joint at the elbow. No. Thought the belly looked kind of low. Poked a hole in the low spot, and 10 minutes later the water stopped. Oh no. Cut about 5 feet of the underbelly off to reveal the tank. No holes, cracks or visible water on the tank at all. What I did find, and I will take pictures Friday, is that the monkey that installed the rear support for the tank flange was seeing crooked that day. Only one of the corners was being supported by the brace, allowing the other corner to drop about an inch.(driver's side) My theory is that there is a connection on the top of the tank that is just friction fit that comes apart when the tank sags. I pushed the tank back to the proper height and began to fill it from the shower and bath sink. After a few minutes the tank started creeping down. Drained it and left the valve open for the rest of the weekend. Going to bring an inspection mirror to confirm my theory Friday. Keep you posted...Jim
Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
blackty

My theory was wrong. The pipe in the top of the tank was sealed. So I moved the end of the support that was not touching the flange, drilled new holes in the frame, and reattached the support so it was under the flange. Then I filled the tank all of the way up. It began leaking at the very top side of the tank where it rolls to form the flange. It appears that the stress of the tank's moving with the weight of the water spider cracked the end that was actually supported by the brace. It makes sense because the other side moved up and down with no similar movement on the supported side. Put a call into my salesman and played phone tag a couple of times. Will call tomorrow. Have had it since 10/11(new). Definitely a manufacturing defect. Will see what happens...Jim
Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
KanTC

Thanks for the update Jim. Please keep us posted on the resolution/repair, that (also) would be helpful to others.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
blackty

Definitely a Keystone issue. They made it. By the time I got home today, their "Owner relations" department was closed. From what I have been able to find, I get the feeling I'm going to be on my own here. So with that, the # on the tank is HT516. My brochure says 76 gallons. Look-up on the part number says 34.5 gallons. How many water cooler jugs does it take to fill Jim's gray tank??...Jim
Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
therink

Do you have two grey tanks? Maybe the brochure spec of 76 gallons takes into account of capacity for two grey tanks combined.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
blackty

Yes, there is a separate one for the galley. Although I doubt it is 41.5 gallons. A point I didn't consider. Thanks...Jim
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
therink

On my 2013 Sydney fiver, I believe each of my grey tanks (which are identical) are 37 gal each.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
blackty

One link I found here says 55 for gray and 21 for galley gray.(for the 318sab) Others state the same as you, total capacity divided by number of tanks. I also read that one of the Hanks found a sticker that has the weights of the tanks full(divide by 8 to get gallons)in the cabinet. I'll have to look Friday. Thanks...Jim
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
blackty

As suspected, I'm on my own. "We're sorry, you are out of your warranty period." Even though it was installed incorrectly...Jim